Card/Deck Low Power Card Spotlight

Oh, I got one myself. Could this one be a great payoff for an artifact midrange deck in a low powered Dimir section?

They should never be smaller than 5/5 in that deck and the activated ability is pushing all the other cards that also care about artifacts.

A five mana 5/5 or 6/6 isn’t exactly degenerate in low powered settings, and this doesn’t have any evasion. Plunderers is either a highly situational 5/5 or a 5/5 for 7UUUBBB. The activated ability is super mana intensive and not exactly the most relevant effect in the late game. Looks pretty bad to me.

But I would expect it to be more like a 5-mana 7/7 on average, based on my experience how the artifact deck plays in my cube. And it has nice synergies with some other role players

And I could imagine, wildfire likes it too

The potential for neat interactions is definitely there. I just don't think Plunderers is enticing enough for the mana investment. Those three cards you listed are more self-sufficient, mana-efficient, and have better payoffs. Next to those, Plunderers looks significantly lower in power...which is difficult when it also occupies a guild slot. ymmv

To me the issue with Deadeye Plunderers is that the activated ability is too expensive to be relevant. Sure, it's a mana sink, and those are good to have, but most of the time you will have much more interesting things to do with 4 mana.

So even if you're left with a 5 mana 7/7, would you run a vanilla 5 mana 7/7 in a guild slot? It's an imperfect analogy, but worth keeping in mind.

Hm, maybe you guys are right. I wish it's ability were 1 or 2 mana cheaper.

On a related note, is there a better option for a Dimir artifact payoff, that would fit my planeswalkerfree, peasant-ish power leveled meta?

or ?

Not a lot of options....Contraband Kingpin is fine, but not particularly exciting.

What's your artifact package look like now? Would this be for your casual cube? I ask, because I don't see any support for the archetype at the moment in your list. Perhaps just adding 1-2 solid artifact-related black cards could incentivize dimir without using a guild slot.

There's also:

These cards are real janky but could be fun to try and fit into a UB artifact theme:

The Astrolabe is a bad trading post, but is in option if you want to duplicate trading post's last ability. The conjurer pumps out sac fodder each turn that could be used for either of trading post's last two abilities. I feel like there might be some other fun interactions hidden there too. (edit: Like, for instance, triggering Marionette Master every upkeep!)

Rona is pretty cool I guess. And Sphinx Summoner could be good value with a few strong targets.

What's your artifact package look like now? Would this be for your casual cube? I ask, because I don't see any support for the archetype at the moment in your list. Perhaps just adding 1-2 solid artifact-related black cards could incentivize dimir without using a guild slot.

No, it is my casual cube, but the 450 version is old, this 500 cards version comes with an artifact theme in {W}{U}{B}{R} and multiple colorless support/pay off cards.

http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcurve/103460;jsessionid=C78954E8ACFABAE7D3C3C60E0B25FF67

As other payoffs could be considered:

(17)
Scourglass
Enlightened Tutor
Thopter Spy Network
Thirst for Knowledge
Marionette Master
Covetous Dragon
Greater Gargadon
Hanna, Ship's Navigator
Jhoira, Wetherlight Captain
Restoration Gearsmith
Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer
Cranial Plating
Scrap Trawler
Etched Champion
Trading Post
Lodestone Golem
Darksteel Juggernaut

Arrow Volley Trap
Cool control tool, or 'gotcha' annoying to the token player?

imho all of the Traps are bad for cube because there's not really any intent behind their presence, so there's no true sense of getting outwitted, just randomly hosed. they feel less awful in constructed because your opponent planned for the scenario of getting swarmed but in cube it's just like "oh neat, I get to cast this mediocre situational removal spell for less because you swarmed. cool" which is v unsatisfying for both players

yeah. I think in general it's a good idea to avoid cards that can wildly swing in power/efficiency/etc. for seemingly little or no reason from Villain's point of view. Example: Miracles

Taking a quick look at your list, I don't really see much support for a {W}x control deck anyways, so I probably wouldn't start with this type of effect, and also probably just forgo white as a control color altogether, focusing more on Grixis as the controlling colors.

It seems pretty good to me, honestly. I learned magic with Horned Turtle and Vedalken Entrancer, so I know the value of a 1/4 body. My only concern with the Kingpin is, that it feels so unexiting. Like, for a 2-mana 1/4 scrying 1 almost every turn, is a pretty good upside. But for a multicolored payoff card, I just would like to get a little more BANG, even if I have to pay more mana. Something, that really could win you the game for going artifact.dec

Yeah, I think you really hit the nail on the head Onder when you casually called it a cog. It's not what I'd personally call "payoff" for the artifact deck. I think of something more like

Which is a powerful and evocative pair of effects that can really frontline the archetype (and unfortunately not {U/B} lol). Kingpin just kinda makes the deck work a little better. That's not to say I don't like it, because I definitely do. It's a good draft signal, especially if you are pushing more of the trinket-y kind of artifact deck.

I do think most of the good payoffs in Dimir for the deck, at least at the specified power level, are in mono-color sections.