Innistrad Themed Cube: 360 Unpowered

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Innistrad Themed Cube (360 Unpowered)

I.Introduction

So, this is a project I’ve been toying around with for about the last month and was finally able to give it its beta run this weekend. After running my cube for a while, I wanted to build something that reflected more what I had learned about cube design, and would reflect more of a guided design of what I wanted a cube to be like from the ground-up, rather than feeling like a patch job of ideas. As always, I have to credit the people on this board for thinking outside of the box. In particular, Christ Taylor and FlowerSunRain for writing their articles on double strike and heroic: involving the idea of removal light but combat trick focused cube environments. And of course, all of the numerous posts from other contributors, without which, I would still be running a much less fun, power maxed, singleton cube.

Since this was the cube's beta run this weekend, I still have some polishing to do, but as there is some unusual stuff going on in it, I’m going to do my best to briefly break things down, before issue spotting from the play session and requesting feedback.

First off, for reference, the cube tutor list is here.

II.Design

This is a cube built to emulate the sort of design successes of Innistrad limited. A brief article can be found here, but I will spoiler tag the relevant portions below:

The first thing to remember about Innistrad is the importance of Tempo. Many people say that Innistrad was a fast format, which isn’t entirely true. What they mean to say is that it is a tempo driven format. You had to be able to interact with the board early on and maintain board impact through the entire game. There are two main reasons for this. First, the Green, White, and Blue decks were able to field cheap but effective creatures that punished players who did not interact with the board. Second, there were several cards, like Silent Departure, Travel Preparations, or Feeling of Dread, which allowed these decks to punch through board stalls in the late game. This is the importance of tempo. These decks were able to impact the board quickly and maintain board impact long into the late game because of equipment and flashback.
The second thing to remember about Innistrad was its depth. Innistrad had more potential draft archetypes than the vast majority of formats, and this created an incredible amount of depth. There were many cards that seemed almost unplayable, but that gained significant importance when placed around certain other cards. Players had a large diversity of options for deck building, and many like me were able to continue innovating new deck ideas throughout the Innistrad season. This made for a volatile format where anything was possible, and drafters had to consider each card on its situational merits, instead of just memorizing a list of pick orders.
The third key to the format was the lack of quality removal. While there were more removal spells in the set than an average set, they had difficult restrictions, and they were spread out over all the colors. It was difficult for any deck to have answers to everything played by another deck. This meant that you often needed to focus more on picking up the best threats and synergy, instead of just picking all the best removal spells.
In the broad strokes, I’m designing for 1) a heavily tempo based format, 2) with deep archetype variety, 3)lacking quality removal, 4) to encourage synergy over power (perhaps most easily represented by combat tricks).
In the more middling strokes I’m hoping to focus heavily on 1) graveyard manipulation, 2) library/shuffling manipulation, and 3) token manipulation. I will pick out the ones which I think deserve further explanation.

A.Tempo

Looking at different forums I see this term used interchangeably with a number of different ideas. To avoid any confusion with semantics, when I say “tempo” I am referring to the order and timing of when spells are cast. By having a “tempo driven format” I am referring to a format where you have to interact with the board early on and maintain that impact. To that end, I have tried to create a format driven by powerful scaling creatures and early drops that demand interaction in a certain time frame.

Since some of these may be raising some eyebrows: briefly: I would prefer to shape a format to include interesting build arounds for an aggressive player rather than simply give all of the interesting interactions to the mid-range or control player. To that end, I hope that I have a reasonable density of humans to support champion and a reasonable density of brainstorm/token spells to support delver. There is also enough creature buffing to keep them relevant in the mid and late game. I love reckless waif's design because it directly punishes people for ignoring tempo.

I am not running many naturally powerful mid-range creatures (again in order to encourage synergy and tempo) opting instead to buff the early drops so they maintain impact throughout the mid and late game. I also have the werewolf tribe present again in R/G.

