Sets Hour of Devastation Thread

I think the English version doesn't say put into hand unfortunately. Still think this is a good card though as the second half is free. Perfectly justifiable to play IMO, particularly if you go with a top of library mini theme in Simic.

Card does go to your hand if it 'misses', I think.

I'll probably test it in place of Simic Charm, which feels very 'flex-slotty'. Reason // Live seems like a card you can definitely build around, but is also generically useful for a UG deck. I like that gravepulses can effectively 'tutor' for Live by dumping it in the grave. It also plays very well with a draw-discard suite in blue, and with a format that has toned down blue draw in general. Card is very neat.

Card advantage is one of the best defined concepts in Magic (and card games in general): "Card advantage (often abbreviated CA) is a term used in collectible card game strategy to indicate one player having access to more cards than another player, usually by drawing more cards through in-game effects." Using the Impulse side of the card costs you one card (the Supreme Will), and gives you one card, which means your net gain is 0. It isn't a tempo thing where every other player has a different definition of the concept. So no, it's not card advantage. The fact that you can draw past useless cards is irrelevant, as your library is an unknown quantity. It could very well be that the three most important cards you could draw are in the top four, in which case you actually worsen your chances of winning.

Perfection <3

No link unfortunately, and I don't really keep track of what's in there, but I make sure to try and grab at minimum a forest from every set that comes out and then i'll acquire the rest other ways. I've been playing on and off for a while too so there just happen to be a lot of random ones.

Those are incredible though! Not sure why you have cards like Acidic Slime and the like in there, but ya got yer homie here jealous lol :)

Yeah those are mistakes. They are there because I haven't yet overwritten the cards with the altered Basic land art works. Sort of a work in progress.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
OzCrMRf.png

I don't run Rakdos in my cube, but this is a very interesting card!

I think more formats would want this over R // L. Don't think the issue is higher power, it's that it's more generically useful. This benefits almost any UG deck fairly equally, while R // L gets better the more you provide a framework for it. Ones filler, ones build around

That name tho. Hoopoe. So cute!

I'll agree that it's more generically useful, but I also think River Hoopoe slots pretty brilliantly in the Ophidian-style {U}{G} Simic deck, actually; it's a decent body to block with that also sneaks in on the skies to trip Edric, Spymaster of Trest/Bident of Thassa/allow a ninjutsu trigger, which is the gospel Grillo has been preaching that I adopted whole-heartedly in my new list. It even has a late-game mana sink mode that's not irrelevant in a pair that does card selection and mana ramp better than most. If you're lower-power and looking longingly at the Penny Pincher's Simic deck, I think River Hoopoe provides a pretty clear signal, and wheels to the right player. Might be worth a spin, actually.

As for the split card, I really don't think it does anything sensible for the pair, as "fatty cheat" has never really been the pair's wheelhouse, nor is a 5cmc maybe-fatty-cheat worth even half a card; it's massively inconsistent, and I don't see anyone excited over Summoning Trap or See the Unwritten, both of which are significantly more exciting and reliable for your overpriced board-tutor needs. One card is not going to provide a "framework" for the pair; it's going to stick out as a 1-card buildaround that is immensely inconsistent in a pair that's not in the market for it. It follows in the footsteps of the "TOL-theme" that has been pitched for the pair but that doesn't actually exist as an archetype, just a rogue smattering of cards that occasionally support each other. I can't fathom what format would be both low-powered enough to allow a 5cmc maybe-cheat card to be "exciting" while also supporting such a combo deck wholeheartedly. I guess ahadabans could get by with it in the Retro Combo cube? But it doesn't even seem that great there.

To be frank, neither See the Unwritten nor Summoning trap are a free card from your gravetard, sitting on the backside of a very serviceable blue "cantrip". I've been trying to evaluate this as a "firebolt" that can be built around to raisle the ceiling.

Thinking more into it, Nissa, Steward of Elements is the real comparison card that pushes this card out of many formats, mine included. Still a cool design that I think can fit into planeswalker-less formats.

I don't think it extremely generous. Maybe you have to forego some of the other blue cantrips, but formats are starting to do that left and right.

On a WCS this is a mediocre card at best. But you can amp it up! Think twice always draws a card. This can slap a Pellaka wurm or Sphinx of Uthuun onto the table, heck even a Courser of Kruphix improves on the mana investment compared to Think Twices flashback.

