General Making Aggro more inclusive

I used to agree, but not anymore. Battlesphere feels like a legitimate reward for achieving 7 manas, while Tinker still feels like cheating :)
Do you really feel like cheating when you tinker into staff of nin or shackles? Especially if you are enabling something vaguely cute graveyard wise?
I think I'm just less into bombs than most people. I acknowledge that it's nice to reward decks that spend the number of cards necessary to play 7 mana spells, and it's nice to give any control deck at that point a green stabilizing fatty but I feel like making those options colourful ain't hard and you can let tinker thrive as some sort of tool box grave yard deck.

plus I'm dying to play a cube where doom engine is the only colourless fatty.

See I'm talking about a whole deck here.
Sacrificing your perilous myr to get a staff killing a 3 toughness creature or wiping an aggro board is kinda the magic I want to play
Or say pilgrim's eye, epochrasite or solemn simulacrum into shackles.

There's tonnes of other great answers like disk effects or chaos orb or duplicant, metamorph, effigy or strix. Like no one is saying normal tinker packages aren't GRBS, but for the most part, it's the board position people allow it to end up with that's unfun, not the sweet decks built around artifact combo control.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I've played a cube where Tinker into Staff of Nin felt like a very appropriate option. Tinker is at its best when you are benefiting from its flexibility rather than its cheatiness. If your players are tanking over which artifact to tutor up while still feeling like they get solid value then I think you're in a good place.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
If I were to put Tinker back in, Myr Battlesphere is definitely going out. When I replaced Tinker with Ensoul Artifact in a recent update I got to add Myr Battlesphere back in. Playing with the Battlesphere felt really good this weekend, and a lot more honest than playing Karn Liberated.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I mean, Tinker places a lot of design restraints on your environment, but there's not really a "right" answer. I am glad that there are cubes out there that run it thoughtfully.

I'm looking at removing the bomby artifact stuff, and adding tinker back in. How does tinkering for stuff like smokestack feel? I think that's pretty fair, no?

That actually sounds supes bad without like epochrasite or something.
I think it's the right play sometimes, especially if your artifacts feel like graveyard artifacts, but -1ing yourself pre-stacks sounds like a weird gameplan.

That actually sounds supes bad without like epochrasite or something.
I think it's the right play sometimes, especially if your artifacts feel like graveyard artifacts, but -1ing yourself pre-stacks sounds like a weird gameplan.
That's the fair part. I was thinking it should be made with something like epochrasite or something else that makes sense. Or maybe I'm just adding in trading post :p

Anyone know anything that regrows artifact creatures or more artifact combo tricks?

I think this is a better fix for Brittle Effigy

Brittle Effigy {1}
Artifact
{4}, {T}, Sacrifice Brittle Effigy: Exile target creature.

You could even go to 3cc on the cost to activate.

CML

Contributor
Yeah, I mean, Tinker places a lot of design restraints on your environment, but there's not really a "right" answer. I am glad that there are cubes out there that run it thoughtfully.

well, not that many. i dunno how cool it is to tinker up them Battlebots and what kind of dunce runs Blightsteel Colossus, Inkwell Leviathan, Sphinx of the Steel Wind (don't answer that), they are stupid even without Tinker

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
So, I asked for opinions on the cards, these are the results.

The only ones they didn't like at all was coralhelm commander and beastbreaker of bala ged.

Hada spy patrol was actually pretty popular with Timmy. He also was ok with all of the other leveler cards, thought Johnny wasn't excited by any of them ("if you can level it up"). The 3cc level up costs tempered a lot of their excitment. They liked transcendent master but both recognized that getting to level 6 might be an issue ("it would be epic if you did though...").

Timmy loved hellion eruption, but they were less excited by coat of arms than I thought they would be. I think they recognized it might be a little too choatic for the format. I think Obelisk of urd is the card I am looking for, as it provides the loose tribal support I need, without being over-the-top. The CC and convoke also encourages creatures.

I explained to them the idea behind ajani's pridemate, and well they thought it might be cool, they both quick to state they didn't want it in this cube.

Johnny liked both ion storm and thrummingbird, but I have to keep in mind that ion storm might be more of a midrange card.

Timmy actually really liked experiment one, and they liked the idea behind that whole counter-grow aggro archetype.

As an aside, I was asked this week by Johnny to break singleton on young pyromancer (which I am doing, plated geopede can go), so that seems to be another good inclusive aggro card.