B.Archetypes Diversity

Here, I've opted to avoid breaking singleton as much as possible, in an attempt to encourage players to use tutors to tutor up draft around cards (more on that later). My goal is to have it so that when you look at pack 1, there are about two or three different build arounds. I felt that with my old cube, too often you would look at pack 1 and it would be just support cards, or there would be only one clear pick either by power level or because it was the only build around. Some of the archetypes I am encouraging (besides the before mention aggro build-arounds which fit into most of these):

C.Lack of Quality Removal/Synergy Over Power

So, this is probably the worst removal suit you've ever seen in a cube. That’s ok, where one door closes, another opens, and by weakening removal it opens the door to all kinds of synergy and helps bind the environment's themes together. The three main forms of synergy removal are 1) sacrifice outlet + threaten effect, 2) fight effect + buffed creature, 3) top-of-library bounce + mill effect. And of course, powered combat tricks like dictate of heliod.

III. The Middling Strokes

A.Graveyard Hate

I feel that the graveyard and token interactions are fairly self-explanatory (tokens are the fuel for sacrifice decks and take advantage of creature buffs; while yard decks want to fill the yard up and use it as a resource). The only thing I want to touch upon here is graveyard hate. Since this is a graveyardcentric format, I want to stay away from feel bad "mass graveyard hate" like rakdos charm or relic of progenitus. I also don't want scavenging ooze or deathrite shaman as this is not how I want people attacking the graveyard (more on that in a moment), and I feel that they are still too efficient at what they do for a format running low quality removal.
My graveyard removal suite consists of cards at this power level:

B.Library//Shuffling Manipulation

Ok, this is where things get more original. The obvious interaction here is the library being fuel for graveyard strategies, thus creating a tension between wanting large numbers of cards in the graveyard to exploit as a resource, the risk of decking, and the risk of being decked by mill strategies, and an opponent’s desire to disrupt the graveyard player. The perfect solution--and playing multiple roles in this environment--are the afore mention memory's journey, stream of consciousness, gaea's blessing, and krosan reclamation.
This is also a format with lots of singleton build arounds thus encouraging use of tutors. I do not run tutors that put cards into the hand, but instead I run tutors that put cards on-top of the library.
The result is the memory's journey package also serves as powerful disruption of those tutors: complicating both when and in what role those disrupters should be played (is it more important to disrupt the graveyard or the library?), and encouraging a tutor player to play more cautiously to avoid getting blown out. I had always wanted the fetchland-stifle tension to translate into cube, but it never worked well for me because stifle effects are just really narrow and limited. This adequately recreates that tension. I've also opted for shadow of doubt over stifle, because SOD has increased utility in an environment like this and cantrips.
In addition, the shuffling dynamic has a lot of sweet incidental interactions with cards like delver of secrets, mul daya channelers brainstorm and lim-dul's vault, increasing the self-shuffling density, and complimenting the fetchlands.

IV. Conclusion

That is a brief synopsis of the format I am trying to build. If you have any questions I will do my best to answer them, but hopefully this provides enough of a framework so the list makes a bit more sense.

Great write up, very impressive.

With three champions of the parish, could you try for more humans in blue and black so it spans all five colours, opening more archetypes? xathrid necromancer seems an obvious inclusion. Could you do with some more creatures generally?

vanishment seems like it would be good here.

I suspect your masticores will be savage here.

Ashnods altar and devils play looks like it will burn a fair few people out. Is that fun? Does there need to be some defence against it?

Much as I like gaea's blessing if your opponent randomly has it against your mill deck that seems pretty horrible.

Some other random suggestions:

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Ok, so right now the cube is really slimed down for speed--at least as much as I could with a major token theme. I have no persist or undying creatures, or planeswalkers, and have tried to keep to a minimum the number of creatures that leave tokens behind when they die. Since the cube is running so lean right now, it should be easy to "tune it up", so to speak, in terms of power level.

First, a few notes on equipment and other creature buffs. I tried Eric's suggestion of just running triple bonesplitter rather than weaker equipment options, and it was an amazing change. All three showed up in the draft--of which I drafted two of them--and they add a lot to the aggresive decks you can't really get elsewhere. Power matrix showed up as well and did not disappoint: being a key player in every game that it was played in--really great card that felt powerful without being broken,

Now...homicidal seclusion. I had read a few people on this forum talk about it being nuts, and they were not wrong. I am a little worried about it from a power level point of view after a game where I managed to get a prophetic flamespeaker out, equipped with double bonesplitters and with an active homicical seclusion, to create an 8/4 doublestrike trampling monster with lifegain that drew me cards. Right now I think I should change at least one of the pacifism effects to o-ring if I am going to continue to run it.

What are other people's experiences with this card? Is it just too powerful in an environment like this?

