General Modern Horizons

Oooooooooooh. Finally a Serendib Efreet that doesn't feel like it's breaking the color pie.

bazaartrademage.jpg

Here are the limited archetypes as discussed on today's stream:

UW - Blink
UB - NINJAS!! (Spoilers start tomorrow)
RB - Goblins
RG - Lands in GY matter
GW - Creaturefall
BW - Changelings
UR - Draw 2 Matters
BG - Graveyard stuff
RW - Slivers
UG - Snow

Here are the limited archetypes as discussed on today's stream:

UW - Blink
UB - NINJAS!! (Spoilers start tomorrow)
RB - Goblins
RG - Lands in GY matter
GW - Creaturefall
BW - Changelings
UR - Draw 2 Matters
BG - Graveyard stuff
RW - Slivers
UG - Snow

Ugggg WOTC why you gotta make me question my Gruul Riot deck? I already have Life from the Loam/Molten Vortex together.

They had better put a good R/G GY lands gold card into this set or else I'm going to be struck by a flying ice cream truck (and live unscathed).

Oh my god, they are testing me so hard with the Ninja's. I need some control-focused guilds, and {U/B} is the strongest now ... but Ninjas! If they are too awesome I might have t reconsider some choices ... hugely. I hate you wizards, stop printing awesome stuff that contradicts my cube archetypes!

Well, {W/U} Blink and {B/G} Graveyard are just what I'm doing, and {G/W} Creaturefall could work well with my as-many-tokens-as-possible approach and give me a nice gold payoff. But most importantly, that {R/G} archetype sounds like we could get some nice discard outlets here! PLEASE!

The set in general seems to be so so much for me. After the WAR disappointment, I feel really catered too. MH1 will be my first prerelease since Shdows over Innistrad. Heck, it has a chance to become my favorite set since original Ravnica. Only grain of salt for me is the overly strong focus on tribal themes.

PS: I hope for a splice onto instants/sorceries on blue/red/black cards

Oooooooooooh. Finally a Serendib Efreet that doesn't feel like it's breaking the color pie.

bazaartrademage.jpg

This actually seems like a really cool card. I'm sure there are decks interested in the Bazaar effect, like some kind of UB dredge thing, as well as there being Ux discard decks, and Ux tempo decks that don't mind trading cards for some aggresion? Really cool card.

Hollowhead Sliver {2}{R}
Creature - Sliver (U)
Sliver creatures you control have "{T}, Discard a card: Draw a card."
2/2

I can't add an image right now, but wow, that thing is pretty decent on it's own. Rummaging Goblin +1/+1 ...

Rummaging Goblin has a nice flavor text and a nice art on M13, M15 and Ixalan. I am not sure neither the Goblin nor the Sliver will ever have a home in a cube.

2D18C0B0-C58C-405C-998D-B5FF6928DDA6.jpeg

Signals Slivers so don’t run it unless you have other Slivers.

Oh. Oh my.

windsofabandon.jpg

I think I like this better than Path to Exile. Instant speed 1 mana removal is simply way too efficient. The sorcery speed 2 CMC cost is way more palatable, and the overload prompts the same interesting decisions I liked with Mizzium Mortars.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Pathium Mortars seems good. I've always wanted a solid instant/sorcery 2cc removal thing (Young pyromancer is a hell of a drug), and another option there is nice.
Is it just me, or is this set not actually any good for modern? :p Everything I see is like "Oh, that's interesting, it reminds me of X. It's worse, but it's cool"

There's also this little fella:
hexdrinker.jpg

G
Creature - Snake
Level up 1 (1: Put a level counter on this. Level up only as a sorcery.)

Level 3-7: Hexdrinker has protection from instants. [4/4]
Level 8+: Hexdrinker has protection from everything. [6/6]
2/1

So Green Savannah Lions, protection from instants is cool but not overbearing, and the ultimate is cute and ends the game, but costs 9.
I like it!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
If you're doing nothing else, that's a smaller Progenitus on turn 4. A 2/1 for {G} alone is nice, edging Magic ever closer to a viable green aggro deck, and this has a decent upside. However, apart from proliferate shenanigans, is this better than...

?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
If you're doing nothing else, that's a smaller Progenitus on turn 4. A 2/1 for {G} alone is nice, edging Magic ever closer to a viable green aggro deck, and this has a decent upside. However, apart from proliferate shenanigans, is this better than...

?

Probably. Kessig is 6 in, has to be paid all at once. Same size, and reverse menace is probably worse than pro instants.
As proliferate's biggest fan, I wouldn't worry too much about that interaction, the level up is {1} :p

Im honestly most worried about the ultimate coming out too quickly. If you curve out with this on turn 4 it ults next turn.