Card/Deck Low Power Card Spotlight

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member

I've been fond of Archon of Justice in commander for quite some time. I am wondering if it has enough spice to make into cube lists?
I mean, It is slightly more exciting than Serra Angel. Plus I like my vindicates to be a little harder to get than usual, since they feel quite strong.
So it can help stall the board if you are behind and can race in the air. Can anything else do that?

It is definitely good enough. A huge flier, that is kinda removal proof, can act as a silver bullet for many things, and is often a 2-for-1.
My favoriute white 5-drop is Geist-Honored Monk for it's archetype role in tokens and blink, and I will never cut my old school Serra Angel, buit if I were looking for a third 5-drop, Archon would peek my interest, because it brings a nice tension to the table. It's just a little too goodstuff-ish for my taste.

Laz

Developer
While we are sort of on the topic of Roaring Primadox, what about another slightly more reliable card in that style?

This is a card which has always screamed 'engine' to me, but I haven't ever had the right environment to try it. Is it too slow? Awesome?

I think it is not quite Crystal Shard, but probably the best variant green has to offer. I had it shortly in my cube, but cut it because green simply didn't have the room for link support, since it already has so many archetypes it is involved in. Just make sure you run enough cheap EtB creatures in green too like Wall of Blossoms.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
These are dirt cheap despite being from an old set. In fact there's three commons that are (considerably) more expensive. That probably says something about how good they are...

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
The main issue with them is that they occupy the 3cc slot.

I think they are good cards though, just priced at an awkward point on most curves.

I have seen this guy in some cubes here and I can't resist thinking of the possibilities ...

Have you guys really had some success with him? I don't want to give blue a Grey Ogre. How regularly can you actually win with his ability? How do the decks looks like, that utilize him?

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I've ran him for years. He's a really fun card, that leads to a lot of memorable stories. Winning with lab maniac is one of the most exhilarating things you can do in cube i.m.o.

If you do a search for my name with labortory maniac, it should bring you to a number of different posts and deck lists from over the years.

My question for those who run lab maniac is: how fun is it to play against him? I'm imagining games where the players are essentially playing different games: player 1 tries to kill player 2 conventionally while player 2 tries to mill themselves out before getting to 0, which, maybe is fun, but doesn't seem very interactive. I guess this fear probably underestimates laboratory maniac's fragility--especially in a singleton format, the self-mill player is one removal spell (or even basically any red damage spell) away from their wincon turning into a losscon, so I imagine the game ends up being how to pull off playing lab man and meeting his wincon in the same turn, which does sound like it would make for a memorable game!

I guess it depends on your playgroup. As far as alternative win-cons to combat go, it's one of the most fair options to include in your cube imo. If Lab Man is too uninteractive, you may need to be sleeving up a core set cube.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
The labman decks are really fun to play again, and aren't just linear turbo milling (though I suppose you could design your format to be that). The turns leading up to the win are especially intense, with lots of play and counterplay. Labman puts you into a position where you can win just off of drawing cards, so ideally, you engineer a game state where you win either by naturally drawing to the decking, or you can run a sequence of draw triggers in response to one or more removal spells to win on the spot.

Blue is already hopelessly OP in most cube formats, so its hard to go very wrong cutting some generic good stuff blue card for something as memorable as labman (unless your format is really fast I suppose). All you really need is one good Johnny in your playgroup.

Okay, thanks guy. I will bring him up with my playgroup and see how ethusiastic they are about him. In case of a good feedback, I will throw in a copy asap.

Another card I've just thrown in for testing purposes (and because I had it laying around and an empty slot), ist this good boy:

I don't expect too much, but maybe he plays out better than expected.
Has anyone ever tried him? Which decks like him? And when he poops on the carpet, does the house burn down?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Pyre Hound is awesome! With minimal help (one other instant or sorcery) it survives a Wildfire, or Destructive Force in your cube (though you need two other instants and/or sorceries in that case), which is a real boon for that deck. There aren't too many interesting four drops that actually survive those spells, and this is one of them!

Also, it gets bonus points because the flavor text calls out the synergy ;)

I am fairly convinced I want to try this card out:

About as close as you can get to combo-level with kor skyfisher, can really power up the board in white decks, and perfectly fine with other color creatures too. I'm definitely not certain it classifies as "low powered" but meh

Update on this one: I had Oketra's Monument in a BW aggressive/tokeny deck yesterday and I liked it a lot. I only got it into play a couple of times, but there were several instances where it was the card I was most hoping to draw.

And that was in a deck without Kor Skyfisher or Squadron Hawk to really go off.

Seems like too much of a stats monster to me for my lower powered Cube, brutal when you can untap with it.

Has anyone experiece with this card:

I'm pondering with an artifact Theme, and this could be a nice flex card for this and the spells deck at the same time.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I run it, and like Rise from the Tides, it's a great incentive to go Ux spells. It also has nice crossover with the artifact theme in my cube, though you still have to be base spells to make it work, so it's more of an incentive to also play some artifact matters cards in your Ux spells deck. Definitely hasn't been overpowered in my cube, if that's what you're worried about.