I'm also a little worried about sac. outlets. There are different sac. outlets for different speeds of deck, and while its impossible to cut someone out of sac. outlets in this cube, I would like to increase the density of aggresive sac. cards. I already have the two carrion feeder(go to three?), goblin bombardment, falkenrath aristocrate, greater gargadon, and bloodthrone vampire. I would feel more comfortable with at least two more, and ideally something the red decks can use on their own.

Does anyone run nantuko husk? Bloodthrone vampire was fine as a two drop, but I suspect the 3CC sac. outlets are too slow. I considered sarkhan the mad but the CC makes me suspect. I have a feeling blasting station might be my best option here, but I kind of want kind of don't want mortarpod.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Ashnods altar and devils play looks like it will burn a fair few people out. Is that fun? Does there need to be some defence against it?

lol, i'm actually more worried about increasing confusion in that regard. I'm a little curious whether people will start drafting over 40 card decks as a defense. Not sure if thats something I want.

No one drafted the altars this week, but I am sure that will change since they saw how powerful token production can be. Maybe doubleremand? Double memory lapse? I will probably wait to see if the memory's journey package is enough of a defense, but if I double up on remand and memory lapse that gives the players 10 answers to that threat in the cube. I will probably wait to see how the existing infrastructure works before I tweek it though I think.

With three champions of the parish, could you try for more humans in blue and black so it spans all five colours, opening more archetypes? xathrid necromancer seems an obvious inclusion. Could you do with some more creatures generally?

Yeah, I agree. I just really have the three delvers in blue, and the zombies take up a lot of space in black. Any suggestions besides the necromancer? I have one ready to go in, but I was concerned he might roadblock the aggresive decks with the death trigger token production.

There is always going to be a certain tension between wanting tokens and wanting tempo, and i'm not sure exactly how far I can ride that line, unfortunatly. Necromancer seems like a good spot to push things a little bit though.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
There is a lot to read here and respond to and I don't have time right not, but I will add something.

I have run Nantuko Husk and it is pretty decent. I mean, its not as good as it was in the old rules (where he was easily one of my top 5 favorite creatures at the time), but its solid enough to make a deck. However both it and bloodthrone vampire were a smidge outclassed on overall power level, so I split the difference and made a 2 mana 2/1 with that ability which is probably the sweet spot for a properly pushed cube beater.

So, overall the Husk is a solid roleplayer whose power level is a bit low compared to modern 3 drops.

CML

Contributor
I like this (obviously, I don't usually comment on these threads). I have a few brief comments on card choices:

adarkar valkyrie (and close cousin Gleancrawler) are not a lot of fun in Limited, esp. something capped power-wise like this

i would add a snapcaster mage

in general i'm in favor of 'walkers and some of the weirder and weaker ones (this includes Liliana in limited) might work here

some of the cards that don't 'fit a theme' like Tinder Wall probably wouldn't be missed. personally i would make this a balls-to-the-wall graveyard cube because i fucking love odyssey and the lack of threshold.

given that Innistrad's design innovation was less "graveyard theme" than "tasteful tribal" i want a little more of that.

four threatens is kind of a lot

cards that you need to add that came to mind: quiet speculation, centaur chieftain, grizzly fate, etc. just do some flashback and threshold searches. basically i'm looking over the search results and seeing all these sweet cards that i would LOVE to put in my cube that would be so, so fun here. odyssey was a great block.

not sure why you have 3 ashnod's altars, that's the kind of detail that can't survive a single round of drafting imo

tarmogoyf fits the horror genre, terravore might too

not sure what the 'right' number of memory's journey analogues is designwise but i'm guessing it's 1 copy of gaea's blessing and 0 journey / krosan rec

weakish misc.: stitcher's apprentice, deadly allure, hunt the weak

rest is super-sweet

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Thanks for the response. Right now everything is at a low power level so that I can "tune up" the list where it’s needed, so card recommendations are definitely appreciated. I really like the vessel of endless rest and centaur chieftain suggestions. I still have 0 idea what I want to do for walkers.

What I am trying to do with Valkyrie and company is move reanimation into something that is more creature and combat focused. That’s part of why I have so many fight effects and combat tricks to combo with those cards. The altars are to shift ramp decks into more of a sacrifice direction. If ashnods altar is oppressive, how about phyrexian altar? I thought it might be too low incentive.

