Sets [M15] Magic 2015 Spoilers

Chris Taylor

Contributor
i like hornet queen. who's with me

I like it too. I think if you get to 7 mana in green you should be rewarded with it being real hard to kill you.

Avenger of Zendikar does this quite nicely as well, but the evasion on hornet queen does good putting games away now that you aren't dying, whereas avenger occasionally just sits there with his army of 0/1s.

Plus one time I restoration angel'd a reveilark bringing it and a clone back and I was giddy all day afterwards.

I kinda don't like how Hornet Queen more or less blanks an entire board of creatures (unless I'm the one blanking my opponent in Constructed), whereas you can like StP or Path an Avenger and then just slog through some 0/1s.

I think it's fun for a control deck and it gives ramp decks better control options right? I know how annoying it is to face that sort of card in a deck that is paying mana to make 1 for 1 trades though and it is one of those rare really disheartening spells. What I mean is that it's not just a wrath that attacks, you're still In control of your field, and constantly mentally exhausting yourself trying to figure out advantageous attacks and blocks. It's like fighting against a glare of subdual.

Trying to press damage through that thing seems like such a pain and trying to race it seems impossible without burn or AEtherling.

Still I'd love to field that thing some day soon in a GW or GB rock deck. The sort of deck that never runs out of lands because of arena or wraths it's own finks. It's certainly a grave Titan.

CML

Contributor
I kinda don't like how Hornet Queen more or less blanks an entire board of creatures (unless I'm the one blanking my opponent in Constructed), whereas you can like StP or Path an Avenger and then just slog through some 0/1s.

it's the worst fatty against a lot of stuff. like what other 7-drop gets ranched by pyroclasm, and what other 7-drop can you bring back with Reveillark? the power level against creature decks is substantially lower than something like Inferno Titan, eh, it's also just a worse card than Cloudgoat Ranger for the most part. i do enjoy how its initial run in Constructed was as Caleb D.'s tech against Emrakul. as i imagine it, the hornet flies into the Emrakul like an X-wing attacking the death star.

CML

Contributor
It's less of a power level argument and more of a misery argument. I just don't think it's good design.

i think it's fun though for the aforementioned reasons. it's too weird and too durdly to be oppressive or truly miserable. trying to figure out a way around it given a large amount of time is a more interesting puzzle than "remove inferno titan or A of Z and die," at least to me. it is pretty infuriating in limited but what bomb isn't?

CML

Contributor
I don't find it any more miserable than any of the other token "lords." As a seven I think it should have some leeway, but I hate myr battlesphere (the card, the concept it cute).

see i like that one too

in general i think people get way too worried about board-stalls when they rarely happen in practice and, when they do, the position has enough tension and variance (as opposed to the sham complexity of "pass, i'm fucked") to be fun and exciting too

As a person who has lost a number of games at the whim of vault of the archangel I kinda have to beg to differ.

You caught me man, I forgot one of the good ones.
I just wish I wanted to play quad green in more cubes. My green decks are always 3-4 colours unless they don't go over 4. Now I've used that evoke to do some whacky things before but I can't credit every cuber to be into that sort of thing.

You caught me man, I forgot one of the good ones.
I just wish I wanted to play quad green in more cubes. My green decks are always 3-4 colours unless they don't go over 4. Now I've used that evoke to do some whacky things before but I can't credit every cuber to be into that sort of thing.
Yeah the quad green can be a bit of a pain, though my cube purposely funnels people closer to 2-3 colors. I do highly enjoy its evoke.