General Old Standard Formats

As someone who has only been playing since Kaladesh block, I’ve found it very difficult to find much info on old standard decks and formats, especially in a design context. Knowing that many people here are old-timers, I was wondering what everyone has to say on the subject.

What formats do you remember fondly (or not), and why? Any specific decks with really unique and interesting concepts? And how can this be translated to cube design?

So, let us commence basking in nostalgia, showcasing old brews, and weakly justifying the lessons we can learn from all these old decklists!

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
There is almost nothing written about magic from a design standpoint unfortunatly. Almost of the material produced is by pros writing content for card seller websites, and it focuses on competitive meta min/maxing. Here and there might be sprinkled a pros opinions on design, but its usually very shallow, as they are just consumers in the end. Thousands of hours go into making each of these formats, and its hardly looked at by the community outside of learning how to win in it. Such a waste.

The only source I found that did a semi-serious break down of design, is the articles written by this guy. I discovered him 3 years ago, and while his work is very good in an abstract theortical sense, I found it distorted and riddled with conceptual flaws when put into practice. Its still very good though, and well worth a read.

The eras I understand best are the original mid/late 90s era, and the original rav-cold snap standard. A lot of my impressions about that era are present in the cube blog. Most of the higher power formats on the forum seem to draw inspiration from SOM-ID era of magic, which is another high point in magic's success.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
My three favorite standard formats of all time are...

Invasion / Odyssey
Psychatog
Squirrel Opposition
UG Madness
MBC
WU Speculation
RG Beats
4C Braids
Trenches
Battle of Wits
Hunting Grounds

The diversity of this format was incredible! So many different deck types as well. You had hard control, aggro, combo, midrange, and there was a serious place for rogue decks at the local level. I loved it :)

Champions of Kamigawa / Ravnica (/ Coldsnap)
Heartbeat
WU Weenie
UR Ponza
Zoo
Owling Mine
Izzetron
Hand in Hand
Solar Flare

Highlighted because it had some of the most ridiculous nonsense going on without feeling unbalanced. There was a legit land destruction deck! People won by bouncing lands to the opponent's hand each turn! Despite that there somehow were still slow control decks that performed well! And of course there was aggro and combo to in this format, plus, again, a lot of room to go rogue. For example, ninja's were viable for a time during this format! Who doesn't love ninja's!?

Ravnica (/ Coldsnap) / Time Spiral
RDW 2k7
Dredge Bridge
WUB Blink-Touch
TarmoRack
Aussie Storm
UB Teachings
Solar Flare
AngelFire
Rakdos
Ghazi-Glare
OmniChord
Rakdos 10 (Dark Confidant and Greater Gargadon in the same deck :D)
Project X
MGA

Holy smokes was this format deep. This was basically every deck builder's wet dream. My goodness! So many cool decks, so many cool interactions, and there were still succesful monocolored straightforward decks for those who didn't want to join in on all the ridiculous techy decks! This was an awesome time to be alive for standard play :)

I have the same favorites as Onder, exactly the same three. I used to run an Orzhov aggro in CHK RAV with Bob, Jitte, Hippy and Blackmail. Also, a WG control with Carven Caryatid, many wrath's and Vitu-Ghazi, the City-Tree or Yosei + Debtors' Knell as finisher. Also a janky Dimir+Golgari Vigor Mortis/Glimpse the Unthinkable reanimator. There were so many cool decks around, and you could beat tier 1 decks with your brews.

You forgot UG Threshold (which looks like but plays totally differently than UG madness). See Raphael Levy's world's deck.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
My three favorite standard formats of all time are...