The threaten effects are "premium removal" and are big incentives for people to pick up sack outlets and go in that direction and focus on synergy. They also provide a way for aggressive decks to remove troublesome creatures without losing tempo. Sticher's apprentice is there mostly to provide a blue sacrifice outlet.

There is a lot of flashback in the list already, but I could see myself expanding it and including a second copy of burning vengeance. I am trying to stay away from threshold until I get more data on how quickly people are hitting seven cards in the graveyard.

100% agree with you on snapcaster. We bought a box of innistrad to draft last week, and my plan is to cleverly rip one to put into the cube.

Probably the most "un-innistrad" thing about the cube is the large number of token producers, which will probably either need to be toned down, or I will need to include more intimidate threats. Basically, things that stall games (like pit trap apparently) need to be weeded out.

CML

Contributor
ashnod's altar doesn't look like it does anything, i mean
barrin, master wizard is a more serviceable blue sac outlet, there might be more
put threshold in and then max out on dredge / self-mill / cantrips (4 brainstorm 4 ponder for sure) to see what happens
? ISD had a lot of tokens. intangible virtue was banned in block as was souls. tokens are cool
GL ripping the snapcaster, but what worked for me was not trying to think about it

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Yeah, there are only a handful of blue sac outlets unfortunately. I tried barrin in the past, but his double UU was an impediment to him being drafted.

ISD block has a lot of token makers. Triple ISD just has doomed traveler and stitcher's apprentice at common; and mausoleum guard, midnight haunting, moan of the unhallowed, and spider spawning at uncommon. My format has a lot more token producers, which can really clog up the ground at times. Right now I think my list is a little light on ways to push through a large body of tokens.

Operation rip a snapcaster has thus far been a failure. As has been operation rip a foil liliana :mad: . I did however, draft an Olivia, which I am debating putting in the cube. On one hand, I love the art, on the other hand, there doesn’t seem to be much play to it-it’s just pure power.

The cards I am considering right now are: vanishment, dematerialize, ghoulcaller's bell x2, graveyard shovel, curse of death's hold, deranged assistant, millikin, dakra mystic, curse of the bloody tome, curse of stalked prey, vessel of endless rest. Also...possibly a second stromkirk noble.

Alfonso, I think you were 100% correct about vanishment. I think it was a mistake not to include it in the original list. Not only is it a reasonable miracle card that combos well with brainstorm etc., but it interacts with any non-land permanent-- providing a way to get rid of troublesome artifacts and enchantments with the proper support. Really great suggestion.

Laz

Developer
Thoughts on Flame Jab over, say Lava Dart? Your curves look really low, but I am not sure of the comparable value of sacrificing lands versus discarding them.

Maybe Recoil is interesting while you are looking for answers to non-creature permanents?

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
After giving it some thought, I think I would rather run lava dart over flame jab, basing the decision entirely on the merits of instant v. sorcery speed. That is a close decision though, because flame jab is better at filling up the graveyard with lands. Recoil is a good idea. I like how it brings black into the bounce theme. My dimir section is just so crowded though...

Anyone have any idea on what planeswalkers to run? These are the ones I have gone back and forth on:

Laz

Developer
I am normally opposed to Big Jace, since that 0 ability ends games crazily fast in a manner that is very difficult to deal with. You do have a much larger number of ways to defend against milling than typical cubes, but it might still be a little much. I love Domri, and Punch-Garruk is awesome in this particular graveyard focussed cube. BR Sarkhan is also awesome. I have no experience with Xenagos, I know you are supporting bigger ramp strategies, but that seems to be through Ashnod's Altar. I think presuming you +1 Xenagos before sac'ing your guys to the Altar is probably a little optimistic, as you aren't running that many mana-elves. That said, if it ever happens, it will be awesome. 3 is a lot of Gruul Planeswalkers.

Liliana of the Veil seems like she would be sweet here.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Yeah, my main dilemma seems to be the colors combinations of the planeswalkers that fit best into the cube. BR sarkhan is probably the clearest choice, but then I already have a B/R sac. outlet, and it’s a bit tempting to run a B/G sac. outlet instead. Sarkhan has such great synergy with the cube though as he cares about both top-of-library and is a sac outlet.

Xenagos seems like the weakest of the gruul walkers, so that leaves a battle between Domri and GR sarkhan. Of those I think Domri fits better in the cube, even though I really like them both.

