General Ixlan Spoiler

There needs to be a red Kor Skyfisher and Grinning Ingus ain't it.

I don't think three spells in one turn is all that difficult to muster with the right selection of cube slots. Things like Staggershock,Frantic Search, Faithless Looting, Bloodbraid Elf, Fireblast, Snuff Out, Gitaxian Probe, Ponder, Raven's Crime, Mystical Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, etc.

It's not impossible, and those cards are helpful, but these are still 'if's and not 'when's. Also a number of those cards I'm only playing after I drop this if I drop them, there's little reason to hold back Probe/Ponder/etc so it's a little harder to depend on those.

Yooooooo. The draw a card Dino is crazy with Flame Jab. Adds {R}: cycling to all your lands. This makes me realize that Fiery Confluence is also crazy with that card, cuz I think it's three separate triggers of 1 damage to each creature? Man, that draw dino seems extremely good.

DEEPER

Yooooooo. The draw a card Dino is crazy with Flame Jab. Adds {R}: cycling to all your lands. This makes me realize that Fiery Confluence is also crazy with that card, cuz I think it's three separate triggers of 1 damage to each creature? Man, that draw dino seems extremely good.

I'm really excited about that dino. I like that it plays well with Wildfire and things like Sweltering Suns, replaces itself against damage based removal, and allows you to add something that's Seismic Swansesque without being as a narrow.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Full spoiler is up, not much going on, but there's a "early drop with 8 mana activation" cycle that is interesting.
en_tUQqISo9hz.png
en_ySN6YD9m9O.png
en_nNu4AGKopL.png
en_01GBxYoDeH.png
en_ovfNbVxPbh.png

The black and blue ones seem useful for me, the rest not so much, but I like the idea behind them.

Black and red ones prob the best, but even in a pauper cube they're probably a reach. If the activation cost was 6, I'd probably run them there.

After looking through the full spoiler I really think it looks fun to draft. I loove the flavour of the set, and that there's a lot of creatures with little upsides that still have decent bodies. Hope it's as good as I want.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
en_HYqMlHv7I3.png

This is a rather interesting variety of this effect. It's not super good or something, both the mana cost and sorcery speed make me not want to run it, but still, two bodies with lifelink is cute.

I'm disappointed there's no playable red rare with enrage :(

The one that makes two fliers has to be better, this card just seems bad. I would feel bad if I had to play this, even in a lower powered cube, unless I somehow ended up in the sickest token deck. So it's not impossible, but it just feels super low powered.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
That one's pretty good at sniping aggro 1 and 2 drips and utility creatures like mana elves, Grim Lavamancer, Blood Artist, etc. Atzocan Archer has to be a good tool for slower green based control deck. It's also mega lulz with Giant Growth :)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Preliminary testing has me enthousiastic about:

en_TTtrIXG1Mp.png
en_2NCmehnIjg.png
en_0zIZLRuzt1.png
en_oUjuu5E2th.png
en_UK76KUgUYf.png
en_PxlYqa3ZQJ.png

These are the only cards I've tested so far, but they've all been excellent. Savage Stomp being a mana cheaper than Hunt the Weak apparently makes all the difference, and if you get to use it with one of the two excellent dinosaurs (caveat, Flame Jab was already in my cube before Ixalan was spoiled) you... Well, let's just say I felt giddy the first time I pulled off a kill spell + Rampant Growth for a single green mana :)

Makeshift Munitions has been a great Goblin Bombardment alternative. A little less abusive, but brilliant with the additional artifacts that can suddenly go face. It has sweet synergy with the unexpectedly awesome Curse of Opulence!

Chart a Course has been as solid as people have been expected. I've used it to put a fatty in the graveyard while digging for the reanimation spell, and I've used it as a two mana draw two spell. Both are super excellent modes for the mana, definitely going to add this.

Hostage Taker is just such a sweet card, and I don't think I need to explain why :)

Haven't tested any other cards from Ixalan so far, but I expect Kitesail Freebooter is going to earn a spot at least.

I don't know if I'm going to add any of the flip cards. I think Vindicate might be the only card that can actually deal with them once flipped (they all turn into lands), and I'm not really keen on introducing must kill lands when I just completely removed all of them from my cube.

Its a little odd I didn't find a single white card I liked :(

This doesn't shock me TBH. IMO, white has become an extremely uninteresting color in cube. For years now, we have been getting only wrath variants, O-ring effects, more aggro creatures and more 4 mana walkers. And all those slots are now saturated.

Until they make white do something else, we'll be lucky to get more than a card or two each set (at least for higher powered lists).

Chart a Course is probably the only card I'm seriously considering. It's very powerful but elegant and I like that it can double as another discard outlet for decks that want that effect. Blue always gets the good draw and that's sort of annoying (why isn't this a red or black card??).

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
This doesn't shock me TBH. IMO, white has become an extremely uninteresting color in cube. For years now, we have been getting only wrath variants, O-ring effects, more aggro creatures and more 4 mana walkers. And all those slots are now saturated.

Those are not bad things (well, other than the walkers, I don't think there's a single white walker I really like, except Kytheon). Other than that the past few years have added quite a few interesting, to me at least, cards that break the pattern you describe.

Also, the more cards they print, the more cards already have been printed. This means less and less cards will add something new to your cube. Add to that the fact that people tend to get jaded with pretty much anything after being exposed to it for years, and I'm not really surprised at your dismissive attitude to white. I do agree that it is not the most interesting color, but that is a personal opinion, and one that not every player shares ;)

I have, for some years, been thinking about completely cutting white from my cube leaving it with 4 colors, 6 Guilds and 4 Shards. This would lead to people fighting over the same colors a little bit more and people playing mono colors more often.

I am still in the process of writing that foreshadowed article about my cube where I'm having these thoughts. About 25 % there.

White has aggro creatures. Black and red can cover this.
White has sweepers. Black and red can cover this.
White gains life. Green can cover this.
White has big bombs. All the other colors can cover this.
White has efficient planeswalkers. Blue, black and green can cover this.

No color can cover the temporary removal like O-Rings.
No color can cover the Equipment theme.

I don't think I'll ever make such a drastic change though.

Yup. White is the most expendable color. And I think a cube without it would play amazingly well too. Imagine how much space it would free up? You get to cut 1/5 of your fixing. Gold cards become less narrow. Drafts would be better. You'd need to make sure your group was down with this though but for sure it would be sweet.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
And on the other hand, I had to rethink my whole cube when I accidentally tried to add in 3 shards with white red as part of them without knowing :p