General "Looking for a card"-Thread

I try to keep things low-curving and my current selection is pretty format specific so they're probably not of much help, but

Stampede Surfer from the latest clue set is kind of cool.
How has the Ooze been for you? I've kicked around the idea a few times of doing some kind "fair storm" setup with cards like Aeve and Empty the Warrens and Chatterstorm but I've never pulled the trigger on it. Are people able to get it to trigger a few times usually? Or is it just a reward for double-spelling with it occasionally? Also curious how players read it as a signal.

Haven't tried it, but I liked the looks of it when spoiled.

Has an old school feel. Big and annoying, but not particularly overwhelming.

Most of a Thragtusk is still good. The lifegain can help stabilize.

Big body that can provide much needed flying resistance.

Another one that can occasionally be much needed, alongside Indrik Stomphowler

Bit of a combination of the last two with some cat-tribal-baggage. (NOT trinket text.)

I dunno if this counts as low power. Does a lot.

Ninjutsu is fun and this one's good when cast with either option, unlike many ninjas. Might not be low power.

I also like Nessian Game Warden for the manabase payoff while still being an easy ETB to hit, I find Mitotic Slime very funny and was cool when it would work, and Froghemoth is really good if you want some grave hate that doesn't fully wipe yards.

I've been looking at arborback stomper as a nice "good stuff" card that can help act as glue for the bigger ramp deck that needs to stabilize before playing 6-7 drops.

Maybe Arborback and Ant Queen are the 2 "boring" work horses I should run a long with the more "gimicky" Gravetroll and Cage breakers

I've been looking at arborback stomper as a nice "good stuff" card that can help act as glue for the bigger ramp deck that needs to stabilize before playing 6-7 drops.

Maybe Arborback and Ant Queen are the 2 "boring" work horses I should run a long with the more "gimicky" Gravetroll and Cage breakers
Grave-Troll is kinda a 0.

Make sure the latter two aren't secretly BG cards.

The fairer the environment, the more likely you are playing the Troll for it's mana cost. Sure, I am too discarding it to my Merfolk Looter turn three, but then I'l bring it back later as a hard to kill 8/8. It's a very elegant design, even though it is wordy, as it just fuels itself. The only real downside is, that there isn't a version with reminder text for dredge, but since I have a bunch of dredge cards in two of my three cubes, my players know, so it gets a pass.

It's pretty strong though. Immortal for 1 mana.
There are also situations where you have nothing else (better) to do.
It has its uses but unless you do some self-milling a 3/3 for 5 is not that great in my environment.

But this is a more broad topic that I haven't found the best way to address. The discrepancy between my players experience is big and my cube is not too beginner friendly (you can always draft Aggro, I guess) but learning the intricacies of magic is really hard if you haven't spent 10+ years playing it. And concepts like Aggro, control, who's the beat down in Deck construction and play are tough to grasp.

The fairer the environment, the more likely you are playing the Troll for it's mana cost. Sure, I am too discarding it to my Merfolk Looter turn three, but then I'l bring it back later as a hard to kill 8/8. It's a very elegant design, even though it is wordy, as it just fuels itself.
I'm also intending to add Troll to a cube that is pretty low power.

In fact, my intention this time around is to start with my top end threats for the slower decks, and work myself backwards for the rest of the cards in the cube (the lower cost cards and the removal should match). So, I will in fact partially craft the entire cube around the premise of Troll being a good 5 drop (along with the other's I mentioned).

I'm also intending to add Troll to a cube that is pretty low power.

In fact, my intention this time around is to start with my top end threats for the slower decks, and work myself backwards for the rest of the cards in the cube (the lower cost cards and the removal should match). So, I will in fact partially craft the entire cube around the premise of Troll being a good 5 drop (along with the other's I mentioned).
Sound interesting. Do you have a thread or something where one could follow along the process?

How has the Ooze been for you? I've kicked around the idea a few times of doing some kind "fair storm" setup with cards like Aeve and Empty the Warrens and Chatterstorm but I've never pulled the trigger on it. Are people able to get it to trigger a few times usually? Or is it just a reward for double-spelling with it occasionally? Also curious how players read it as a signal.
Let me get back to you in half a year when I've hopefully gotten a chance to play that now that I've actually started the process of acquiring the list I've been mulling over for however long I've been on riptide now. Supporting storm symbiotically is one of the four major design goals of my cube though, so he's probably fine, Aeve is one of the highest impact small-storm targets. Chatterstorm is a lot more suspect, I think you'd struggle to design an environment that is both low-power enough and capable of making high enough storm counts to where it's a desirable card. I have Crow Storm, Galvanic Relay, Rionya, Fire Dancer, Aeve, Progenitor Ooze and Sentinel Tower as storm payoffs in my list, and I think it's very possible that out of those, Aeve is the only one that is actually worth playing towards, although I have added some pretty powerful storm enablers semi-recently.

Let me get back to you in half a year when I've hopefully gotten a chance to play that now that I've actually started the process of acquiring the list I've been mulling over for however long I've been on riptide now. Supporting storm symbiotically is one of the four major design goals of my cube though, so he's probably fine, Aeve is one of the highest impact small-storm targets. Chatterstorm is a lot more suspect, I think you'd struggle to design an environment that is both low-power enough and capable of making high enough storm counts to where it's a desirable card. I have Crow Storm, Galvanic Relay, Rionya, Fire Dancer, Aeve, Progenitor Ooze and Sentinel Tower as storm payoffs in my list, and I think it's very possible that out of those, Aeve is the only one that is actually worth playing towards, although I have added some pretty powerful storm enablers semi-recently.
have you tried Captain Ripley Vance too by any chance? I've been eyeing her for my own cube since I've enjoyed the "cast 2 spells per turn" payoffs and was wondering if "cast 3 spells per turn" would be viable in a low-mana environment.

This is somewhat how I went about doing the Eldrazi cube. The 1-2 mana cards are quite strong in order to compete with each other, but the top end and the removal allows room for 10 drops to (hopefully) stand a chance.

have you tried Captain Ripley Vance too by any chance? I've been eyeing her for my own cube since I've enjoyed the "cast 2 spells per turn" payoffs and was wondering if "cast 3 spells per turn" would be viable in a low-mana environment.

I think it was in during the very early stages, but I think this card is probably too easy to interact with for how much it asks of the player. I also don't have very deep archetypes, so I need my semi-replaceable cards to be more generally desirable than a card like CRV. I could be underrating it, but I think my interacting suite is probably too efficient for a card like it to not just wheel into someone's sideboard. It's a cool card, but realistically how many times do you need it to trigger for it to feel worth it?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
What kind of green 5-drops do people run in lower power cubes? I feel like it's though to find something exciting while not being too strong (e.g. no Thragtusks).

I'm currently considering a graveyard oriented green section so I already have picked out Golgari Grave-Troll and Kessig Cagebreakers but I would like 2 "normal" five drops as well.
How has this one not been named yet?

Genesis is love. Genesis is life.

Also, this one is hilarious if you run any ramp spells, and forms a marvelous tag team with Ant Queen :) Also just an honest big beater.

Looking for a couple things right now:
1. Aggressive red 2-drops that are relatively simple and below the power level of something like a Robber of the Rich, more around the power level of something like a Rimrock Knight or a Riviteers Requisitioner.
2. Blue card draw spells around 3mv that are like, slightly better and more interesting than Divination but not as good as like, Frantic Search or whatever.

I love all the suggestions that tend to come up in this thread <3