Yeah, Jace is ridiculous. What was I thinking?

A foil Liliana of the Veil would be the perfect addition.

CML

Contributor
Xenagos is pretty good, much better than RG Sarkhan but not functionally unique since he's more or less a duller Wildspeaker.

You might consider Vraska

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Yeah, but I doubt I would be playing wildspeaker, so maybe Xenagos has a chance. I'm really looking to push raw power level with the planeswalkers and want something that feels fresh and exciting to the player. Punch Garruck and BR sarkhan do that very well. I'm not sure vraska would, even though i've played a ton with her. I think I would need to run a greater density of siren effects for her to be great. I only have two right now, and one of them is UU.

This conversation has at least convinced me that RG sarkhan wouldn't be interesting enough.

How about jace, architect of thought v. tamiyo, the moon sage?

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Jace is basically a complicated version of Concentrate that includes a lifesaving backup mode. I generally like the card because concentrate is a very blue effect that I want, but not very interesting.

Tamiyo is basically a complicated version of Icy Manipulator that includes a card drawing mode. I generally like the card because it fixes the issues with Icy (1 mana upkeep is paid up front instead, you can cash in on the stalling later).

The thing I like best about blue planeswalkers is that they put the game on the board when many blue decks traditionally try to avoid playing on the board which creates the (in my opinion undesirable) effect of disparate axes of play.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
So, these are the changes I am looking to make right now. Not sure when I will fit the planeswalkers in. Still need to polish the essentials first.

lost in thought->vanishment
enclave cryptolgist->runic repetition
counterspell->runic repetition
hedron crab->dakra mystic
kird ape->stromkirk noble
reckless waif->stromkirk noble
ajani's presence->excommunicate
recumbent bliss->oblivion ring
nest invader->birthing pod
pit trap-> ghoulcaller's bell
contagion clasp->ghoulcaller's bell
coalition relic->vessel of endless rest

After drafting innistrad, I realized I had forgotten a few things:
1) how much fun it was to abuse the runic repetition->memory's journey loop
2) cards like bloodcrazed neonate are amazing at encouraging tempo and were part of why the format worked so well: switch to 2 waifs, 3 stromkirk nobles to reflect that
3) I need more ways to deal with problem permanents+ghoul caller's bell is awesome: hence more top-of-library bounce and more bells/mystic.

I think I have a decent array of evasive creatures, but may need to make room for a few more.

I've also reaffirmed my love for pod, so +1 there:

Just really too much fun. Getting rid of the 1 nest invader is to help keep the early game clear enough for the aggressive decks to make a foothold.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
So...after complaining bitterly about VMA storm in the main forum, and realizing I had never really read temporal fissure, I did a gatherer check of all of the storm cards and abruptly realized that I could actually run brain freeze as a legitimate card in this cube.

Is this possible? Is this worth doing? Fun storm decks in cube????!!

My removal is so bad I could actually run some incidental storm cards with wing shards, and maybe storm entity, haze of rage and astral steel. Ok...maybe the last three are a reach.

I'm not really sure how I would do this though or what a fun/fair storm deck would look like. Do I need more disruption? How do I build storm count without throwing off the entire cube?

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Ok, now that I have had some time to play it, first major update. Slicing down to 30 artifacts, than from 48 to 50 in each of the main colors, and cutting almost all of the mass removal. I will explain in a follow up post.

For reference to anyone curious: Pre-Update list->Post update Current List

Since I last posted:

Out

In

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I. Storm Experiement

Like I mentioned before, i'm in a position where I could run brain freeze rather easily as a value spell that sometimes kills someone. After giving it some thought and toying around with an experiement list on cube tutor I decided it wasn't worth it. This ars arcanum article helped talk me out of it, the relevant portion quoted below:

Here is the first important piece of advice that I can give you about VMA. Stop drafting Storm. The thing is, people love this deck, and they have an emotional attachment to it. They go into VMA looking to force Storm. When they see a Dark Ritual, a Cabal Ritual, a Brain Freeze, or a Tendrils of Agony, they get this look in their eyes that just screams “I want to spew value!!!” Do not give in to this. Forcing the Storm deck is the single best way to hemorrhage value in VMA drafts. This is perhaps the perfect example of my argument for efficacy vs. power. RW and UG are examples of effective decks; they do the thing they are supposed to do, and even though they may not be as flashy as the Storm deck, they will always be able to compete. The UB Storm deck is the perfect example of a deck that skews toward power; there are Storm decks that win on (technically) turn 2. I’ve even seen it once (aided by Time Walk). When you draft a really good Storm deck, you feel incredibly powerful because your opponent just can’t interact with your game plan. If they don’t kill you fast, you are just going to dump everything and win the game and they won’t be able to do anything about it. But remember, though a great Storm deck is going to steamroll people, a bad Storm deck is going to be completely terrible.

