General Modern Horizons

Alright, guys. I know tribal cubes are parasitic. BUT, my playgroup started in Onslaught (most of us) and everyone always talks about their old elf/goblin/sliver/etc deck.

Basically, I'm liking a lot of the support I'm seeing. What if a cube were heavily angled at the Onslaught tribes, but not reliant on them? Integrate goblin tokens plus a few of the MH1 cards into a Goblistocrats deck. Adeliz already makes wizard-spells look great. The ramp in the cube could be elves wherever possible. Try to make the fatties be beasts. No or very few lords, as those seem problematic and encourage on-rails drafting.

Is this an inherently bad idea or seems fine? More of a nostalgia cube than a full-on tribal cube.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Alright, guys. I know tribal cubes are parasitic. BUT, my playgroup started in Onslaught (most of us) and everyone always talks about their old elf/goblin/sliver/etc deck.

Basically, I'm liking a lot of the support I'm seeing. What if a cube were heavily angled at the Onslaught tribes, but not reliant on them? Integrate goblin tokens plus a few of the MH1 cards into a Goblistocrats deck. Adeliz already makes wizard-spells look great. The ramp in the cube could be elves wherever possible. Try to make the fatties be beasts. No or very few lords, as those seem problematic and encourage on-rails drafting.

Is this an inherently bad idea or seems fine? More of a nostalgia cube than a full-on tribal cube.

There's two basic problems:
1) EVERYTHING IS A CREATURE
2) There's no overlap cards

If you think you've got good solutions for those two problems, give er a shot!

llanowartribe.jpg

My favorite comment about this card is that they should errata Llanowar Elves to be Llanowar Elf, and then just call this one Llanowar Elves.

This seems like a good idea, especially if you're just using the tribes as metaphorical gravy for the other archetypes. I already kind of do this with Zombies. I would recommend including some tribal payoffs if this is the direction you choose to go, like Ravenous Baloth for beasts or Clickslither for Gobbocrats. I also think a couple of +1/+1 lords would be ok as long as they provided some other form of utility or fit into a variety of decks, like Goblin Trashmaster or Elvish Archdruid. You don't need to do many lords, but you shouldn't encourage your drafters to "play elves" if there is no fundamental payoff for them to do so.

This seems like a good idea, especially if you're just using the tribes as metaphorical gravy for the other archetypes. I already kind of do this with Zombies. I would recommend including some tribal payoffs if this is the direction you choose to go, like Ravenous Baloth for beasts or Clickslither for Gobbocrats. I also think a couple of +1/+1 lords would be ok as long as they provided some other form of utility or fit into a variety of decks, like Goblin Trashmaster or Elvish Archdruid. You don't need to do many lords, but you shouldn't encourage your drafters to "play elves" if there is no fundamental payoff for them to do so.

This is right along the lines of what I was thinking. Archdruid is a lord that furthers the ramp deck the elves are already likely supporting. Gobristocrats has a lot of additional sac outlets like Skirk Prospector or Goblin Sledder that may be appropriate. Baloth is a solid 4/4 that encourages beasts without being a super narrow lord-type card.

I was thinking a few lords is probably appropriate, as they give that tribal feeling, but they're VERY narrow.

Zombies is a great tribe because it naturally fits in with what black wants to do anyways. Definitely the easiest addition.

Then any pair with a lame tribe will get assigned something completely non tribal.

llanowartribe.jpg

My favorite comment about this card is that they should errata Llanowar Elves to be Llanowar Elf, and then just call this one Llanowar Elves.

Appearently they don’t understand the lore behind MtG :) All non-legendaries are in hundreds of numbers on the given plane. If you were to build a board game from MtG pieces or a Warhammer battlefield, you would need several of all the non-legendaries and populate the field with a least 100:1 when it comes to non-legendary vs legendary.

The card Llanowar Elves consists of several elves. A single Elf would be 0,25/0,25 and only tap for one quarter of green mana (example). This new card Llanowar Tribe is an entire tribe. A whole lot more.

One problem I see with classic tribes is they are strongly monocolor, and limited is rarely played monocolor, so you need to crack that nut as well.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
The card Llanowar Elves consists of several elves. A single Elf would be 0,25/0,25 and only tap for one quarter of green mana (example). This new card Llanowar Tribe is an entire tribe. A whole lot more.
Going by the numbers, a Llanowar Tribe consists of three Llanowar Elves. If one Llanowar Elves represents four individual elves, we can conclude that an entire Llanowar Tribe must consist of 12 individual elves. That's a small tribe! :')

One problem I see with classic tribes is they are strongly monocolor, and limited is rarely played monocolor, so you need to crack that nut as well.

