General MTGO 'Vintage Cube'

I still don't get those jokes ._.
(might be because I'm not a native speaker)

The original joke (as I've heard it here in the States) goes like this: someone says something ending with the "-er" sound. For example:
Friend: "I sure could use a helper."
You: "Helper? I hardly know her!" (helper == "help her")
Friend, continuing the joke: "Know her? But she's your sister!"
You: "Sister? But she's a mister?"
Friend: "A mister? You almost kissed her!"
You: ... (continue until you get bored or it stops making sense)

so I realized why calling this the Vintage Cube was irking me, on a level beyond the facile '9 pieces of power in 540 cards' thing. It's because I remembered Mike Lucas, who actually keeps a "Vintage Constructed Cube" of his own and plays 60-card games. (if you draft a card not on the Vintage restricted list, you get four copies for deckbuilding - do you wanna first-pick Recall or Preordain?)

(oh, here's a vintage 360 he made that I just found! maybe this will be helpful to those of us who wanna refigure Powered formats)

Here's a ManaDeprived article talking about the VCC cube. I could swear there's another post by the owner where he talks about the Vintage Constructed Cube and in the opening grafs there's a lil rant at WotC for including Time Vault in their holiday cube but I can't find it right now. after much thought scouring I def. remember some kind of cheap dig early on in the post but nothing else, sorry!

I have been drafting the MTGO Holiday/Power cube some. I am still trying to figure out the best g1 configuration for this Gw "stax" deck:

Capture.PNG
Round 1 saw lots of changes in g2/3: I first took out Smokestack and the Natural Order+Terastadon. Then, I brought stack back in and cut some white cards.Waiting for R2 to start after a win versus Esper control.

Anyone else been playing? I'll post more of my decks later!

Zy41spX.png

A perfectly fair little WW deck.

- Baleful Strix was never castable. Mana didn't stretch that far.
- I didn't draw Time Walk and Black Lotus much. Mana Crypt showed up often enough.
- It did go 3-0. Lingering Souls was the all-star. Skullclamp also did a lot of work.
- Some games were pretty entertaining - in particular, dropping a sideboarded Moat off a Show and Tell to combat a Progenitus and carrying on with a beatdown via Lingering Souls tokens.
- Some games were brutally short - one on-the-play t1 consisted of Plains, Mana Crypt, Black Lotus, Lingering Souls, Figure of Destiny, Spirit of the Labyrinth, pass.
- It was probably more fun to play than play against.

Okay, I'll explain. So if someone is all like "I'm going to punch you right in the kisser" (kisser = mouth), then the other guy would be like "kiss'er? I hardly know her"

The joke here is that "kisser" sounds like a kind of dialect way to say "kiss her", which is something you (generally) do with people you are already familiar with.

That's the established joke format. Then we crank in some absurdity when we say something like "Beuhler? I hardly know 'er", because there's no such verb as "beuhl". We're just subverting an established lame joke format.

I had no idea this was where that came from. I thought it was some obscure reference to the fact that we add cards to our cube and then cut them 15 minutes later (like I hardly knew that card because really I didn't even play the damn thing before it left my list).

Clearly that was totally fucking wrong. lol

I am digging the cube single elim payout structure: win round 1 and entry is recouped. I have been drafting, playing and dropping after a single round win a lot- feels almost like draft on demand mtg!

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
I am digging the cube single elim payout structure: win round 1 and entry is recouped. I have been drafting, playing and dropping after a single round win a lot- feels almost like draft on demand mtg!

My only problem with this is the fact that it is the vintage cube and you just be blown out by the most stupid thing in the first round and lose.

This is why I like the swiss as you can lose the first round, then if you win the next two you break even and can draft again. Plus you get a solid 3 rounds in. I guess each to their own.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
not a fan of Vintage Cube

BUT

sometimes you go T2 Dark Ritual, Seething Song, Sneak Attack -> Emrakul + Griselbrand

FYSeK9M.png

Sounds like a good addictive loop. Sometimes you get a win, sometimes you don't, either way it's quick and easy to pull the lever again!

Please stop making me want to play MODO, tia
It may curb your desire knowing I have yet to lose round one in single elim with mono white or mono red (one of which always seems open unless I force a "fun" archetype). Mono white is often so deep that I can draft a fast hate bear WW and SB into midrange (or add a plethora slower card adv cards) versus other fair decks. Here is a deck waiting to play in the finals (get bored):

Capture.PNG