Invasion / Odyssey
Psychatog
Squirrel Opposition
UG Madness
MBC
WU Speculation
RG Beats
4C Braids
Trenches
Battle of Wits
Hunting Grounds

The diversity of this format was incredible! So many different deck types as well. You had hard control, aggro, combo, midrange, and there was a serious place for rogue decks at the local level. I loved it :)

Champions of Kamigawa / Ravnica (/ Coldsnap)
Heartbeat
WU Weenie
UR Ponza
Zoo
Owling Mine
Izzetron
Hand in Hand
Solar Flare

Highlighted because it had some of the most ridiculous nonsense going on without feeling unbalanced. There was a legit land destruction deck! People won by bouncing lands to the opponent's hand each turn! Despite that there somehow were still slow control decks that performed well! And of course there was aggro and combo to in this format, plus, again, a lot of room to go rogue. For example, ninja's were viable for a time during this format! Who doesn't love ninja's!?

Ravnica (/ Coldsnap) / Time Spiral
RDW 2k7
Dredge Bridge
WUB Blink-Touch
TarmoRack
Aussie Storm
UB Teachings
Solar Flare
AngelFire
Rakdos
Ghazi-Glare
OmniChord
Rakdos 10 (Dark Confidant and Greater Gargadon in the same deck :D)
Project X
MGA

Holy smokes was this format deep. This was basically every deck builder's wet dream. My goodness! So many cool decks, so many cool interactions, and there were still succesful monocolored straightforward decks for those who didn't want to join in on all the ridiculous techy decks! This was an awesome time to be alive for standard play :)
Not only were ninjas viable, they won worlds that year! A bug ninjas deck abusing birds of paradise for ninja triggers, and a transformational sideboard of one plains and 14 white cards I believe

Dom Harvey

Contributor
I'll write up more at some point but here's a longer look at Kami/Rav:

Kamigawa Block was already one of the most interesting and varied formats in a long time, and the great mana and gold cards that Ravnica brought spiced it up even more. After Ravnica's release all of its guilds were represented at the highest levels of play: among the baseline decks were WR Aggro, BG Aggro or Midrange (based around Dredge to some degree), WG Glare, and Ub Jushi Blue (one of the initial 'draw-go for the early-/mid-game, then tap out for threats' decks - in this case, Meloku/Keiga). The Ravnica shocklands + Karoos along with painlands meant you could easily play 3 colours in certain combinations, and people made the most of it. The Gifts decks that dominated early Kamigawa block became retooled with better mana and lots of new toys; the card Gifts Ungiven ended up in shells ranging from draw-go control to Greater Good combo to Wildfire-Loam. One of the coolest, if overrated, decks was Fungus Fire, a WRG Control deck with Sunforger + Vitu-Ghazi providing inevitability even against control and a ton of removal to keep up with aggro. Here's a good summary of the format going into Worlds.

Worlds itself shook up the format a fair amount. The Japanese Ghazi-Glare deck with two different transformative SB plans - Greater Good + Yosei, and Congregation at Dawn into hate/Hierarchs, which often came together in the same post-SB configuration to let you chain Yoseis - dominated the tournament, but there with some combo innovations too with Frank Karsten's Greater Gifts deck and Akira Asahara (probably the most well-known wacky deckbuilder from the 2000s) playing Enduring Ideal.

Guildpact arrived for the first full Standard Pro Tour in forever and had a massive impact. Stomping Ground by itself gave Kird Ape and friends a point of entry into the format, and Izzet and Orzhov both had a wide range of decks under their banner. Wafo-Tapa surprised nobody by playing UR Control, the South African Tron deck from Worlds gained a viable manabase and Izzet Signet and become great, and two different obnoxious griefer decks - UR Magnivore, aiming to Boomerang/Eye of Nowhere/Stone Rain your lands, Time Walk with Remand, refill with Tidings/Compulsive Research, and close the game with Wildfire and/or giant Magnivores, and Owling Mine, which used those bounce effects along with Exhaustion to stall while breaking the symmetry on Howling Mine/Kami of the Crescent Moon with Sudden Impact/Ebony Owl Netsuke. Meanwhile, with glacially slow BW Control off in its own corner, most worshippers at the Godless Shrine played BW Aggro which itself was heavily customizable - you saw the basic Hand in Hand deck mutate into Ghost Dad, which used the bevy of Spirits already in the deck along with blowout machine Shining Shoal to turn Tallowisp into an engine, and Ghost Husk, an Aristocrats forerunner based around Nantuko Husk + Promise of Bunrei (the sac effects being notably great in the Umezawa's Jitte fights that happened in every aggro mirror) . The namesake Ghost has really awkward mana requirements for Cube but was fantastic in this format.

