Article [MCD] Commander previews

I rotate in the low-percentage 3-color cards. Recently, The Mimeoplasm has actually been played in a few decks. Reanimator decks are either UB or GB, so BUG is a pretty natural fit. Maelstrom Wanderer has also been pretty popular.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
On a different note, is there anywhere you can pre-order single from these decks? All the stores I usually buy from are already sold out.

CML

Contributor
OK RIPTIDELAB. LET'S ALL GATHER ROUND FOR CML'S TOTALLY POINTLESS STORYTIME!!!

A friend told another friend of his unfamiliar with MTG culture that a 14-year-old girl had Stage IV lymphoma, and her dying wish was to write an article that would be featured on the Mothership. With the very last of her strength she was able to type it out, hunting and pecking, ponderously, like Steven Hawking at a pick-up bar, and send it in to whomever manages these things. Thus "Nymphs of Theros" was published. The friend went home and read it, then told our mutual friend, "You know, I don't want to be a dick, but that article was pretty dumb, even for a 14-year-old girl. What's more, there's something wrong with your story. If there really was a girl dying of cancer, wouldn't they have at least had a little time for, if not a photo-op, then an announcement on the front page?" We then decided that, would we were to endeavor to reproduce (gods willing, never) and our fetus had written the article, we'd have to give it a mercy killing. Thus my new dysphemism "post-birth abortion" was ... born.

The whole point of the story is that Ruhan is not only dumb, he's dumber than "Nymph(o)s of Theros."

Going back to 3c cards, my great love of gold sections bigger than a Downtown Vegas pawn shop makes me wanna type out some more stuff.

Rhox War Monk is on-again, off-again -- it's a fantastic card that time has for whatever reason forgotten. The new Rhino is sweet, too, and he reminds me of another card with equal mana cost that saw some play: Finest Hour.
Esper Charm was a ridiculous constructed card that is too low-impact in Cube.
Sprouting Thrinax might be good in a Waddell-style thing.
Fiery Justice is well-loved over here, it's a terrific card.
I could never get anyone to pick Broodmate or Mimeoplasm.

I have absolutely no idea why he is blue.
However he's on a different level of big dumb object from Woolly Thoctar which went last pick about 3 drafts in a row until someone actually planned on it getting wheeled and the person beside him realized he was in aggro and took it instead of some other card he wasn't going to play. I cut it at that point. On the other hand, 7/7 is big enough to straight up beat everything except 3 other cards in my cube in a fight, and it trades with 2 of those. The cheapest of those is 7 mana vs his 4 (unless you count Greater Gargadon as being cheaper). If almost nobody can profitably block him, that's a pretty great asset.

edit: disclaimer my cube is really weird and full of durdly slow things, normal cube logic doesn't always apply to what is good (or perhaps interesting)

CML

Contributor
But ano "full of durdly slow things" sounds like every non-Riptide Cube ever

fwiw there's an article i wrote (a pair actually where i reported on the "elementary-school theater" of 2012's player's championship feat. childish drama director Sheldon Menery) pillorying PVDDR's terrible, terrible cube draft, which starred (as i recall it) Spell Pierce, City of Traitors, and Ruhan.

tangent: i cannot watch official magic coverage without thinking of this any more. thanks a lot, guys.

But ano "full of durdly slow things" sounds like every non-Riptide Cube ever

fwiw there's an article i wrote (a pair actually where i reported on the "elementary-school theater" of 2012's player's championship feat. childish drama director Sheldon Menery) pillorying PVDDR's terrible, terrible cube draft, which starred (as i recall it) Spell Pierce, City of Traitors, and Ruhan.

tangent: i cannot watch official magic coverage without thinking of this any more. thanks a lot, guys.
Perhaps I have a different flavor of slow durdling! :(

hahaha, you really hate the official wotc coverage even more than I do.

CML

Contributor
Oh come on man. I just get so excited when I hear the pure adrenaline and meticulous analysis and amazing varied tone of voice of not at all a giant narcissist, ZAC HILL!!!

I am looking forward to writing a book where I describe various WotC coverage teams as "circle-jerk triskelions" and a certain member thereof as "... a one-man ouroboros, filled with the sperm-burping self-satisfaction of auto-fellatio"

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Guys, guys, guys, we're all missing the point on Ruhan. He's George Bush! Randomly attacking people, not knowing quite where he's going, and rather unpopular as a general.
Zedruu the greathearted is Obama, constantly being accused of giving away too much but the restrictive cost of him doing anything prevents him from actually doing what he wants.
Numot is Nixon, I guess. Vietnam?

CML

Contributor
hillary.jpg

either expansion symbol seemed appropriate