General Minor Graveyard Support

are we talking about making graveyard a cooler and more relevant and less high maintenance theme or are we talking about grim monolith cubes here?

I thought I was talking to Jason "5 brainstorms double fetch" Waddell here!

I ran Impulse until like a week ago when I cut it for Dig through Time (when did I cut dig? why did I hate on a super fun card?). It's a super valid play in 40-card decks, although I did fire it off turn two sometimes (usually to find Jeskai Ascendancy on curve). also it rewards consistent deckbuilding b/c then it's an instant-speed tutor

Now does anyone wana talk about running 2x goyf 2x compulsive or thirst?

yes, it's me, hello!

Obviously Goyf thrives on attrition so we want to be encouraging that but is the idea to make green more about cool fun beef? Do we run Terravore? I <3 goyf and would be willing to run 2. I also think possibly the compulsive/thirst environment wants to curve into good 4cc reanimation like Dread Return or, uh, maybe Mannequin or Body Snatcher? Seems like it would discourage {2}-drop mana rocks a lil since they don't always help you curve out, pushing control towards mana dorks (1-3-4) to accel? idk this is wild theorizing but I think it'd be a cool environmental pressure

Like you don't actually need synergy for Compulsive or Thirst to be playable - I have them in my cube as a sorcery/instant matched pair - but when you have that synergy, and you barely need any to pull it off (which rules), they're supercharged. like Thirst is borderline GRBS in Vintage it's so much a function of the environment

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I'm not really a big thirst for knowledge fan in cube. With a 30 card artifact section at 360 I've had consistency issues with it.

'goyf seems like a good test subject for this experiment: an already good card, that would greatly benefit from an increase in graveyard velocity rates.

I love Thirst - the fact that it's an instant makes it better than Compulsive Research for me. But I run a lot of artifacts, so I may be biased.

I've flip flopped on the thirst/compulsive debate many times over. Currently on team compulsive research for reasons stated by Grillo, but they are both good cards and either I feel can be the "right choice" depending.

The thing about goyf, and i only recently cut him mind you, is unless you play all proxies you can buy like 3 of the new commander precons for that goyf's store credit value, slot nemesis of mortals into your cube instead, and feel rather smart about the whole exchange...
UNTIL YOUR LGS WONT BUY YOUR LAST GOYF CUZ THEY CANT SELL THE ONE THEY ALREADY HAVE GRRRRRR

Gosh if I were coming home sober tonight I'd be totes pumped but right now I'm just gonna hope someone else explains my learned love of the catalog equivalent spell and we don't get so far off topic i feel like a jerkoff later when I drag it back. <3

Chris Taylor

Contributor
148.jpg

Awwwwwwww :(

Looks super sweet as a graveyard enabler + control card, but also looks like it's potentially oppressive versus decks centered around attacking with X/1s (Delver, R/W etc). I've had opponents sideboard into this card against me while playing Delver in Modern and it feels completely unbeatable. Is the same true in Cube? Have you played it in high power Riptide lists, and what's been your experience with it?

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor

Looks super sweet as a graveyard enabler + control card, but also looks like it's potentially oppressive versus decks centered around attacking with X/1s (Delver, R/W etc). I've had opponents sideboard into this card against me while playing Delver in Modern and it feels completely unbeatable. Is the same true in Cube? Have you played it in high power Riptide lists, and what's been your experience with it?

It feels perfectly fine: basically, its runnable if you have a high concentration of x/1s and x/2s in your cube, which most of us arrive at incidentaly because we end up pushing early game spell sequencing. It also helps police token strategies. You should still check your list though before running it.

Its the only graveyard engine that I've found that really works. People tend to be pretty cold to self-mill, unless they see a substantial benefit, and recursive, efficent removal is a substantial benefit. Typically, it will see 6-9 cards to the yard, and that nicely feeds whatever graveyard strategy is going on.

The other card I like as an engine is shambling shell, but that is low power only.

Thanks for the feedback. I've been leaning on including it for a while. I guess I just need to find a slot for it and test it out.