Sets [OGW] Oath of the Gatewatch Spoiler Thread

I think Sidisi isn't as bad because:
  • He has 2 abilities rather than 3, which is cleaner.
  • Both abilities are quite narrow, so it reads like a single ability which may get better with other cards.
Flesh Carver is the main offender for me.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I feel bad that kalitas and the card type demon got spoiled at the same time, I like em both, but kalitas seems less necessary

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
With the colourless-mana is not generic-mana errata, is Mage-Ring Network now the has the most awkward looking Oracle text of any card in existence?

Edit: Also Mana Drain...
Nah, Saprazzan Cove and companions give us a nice indication of the new Oracle wording.

Mage-Ring Network
Land
{T}: Add <> to your mana pool.
{1}, {T}: Put a storage counter on Mage-Ring Network.
{T}, Remove any number of storage counters from Mage-Ring Network: Add <> to your mana pool for each storage counter removed this way.

Similarly, cards like Karametra's Acolyte give us an idea where Mana Drain will end up.

Mana Drain {U}{U}
Instant

Counter target spell. At the beginning of your next main phase, add an amount of <> to your mana pool equal to that spell's converted mana cost.

PS. We need that colorless mana symbol in our smily collection!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
And this is why I don't help out in the templating thread. Thanks Onder!

No problem ;)

I am in the process of printing proxies, and each time I catch an error in one of the prints I'm banging my head. Magic uses a very specific language that is not always intuitive to write (though surprisingly easy to read nowadays) o_O

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb

Yeah, that's where the "nowadays" part of my comment comes in :p

Another beauty ;)

I've been contemplating another wording on Dead Ringers, but this pretty much is the cleanest way to put it in Magicese. "Destroy two target nonblack creatures with exactly the same colors" isn't Magicese.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I've legitimately forgotten how I added the mana smilies all those years ago and am afraid of destroying everything if I touch it :( But I'll see if I have time over the holidays to take a crack at it!

Here's something about smilies for this forum:

https://www.google.nl/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=xenforo upload smilies

This seems useful:

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/uploading-a-new-smiley.42368/

Is this symbol large enough?

C1.png C2.png

I got these from our friends over at a well known forum, but they're not aligned quite right... Maybe you can fix that?

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Perhaps this is a little too inside baseball, but basically, what I remember is that all of the mana smilies come on a "sheet" (not unlike a Magic card sheet!) - all of those symbols actually come from one single .png file, and then I specify the coordinates and boundaries for each smiley and map those to a keyboard shortcut. I can't remember if I can upload more than one sheet or not, but for long-term maintainability (sorry, I'm a software engineer by trade, and this is something that's always a factor in any request), I would prefer to keep only one sheet active at a time. So if I can find a new sheet with all of the old smilies, plus the new symbol, and I don't have to manually re-enter all of the coordinates and boundaries again, it'll happen!

I know this might sound like I'm making excuses, but I just wanted to acknowledge that your request has been heard, and that I want the new colourless symbol as well, but if there's a small hiccup or delay, this will be why. Transparency and all that!

I've been contemplating another wording on Dead Ringers, but this pretty much is the cleanest way to put it in Magicese. "Destroy two target nonblack creatures with exactly the same colors" isn't Magicese.
I'm still a fan of Lucre's plain-language card text. What if you ditch the magicianese and just write it exactly how you'd explain it to another player? "Target two creatures which are the same color but aren't black. Kill 'em!"

Aoret

Developer
I'm still a fan of Lucre's plain-language card text. What if you ditch the magicianese and just write it exactly how you'd explain it to another player? "Target two creatures which are the same color but aren't black. Kill 'em!"
It's actually really important, when working with customs for example, to strictly adhere to templating, rule precedents, etc. You're already pushing it by trying to errata cards or make them up. You need any scrap of legitimacy you can get. You don't want this you want this instead.

WhyMTGCardsmith has become my new favorite internet thing

merry xmas:
tumblr_nnhn8zsMDu1tm904wo1_400.png

I think one of the coolest red cards I've ever seen! A five drop that's not "big dragon", "3/3 double striker + effect", "Some giant". And note that the card is cast without paying it's mana cost. So this is ~8 mana of stuff happening for 5.