General Modern Horizons

dl0ms7ih8sz21[1].jpg
This is a nice enabler. Searches for Gravecrawler, Hangarback, Ballista, or just a white 1 drop for aggro.

en_nhGfplWr09[1].png
Is this thing good enough with random tribal synergies to be worth running over a 3/1 that actually has abilities?

en_ebtXO3Q0jb.png

I really want to play this but it's hard to spare the Rakdos slot...

goblinengineer1.jpg

Holy shit, this is the exact card I needed for Welder/Daretti strategies to take off. A second pseudo-Welder effect AND weird Red artifact Entomb variant stapled to a body is all I've ever wanted. I'm definitely going to revisit a U/R centric Artifact archetype after this set is released. This is such a sweet card.

Ranger Captain is pretty awesome too. Being able to sac on your opponent's upkeep/draw step to prevent them from playing a T4 wrath to stabilize the board is exactly the kind of reach you need in W/x aggressive decks to get across the finish line. White 3s are incredibly crowded nowadays but this has the body, creature type, and relevant abilities to find a home in my cube. This set is a cube goldmine so far.

These are the first 4 cards that I've actively been like "I want to include this if I can" with this set:
goblinengineer1.jpg
rangercaptainofeos.jpg
scrapyardrecombiner.jpg
etchingsofthechosen.jpg

Goblin Engineer and Scrapyard Recombiner both look like interesting pieces for a weird artifact value deck. I especially like Engineer since it can grab Combustible Gearhulk as a reanimator target. I also like the fact that it can create a card-draw loop with Ichor Wellspring and Terrarion/Chromatic Star or something similar. Scrapyard Recombiner is a little bit weaker in that regard. Right now, I only have 4 cards in my new list that it can target, so I would need to add a little bit of support. I think it might be good enough to be a shoe-in in G/W Hardened Scales decks.

Ranger- Captain of Eos is nice in Orzhov lists in my cube as a means for grabbing one of black's many important one-drops, such as Gravecrawler. I'm not sure I love the "your opponents can't cast non creature spells this turn" clause, just because it might confuse my drafters. I'm not even really sure what it's doing on this card, all I can really think of is hate for Storm and Ad Nauseum combo decks.

Etchings of the Chosen works really well with the Spirit Tokens in my Orzhov section, and also acts as a sacrifice outlet. I like that you can "reset" it by blinking it.

planeboundaccomplice.jpg

After War of the Spark, I kind of think that there's enough support for a dedicated U/R superfriends archetype in U/R. This card just reinforces that. It lets you bring in an Ugin, the Spirit Dragon for a turn and wipe the board, which is pretty nice in my opinion. You can also blink the walker and just keep it in R/W.

When I was 14, I wanted to make a deck to bully all the last-year scouts who all liked to play slow, but degenerate, decks. Instead of building control, I decided that aggro slivers was the way to go. I am so happy that some new guys can join my deck:
thefirstsliver.jpg
dregscapesliver.jpg
lavabellysliver.jpg
temperedsliver.jpg

I was running a Bant list, so Tempered Sliver is the only one I can immediately insert.

I would actually run Dregscape Sliver as is if it were a Zombie. That's just wishful thinking though...

Lavabelly Sliver might be good enough to cube with depending on your power level. Being able to stop a planeswalker ultimate for a turn without having to attack seems rather appealing. The body isn't unplayably bad, either.

en_eXrKEAKIZp.png

I just like the art and Flavor Text on this. Those trees are actually Black Lotuses!

I'm just very glad they dropped the awful "birdman sliver" concepts and went back to the original sliver look. I hope we get a new sliver token in order to get a dozen before the prices skyrocket.

Because they weren’t intended to be Slivers. Then many months after pictures had been painted, Wizards decided that this super new alien creature type were stepping too much on Slivers’ toes and decided to make them all Slivers instead.

Is the new Scrapheap Combiner + Foundry Inspector + Scrap Trawler all in the same cube really cool, or severe oversaturation of creatures costing {3} which are artifact payoffs?

I think it's pretty cool, they all can tie into different types of artifact decks and archetypes, but once you also add chief of the foundry, workshop assistant, and armory automaton then it's probably too many haha.

Scrapyard Recombiner is my favorite card so far, so many sweet payoffs including the gearhulks and myr battlesphere that are probably already in a lot of cubes and the recombiner can even sacrifice itself for a slow and very specific fabricate

“It strikes like a spear from nothing.”
“It strikes like a shock from a search.”
“It strikes like a bolt from a divination.”
“It strikes like a blast from a brainstorm.”
“It strikes like an axe from a tidings.”

pyrophobia.jpg

There have better be an actual coward in this set! This still works with changelings, but it still would be lame if there were no "real" cowards.

umezawascharm.jpg

Charming

ayulaqueenamongbears.jpg
motherbear.jpg

I didn't realize WOTC were Chicago fans!

splicersskill.jpg

I might actually consider trying this. Seems good with storm cards...