Card/Deck Low Power Card Spotlight

I'm always in the market for playable blue cards that return lands to your hand. For those of us with heavy lands themes, blue's niche is returning lands to hand to generate repeated landfall triggers, or discard to Molten Vortex or Flame Jab, etc. The problem is that most of the cards that do this aren't very good (raise a glass to all the OTHER Moonfolk out there).

Outside of that synergy, I'd agree this card doesn't seem particularly fun. And testing may reveal it's not fun with those synergies either.

Have you gotten some results with Overburden? I just added it to my cube, but it wasn't in the pool during our first draft, which is sad, because I drafted a sweet {G}{U} landfall deck, where it would've been nice.

Isn't 1B to activate a lot? Kinda turns it into a Mana sink.

Certainly. A minimum of 1BB drain 1 is kind of absurd if you can't abuse it/don't have the mana to spend. Thankfully, I think there are enough ways to abuse the synergy to make the mana investment worth while. Infinite Vengevine, anyone?

I am running Oathsworn Vampire lately, since I am supporting both, sacrifice and lifegain in black. I can't really give you feedback yet, but from what I can tell now, he is definitely worth a slot, even more so than the Gnawing Zombie imho.

Cool. I like Oathsworn, but I don't have enough LG to make it plausible in mine.

I really wanna play Courser, but I feel like that giant 2/4 body and the life gain can be pretty oppresive against certain aggro decks. What are your experience with this card in a lower-medium power cube? Is it possible to provide enough playable enchantmental removal to make the enchantment-creature type a weakness in practice?

I really wanna play Courser, but I feel like that giant 2/4 body and the life gain can be pretty oppresive against certain aggro decks. What are your experience with this card in a lower-medium power cube? Is it possible to provide enough playable enchantmental removal to make the enchantment-creature type a weakness in practice?

At a glance, I think your environment looks powerful enough to handle courser. You have more than enough low-cost removal for ago decks to use against it. I think adding it would make more controlling green decks a bit better and cards like Flame Slash, Mizzium Mortars, and Lightning Axe higher picks for aggro decks.

Thanks both of you! I think I understate the power level in my cube sometimes. It's probably accurate to call it medium powered?

Probably. Most of your low-cost creatures (with a couple of exceptions) are at least palatable in a high-powered environment. Your top-end finishers are not very powerful in comparison. This isn't necessarily a bad thing- Skysnare Spider will still stonewall a Delver of Secrets. That being said, my Skysnare Spider does look kind of silly next to your Braids, Cabal Minion. You do not need to change this- as long as people are playing and winning with your current fatties, you don't have an issue. Your cube looks like it has a mostly balanced environment, it's just your low cost creatures have better abilities than your high cost creatures.

I think medium powered is a fairly accurate description.

I also recently added courser to have something for the lands archetype which is a generally useful card, and now I am questioning myself if it is finevin my medium environment ... What would you guys say?

I also recently added courser to have something for the lands archetype which is a generally useful card, and now I am questioning myself if it is finevin my medium environment ... What would you guys say?

You're fine. Courser is a good card, but I don't think its oppressive in almost any environment. It certainly isn't in mine, and I feel like I'm in the lower quartile of riptide list power levels.

EOszpdbSpR.png

Coursers of Kruphix blocking your path? Pesky Walls of Omens and Blossoms getting in your way? Are Things in the Ice keeping you down? Did Tarmogoyf collude with the Russian Government and is now trying to obstruct your special council? Then it's time to call in Bloodrage Brawler! With Bloodrage Brawler, you can smash through all of those pesky x/4s that stonewall your red aggro plan. For the low, low price of 1R and a card upon ETB, you can have a 4/3 creature! Don't worry about your brawler getting countered, the discard won't happen until the spell has already resolved and the minotaur is entering the battlefield! Bloodrage Brawler can work at any power level! Slam it next to a Goblin Guide for a more traditional taste, or some exotic Pyrotechnics for a fourth of July feast! Act now and we'll even throw in support for Graveyard and Reanimator themes! Call 1-800-GET-BLOODRAGE to order yours! Once again, call 1-800-GET-BLOODRAGE. And remember, Bloodrage Brawler spells Relief!

[Teleshoppingvoice]I tried out Bloodrage Brawler without expecting all that much from it, and now it has completely changed my life! Gone are the depressing times of getting stopped for turns from a random X/4 creature. Nowadays I just feel free to attack and live my dream as an aggro player to the fullest. After seeing the great success I had, many people asked me: "ravnic, how comes your aggro creatures don't get blocked for days by Walls of Omen?" I told them my secret and now all of my friends, family and colleagues enter their combat steps with their own Bloodrage Brawler![/Teleshoppingvoice]

A friend and I broke open a 500-card mystery box we bough from our LGS last week, and grid drafted its contents. It was terrible, mostly from lack of cards that can win the game. Our decks were terrible, but I put this "engine" together to win a game and it was satisfying.

There's not much more to say about this. Just thought I'd post.

A friend and I broke open a 500-card mystery box we bough from our LGS last week, and grid drafted its contents. It was terrible, mostly from lack of cards that can win the game. Our decks were terrible, but I put this "engine" together to win a game and it was satisfying.

There's not much more to say about this. Just thought I'd post.

I need to make that deck now XD

Another card I'm a bit afraight of. How good is a 5/6 with flash + a free spell recursion in a medium power cube? Is it just good enough? 6 mana isn't super cheap, and the artefact type makes it maybe slightly more vulnerable.

Edit: Oh! Also, it's just instants? So maybe that tones it down a bit more?