Running storm puts me in an awkward position as regards player expectations: I know it will be first picked and someone will try to draft the "storm" deck with horrible results. If I start running more incidental storm friendly cards (ancestral vision, riftwing cloudskate and so forth), they begin to really change the blue section away from how I want the cube to run: and I still have the problem of people going too deep with it. If I try to support it better with things like rituals or mirari's wake, we start to really change the archetecture of the cube and when critical turns occur. In the end, I decided it was too much trouble and scrapped it.

II. Mass Removal Purge

So, despite having the design intent to cut down on powered removal to increase synergy, I brilliant left in a ton of super powerful mass removal, with predictable and horrible results. I've removed almost all of it, accept for terminus and I have put in a single rolling temblor, which I suspect to break singleton on. I decided having a single piece of powerful mass removal was reasonable, and decided on terminus because of all the incidental synergy it has with other cards in the cube: brainstorm, mystical tutor ect. This was a decision also influenced by the amout of multiplayer we play: blasphemous actis typically only 1 or 2 mana in this setting, though I think I would want to have my mass removal be in white anyways, since red is already going to be running the (splashable) rolling temblor.

III. Burning Vengeance

In the battle between who I would break singleton on: furnace celebrationor burning vengeance, burning vengeance won. This has a lot to do with furnace celebration's activation cost, which has always been a problem, as well as the double red cc. Running vengeance also influenced what will soon probably become a second rolling temblor, partially included because it is badly wanted in the more controlling version of the deck.

IV. Artifact Purge

I am now running 30 artifacts to provide me with more (needed) room in the main colors. A few notes on the choices: I have finally given up on smokestack in cube, it is just not a good card. The elixir of immortality and feldon's cane had to go, they were really just training wheel cards, and just slowed down games and were oppresive on mill strategies. For the same reason gaea's blessing is gone.

V. Boost in Evasive Beaters

I was a little light on these, so i've added zealot il-vec and amrou seekers in white, neurok invisimancer in blue. I feel its important to have cards like this as a way to keep pressure on through developed boards. Not sure about the double blue in invisimancer's cost though, at least not without a suite of decent 2 drops to support blue aggro.

VI. Orzhov Identity Problem

I feel that this is the worst color combination in the cube, lacking any real identity. What do people do with this color combination? I finally broke down and added the xathrid necromancer, but realistically humans is a G/W deck that splashes for necro. All that this color combination seems to really do is nickle and dime in a shell that works best in a controlish build. The clearest alternate idenity I have for it is token aggro? I'm not even sure how far down that road I am even willing to go.

VII. Shift to Turn 3 as a Critical Turn

So with cards like man-o'-war and neurok invisimancer, I am aiming to have turn 3 be the critical turn, where the tempo guys are trying to run support for impactful beaters like stromkirk noble, pushing them past the first real defenses the slower decks can errect: armored skaab, necroskitter, scholar of athreos and so on. The rolling temblor(s) are supposted to reflects this tension as well. I am still developing this, as their are some black curve disrupters I could run (brain maggot/mesmeric fiend) as well as red disrupters (fervent cathar/crossway vampire). I might want some more cards that you want to push through for damage in the other colors. Not sure what sort of cards I could run.

VIII. Misc. Cards

These guys are on the cutting block:

Eldrazi spawn tends to really bog down games. I may make a more complete purge of the effect, but these three are the most oppressive.

Cards I want to run:

I will also probably be cutting the raise the alarm and master's call for two more gather the townsfolk. Gather just does so much more work in the decks it belongs in.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Unfortunately he hasn't shown up in draft yet, but I will let you know.

I want him to fill a role similar to invisible stalker, as a really difficult to deal with evasive threat, but without the annoying hexproof.

That seems feasable. Is black making the theros style "build a boat" type decks?