Sets [OGW] Oath of the Gatewatch Spoiler Thread

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I'm not sure that even a strict colour restriction like that would get me to cube with it, because if you can resolve it on turn six, it's still just as game-breaking as it always was.

It'd probably need to be at least one colour, and be 7 cmc...? Then it could at least be a valid reanimator target or ramp finisher, and might not be an auto-pick for the straight control and midrange drafters.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'm not sure that even a strict colour restriction like that would get me to cube with it, because if you can resolve it on turn six, it's still just as game-breaking as it always was.

Oh, for sure! I don't cube with Grave Titan either. But putting it at 3BBB would return it to above the curve power levels instead of way over the top GRBS power levels. If you first pick it, you are at least committing (heavily) to a color, instead of keeping your options wide open and picking the best card in the booster at the same time!

The thing I don't get about the <> thing is why they're changing it on lands. All they had to do was add <> in mana costs, and say its has to be paid for with colorless mana. The other half makes it more confusing, if anything/

The thing I don't get about the <> thing is why they're changing it on lands. All they had to do was add <> in mana costs, and say its has to be paid for with colorless mana. The other half makes it more confusing, if anything/

Not everyone understands the difference between colorless mana produced and generic mana in cost- the majority of magic players aren't the tournament players who know all the rules! They'd have to have the reminder text "Pay <> with colorless mana only" on every card with <> in its mana cost (which will eventually appear again), which makes sense to people with all the game knowledge, but someone who learned from a friend who learned from their cousin would look at their artifacts, see that they 'pay colorless mana' for them (because their friend/cousin worded it badly), and think they can pay any color mana as colorless- "So why did they bother with this new symbol again? Whatever. Ten forests = Kozilek."

This way there is no way for someone to misinterpret the new mana symbol going forward, as long as they learn "any time you make number mana it's that many <>," which IMO is less complex than trying to explain to someone the difference between the {1} their painland makes and the {1} their bonesplitter costs- I have a lot of casual players under my wing that ask a lot of questions, and this has been the hardest thing to get across to them since re-teaching oldschool players all the M10 rules changes. They get that <> costs colorless but get confused when they look at kozilek because they shortcut "{1}=<>" when they first look at the cards and just stop there.

Oh yeah, spoiler season started today:
shouldertoshoulder.jpg
mundasvanguard.jpg
recklessbushwhacker.jpg
jorienruindiver.jpg
stonehavenoutfitter.jpg

Couple new mechanics, couple interesting cards- some themes going forward etc.

I like Shoulder to Shoulder as a way for white-based beatdown decks to combine value with card parity. More incidental "counters matter" enablers is welcome as well.

The Surge Inspiration/Divination is more interesting than good, but it does pique my curiosity.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
The new one is stronger, no question. The only scenario where goblin bushwhacker out performs it is in the scenario where you are stuck on exactly two red sources. Otherwise its an easier to cast bushwhacker; giving me one less singleton break in the main cube.

The other awesome thing about it, is that the trigger is ETB, not from kicker, so you can blink it, reanimate it, do all sorts of sick things: turn it into a real damage engine.

Reckless Bushwhacker is awesome. It's a better Goblin Bushwhacker because you don't need RR.

I'm trying to tell the guys at MTGS that he's sweet but that's a tough crowd over there. If it isn't power maxing, well then why are you talking about it?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Hmmmmmmm. I wonder if shoulder to shoulder is good enough for my enviornment...

Also I hope theres going to be a surge spell or two that is fine for someone like me without a huge hard-on for storm :p

I'm a sucker for full art promos like that, which is odd because I think the full art expedition lands look awful. Go figure.

I wish that said attacking or blocking creature.