Pretty much all of the classic tribes (except soldiers) bleed into one or two other colors. For example, Goblins bleed into black, Merfolk bleed into green, Zombies bleed into WURG but especially WU, and Elves bleed into black (and white with some gold cards). If your designing a format specifically to include some level of tribal synergies, then it isn't all that hard to give a tribe a second color.

llanowartribe.jpg

Ignoring the probably impossible errata comment, I kind of love this card. It is a ramp card that both ramps you while being good to ramp into. Go T1 Llanowar Elves T2 Llanowar Tribe and you'll have 7 mana available on turn three. This card is especially good with stuff like Kiora's Follower and Vizier of Tumbling Sands which can let you untap it to produce even more mana. In addition, a 3/3 body for 3 is just decent.

Also, I like how the trees in the background appear to be bundles of logs bound by string. That's a reference to ancient Iroquois lore that was later appropriated into American lore:
arrowsolivebranch-jpg.237906

Basically, the idea is that one arrow can easily be snapped in two, but many arrows can hold firm against a lot of force. This is much akin to the Elves of Llanowar, who are stronger together!

vesperlark.jpg

Mini Revilark! I wish this was a 2-Drop with a 3-mana evoke... I'm sorely in need of good white 2s!

tributemage.jpg

Now all we need is a 4-drop and a 5-drop search mage! Some possible names include:
Trucker Mage
Trouser Mage
Trainman Mage
Tranquil Mage
Tripwire Mage
Trilobite Mage
Treadmill Mage
Trashy Mage
Trouncing Mage
Trawler Mage

Going by the numbers, a Llanowar Tribe consists of three Llanowar Elves. If one Llanowar Elves represents four individual elves, we can conclude that an entire Llanowar Tribe must consist of 12 individual elves. That's a small tribe! :')

Luckily I put “(example)” in there to cover all bases :p

Also, I like how the trees in the background appear to be bundles of logs bound by string. That's a reference to ancient Iroquois lore that was later appropriated into American lore:
arrowsolivebranch-jpg.237906

Basically, the idea is that one arrow can easily be snapped in two, but many arrows can hold firm against a lot of force. This is much akin to the Elves of Llanowar, who are stronger together

Nice catch!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
tributemage.jpg

Now all we need is a 4-drop and a 5-drop search mage! Some possible names include:
Trucker Mage
Trouser Mage
Trainman Mage
Tranquil Mage
Tripwire Mage
Trilobite Mage
Treadmill Mage
Trashy Mage
Trouncing Mage
Trawler Mage

Tax Mage
Truage Mage
Toll Mage
Trove Mage
Tool Mage
Tech(nology) Mage
Toy Mage
Tinker Mage
Transmutation Mage
Telekinetic Mage
Thran Mage (showing Thran Tome, or any of the other four cmc 4 Thran artifacts)
Tower Mage (showing Tower Gargoyle, Tower of Fortunes, or any of the other four cmc 4 Tower artifacts)
Thrumming Mage (showing Thrumming Stone, ok grasping here...)
Tracer Mage
Transport Mage
Teleportation Mage
Trader Mage

Ok... I think I've exhausted most of my options here...

TOPIARY MAGE!

(You know you want it! :p )

Also, I like how the trees in the background appear to be bundles of logs bound by string. That's a reference to ancient Iroquois lore that was later appropriated into American lore [...] Basically, the idea is that one arrow can easily be snapped in two, but many arrows can hold firm against a lot of force. This is much akin to the Elves of Llanowar, who are stronger together!
While I've heard this before, it seems it's one of Aesop's fables "The old man and his sons" which would predate both the United States and the Iroquois.

Llanowar Tribe looks fun, though. 3 Mana is a lot. Is Elves played in Modern? I remember we used to have aggrocombo elves back in the day.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Does anyone share my fear that Wizard is going to "out-riptide" us with these supplemental products and with their new design policy ?
We can always go EVEN MOOAR RIPTIDE and totally outriptide them to the ground!
I welcome the challenge
We can't do that, then we just up like Balduvian Trading Post. I'm happy enough with the level we have here. I haven't been game enough to go back there after the logarithmic cube gave me number crunching headache.
I wonder if they will get any new users now that Mtgs is closing down?

Player Douchebag: I cast Ten Niv-Mizzets

Player Victim: I cast Oblivion Ring targeting Ten Niv-Mizzets. “Yes I managed to find an answer that doesn’t trigger the card draw ability.”

Player Douchebag: “Ahem. In response! I am thinking about casting a sorcery spell even with a full stack. I draw ten cards, my Ten Niv-Mizzets will trigger ten times which, by my astute calculations, arrives at one hundred damage to you, sir.”