Sets [OGW] Oath of the Gatewatch Spoiler Thread

What's up with the innistrad 2 spoilers in not-English? Amy translations?

It's from the duel deck- geist of st. traft vs. this demon dude. Last translation I saw was something like this:

Flying, Trample
When ~ ETBs (might be cast), mill 4. At the beginning of your upkeep, if you don't have at least four card types in your graveyard, lose four life.

Not very exciting imo.

It's from the duel deck- geist of st. traft vs. this demon dude. Last translation I saw was something like this:

Flying, Trample
When ~ ETBs (might be cast), mill 4. At the beginning of your upkeep, if you don't have at least four card types in your graveyard, lose four life.

Not very exciting imo.

lhurgoyf set, tarmogoyf reprint confirmed for SOI standard

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I actually like that demon guy. 4/5 is real big, even by overpowered delve guy standards, and this guy gets better in multiples, not worse.
Also trample. Trample is like, a really big deal

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
guxMQzV.jpg
Sweet card. Double board wipe.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
For anyone that might have been wondering, that red/white manland in the spoiler is a 2/1 double striker, which I actually quite like. 4 mana to activate seems a bit much though?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
For anyone that might have been wondering, that red/white manland in the spoiler is a 2/1 double striker, which I actually quite like. 4 mana to activate seems a bit much though?

I'm kinda of the opinion that it's still good enough. It's hard to justify complaining about a free creature.
Also given the power level so far, I'm not surprised at all it wasn't Iroas' Champion

4 mana for 4 damage seems about right for a dual manland. Double-striking 2/1 is odd, though. Super-fragile. I guess they didn't want it blocking too well, but trading with a 2/3 is balls.

it's time to GET HYPED folks:

playable walkers!
nissavoiceofzendikar.jpg
chandraflamecaller.jpg

oh wow they're actually doing what I hoped they would w/ the Expeditions!
wasteland.jpg
horizoncanopy.jpg

cool lands for limited!
crumblingvestige.jpg
holdoutsettlement.jpg

this dude is a black lifelinking graveyard-hating triple-tribing monstar:
kalitastraitorofghet.jpg

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Anyone who is saying this is "Another Shitty Chandra" is drunk. First, because Chandra, Pyromaster isn't shitty. Second, because this card is amazing. Really unique niche. Three abilities that can be used right away. She's like a charm, except on a six mana, game winning permanent.

I have mixed feelings about the Chandra.

The 0 is great, no argument there! Super-sweet and definitely the power level I expect from a 6-cmc walker. Her ability to wipe the board is... questionable. Only being able to pop for 3 (and live) when she comes down feels awfully weak for 6-cmc, it just doesn't deal with the majority of 'true' threats that are floating around by the time you expect to cast her (and neither does 4 for that matter). Crashing for 6 is probably the real reason for her cost, since being able to ACTUALLY end the game with three + activations isn't a small thing by any means. Splitting it across two 3/1s without trample is meh, but we can't have it all.

Just imagine a simple, average scenario: Your opponent has, well, a 4/4. Or larger. There are tons of cards that fit that bill. You can't effectively cast chandra into it without losing her or gaining minimal value (killing a 4/4, hitting them for three, or cycling your hand). Not a great value for a 6-cmc walker. The "best" (realistic) scenarios you can get for her are things like an opponent stabilizing with a planeswalker (that chandra can kill) or them just having a ton of small guys.

What really puts her in the "not great" category for me is simply that when you land her on an empty board, where high-costing walkers force your opponent to either have the 1:1 or sacrifice many resources, Chandra just isn't enough. In a vacuum (I know, but hey this shit happens a lot) you land chandra, they untap and plop a siege rhino or something? The best you can do is trade her away. Elspeth, Apex Predator, Karn, Ugin, nicol bolas, hell even Caller of Beasts probably has a good way to at least maintain parity. Sorin Markov and Chandra Ablaze (both from OG zendikar, and some of the earliest designs) are the only heavy-costers that are questionable. Cycling my tiny hand+1 and praying for removal isn't what I want to be doing with my 6-cmc walker yo.

She IS charm-like, which is cool, but it's a charm with a strong burn mode and two 'maybe' modes that are fine effects, but overcosted at six. Calling her 'another shitty chandra' is pretty harsh, but at the end of the day her best mode IS what her + has always been: Slap Face. I don't know what would actually make people happy with a red planeswalker, and I like pyromaster and koth well enough, but this doesn't do it for me. The recent red walkers have all felt like near-misses: Domri and Xenagos were both 80% green, Sarkhan couldn't kill siege rhino, the boogeyman of the same set, origins Chandra was strictly an aggro/burn card, and now this is some kind of weird curve-topper for the high-toughness red eldrazi deck or something.

P.S. The Oath booster packaging has those super-early arts of the walkers all 'pledging' or whatever- seems like a likely cycle of charms/commands!

I'm passing on Chandra. She would have to cost 3RR and have much more ability to protect herself and more importantly deal with larger threats than like 3 toughness creatures. This is a 6 drop that I would be embarrassed to play into a 4/4. :(

Kalitas is cute but I don't think it does anything I particularly want better than anything else does, so I have to pass.

Nissa is playable in aggro and Stax. Aggro really only splashes green (or blue) in my cube, so 1GG isn't good aggro support and even then I'm not convinced its better for aggro than green's three drop creatures. I do have a token subtheme going on but white anthems are better than this nowadays. I like supporting Smokestack but I think I still have better ways to do it than making 0/1 plants. Pass.

I do look forward to picking up that very sexy Horizon Canopy. I love how the landmasses are actually forming a canopy over the horizon.

To be fair, the last 6 cmc planeswalker that could both wipe the board and poop out tokens absolutely dominated Standard for the entire time she was legal.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
kalitastraitorofghet.jpg

Let's talk about this one. We're always asking for more life gain in black. It's not the most impressive sac-outlet, but when you consider it should also gain you more life, that's pretty sweet. Incentevized to hold removal until this is on board, that's pretty sweet.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Chandra, my biggest disappointment is that the PW making sac-able tokens is too expensive to run in aggro-sac decks.

Pretty cute that they brought back the same artist and made the art so similar, where Drana looks super-different from her old style.

Tribal sacrifice makes him slightly narrow, but being an engine himself is good- punished for chump-blocking! I feel like he either absolutely crushes and your opponent never has a chance or he does pretty much nothing, depending on their archetype. What's a similar card- one that depends on your opponent's creatures dying to really flex?