Still moot for most formats thanks to Nissa performing almost an identical function, but definitely not "chaff", imo.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I think people would play it, at least at first. The main questions are what would result, would it be good enough, and would it be fun. The main challenge with simic is the random person that drafts a durdle ramp deck without removal (hey look! card draw and fatties!!!), and I get really nervous about feeding into that perception. Thats my main objection to the card, though I also like the idea of using aftermath to tack on random spicy effects, so I'm kind of annoyed by the design.

The simic TOL deck has a few problems, including density of effect, which this somewhat addresses by its existence. However, the biggest problem with the deck being that durdling around with TOL value plays is kind of bad in a color pair thats traditionally light on long term interaction. I think the only framework where I would truly like it would be a sort of low-power cheaty format. We've speculated about that before with "fair" sneak attack tossing out weatherseed treefolk and the like, and this is maybe more in that vein. The important thing I think is that the TOL manipulations be used to apply pressure, not to tempt drafters to try to durdle out value in a combination that already struggles to manage the board.

As an fyi, I've ran see the unwritten in one of my low power formats, and cut it due to power level. As a 6cc spell, you should be able to turn on ferocious in a midrange deck by the time you fire it off, and at that point its basically just bonkers collected company. It looks like a TOL card, but it plays just as easily as a generic bomb.

rebuildingkhenra.jpg

"Rebuilding Khenra"
1G
Creature - Jackal Wizard
When this creature enters the battlefield, you may give target creature +X/+X until end of turn, where X is Rebuilding Khenra's power.

Eternalize 4GG

earthshakerkhenra.jpg

Both Rebuilding Khenra and Earthshaker Khenra should slot well into my list; solid early aggressive plays that have purposeful ETBs and late-game relevancy thanks to Eternalize. I was very lukewarm on the "Megamorph" evolution of Embalm that Eternalize looked to be on initial spoiling, but now, I think I may actually wind up running quite a few, as they look really nice in midrangey, lower-powered lists, without looking pushed or out-of-color.

8xvihj.png

Mandatory "funky creature tutor"; I almost like it, and could see it cast with an X or 2 or 3 and be appreciated on the regular. I did want another of these effects, but I'm not sure yet if it's necessary, or if this is the one I even want. New Card Fever strikes again..

edit: shrunk the Uncage the Menagerie; sorry about that!

Earthshaker Khenra looks excellent to me. The biggest problems for aggro are pushing through damage once the board has fatties ready to block, and being able to trade it or suicide it into a blocker to bring it back in the later game as a 4/4 threat with haste that does a Goblin Heelcutter impression is awesome. The green one being Yeva's Forcemage at 2 mana is cool, but there are just sooooo many more cool and interesting green 2s that I'd rather be playing.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Claim // Fame is beautiful!

Obstructionist is cool but tbh I'm mostly excited to see that cycling is still in the set (hopefully at lower rarities too)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Yeah, agree, eternalize seems sweet in small doses. Don't want 4/4 to be the norm though, so I think I'm going to restrict myself from adding too many.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
If you're running bouncelands, this is pretty big game

hopetender.jpg

This + voyaging satyr + channeler looks like a strong low power ramp package. Magus of the candelabra can be good, but this is more generally useful.

So far like this and unearth 2.0 the best from the set, and the crucible on legs.

If you're trying to bolster {U}{W} Drake Haven or "reanimator" angles to the pair, this looks like a solidly playable card for it, and doing what the pair probably wants to do most of the time anyway: play a control game. I don't think {U}{W} is really the ideal discard-matters pair, although I'm open-minded; it's the skies plan anyway, which the Haven feeds nicely, and I'm hopeful for more solid playable white cyclers.

A new take on Death Cloud! I may take this for a spin.

A nice, spell-oriented version of Skinrender; if you're looking to reduce ETB spam, this looks to offer the same 2-for-1 potential in a lower-powered list.

Wow! I was just asking about Night Terrors a few weeks ago, and here's a significant upgrade on it. Exile edicts look a lot better in the recursive-heavy format I'm gravitating towards; this could be another good, lower-powered removal spell that has some nice play to it. Against a tokens deck, the discard side keeps it relevant; since most token decks in my format are gravitating towards 4cmc+ finisher plays that utilize the tokens, you could theoretically play this on-curve and snatch the means by which they intended to turn those tokens into a win condition.

Quite pleased by these.