Along with introducing their own set of two-colour decks based on their guilds, each set in Ravnica block gradually opened up design space for three-colour decks. This created a really interesting effect over time - though it was frustrating for Rakdos fans that they had to wait an extra 6-8 months to play their favourite deck, you had a guaranteed change in the format in parallel with more speculative changes. Guildpact was no exception - Naya Zoo was the most popular deck at the PT but Abzan Control was also a hit. A personal favourite to come out of that tournament was the UWR Firemane deck, which had plentiful lifegain and removal against aggro and Firemane inevitability to lock out control plus Zur's Weirding to steal games. Also in the Top 8 without a single dual land, by necessity, was Heartbeat Combo which may have been the best deck the whole time (and which also could transform into a ramp-into-Legends deck with tutorable sweepers/Jitte via Muddle the Mixture).

Around this time came the return of a beloved 'sub-format': Team Unified Constructed PTQs/GPs. The rules were different - nowadays you can only play a card in one deck, back then your combined decks had to be a legal deck - and they forced players to explore the boundaries of the format. You can have a Steam Vents deck, a Godless Shrine deck, and something else - but if every team does that, some Steam Vents decks are better than others in the 'mirror', ditto for Godless Shrine decks, so do you pick your third deck with that in mind or do you sidestep that problem entirely? Heartbeat didn't demand any shocklands but did need Remand, which was a problem for UR fans, and so on. Decks that had died down, such as GW, reappeared to attack from a new angle.

Dissension shook the format up again ahead of Regionals. UW saw the same split as BW and UR had, with aggressive decks on one hand (WW with a light blue splash or WU fliers headlined by Pride of the Clouds) and classic UW Control (our Nationals was won by UW splashing Vitu-Ghazi and Loxodon Hierarch). UG Aggro-Control existed back around Worlds but now got a shot in the arm. Rakdos fans finally got what they wanted as BR Aggro quickly became a deck to beat. Three-colour decks continued to flourish: UWR now got the missing dual lands and some extra tools, the Glare decks poppued up again with new Chord of Calling targets or a Supply // Demand toolbox (and even Dovescape!). Tron decks and the remaining few non-blue control players splashed for Simic Sky Swallower. With great mana and tempting rewards for pursuing any colour combination, you could basically do what you wanted.

Two decks rose to prominence in that era. Sea Stompy, a URG aggro-control deck, married the fast pressure of the old RG Aggro decks with the disruption and tricky creatures offered by UG and Thoughts of Ruin as a pseudo-Armageddon (or, if you were more discriminatory, this list with 4 MD Stone Rain and 4 MD (!) Cryoclasm) . Solar Flare grafted a reanimation subtheme onto an Esper midrange deck but the real innovation was the Signets + bouncelands + 3-drop (Compulsive Research/Court Hussar here) shell that defined midrange/control in Ravnica Block Constructed and later Ravnica-Time Spiral Standard. Somewhere in here Snakes (?!) started running over MTGO though they never made it to the paper plane.

That wasn't the end of the story. Nobody was quite sure why Coldsnap existed but it did, and it was billed as the third set of the Ice Age block - and it seemed to reflect some of that mid-90s design philosophy. Counterbalance + Sensei's Divining Top was unleashed on Magic for the first time as a Standard deck, winning Japanese Nationals. Mishra's Bauble let a Ninjas deck with Erayo, Soratami Ascendant burst onto the scene. In a perfect bookend, future GOAT Paulo Vitor Damo da Rosa won his Nationals with a revived Enduring Ideal deck by Akira Asahara featuring Counterbalance-Top and a snow engine featuring Scrying Sheets, which he called the best deck he ever played years ago.

...also there was Battle of Wits

This isn't just pure nostalgia, as the format did have downsides: there are good reasons WotC don't let you bounce lands at 2 mana or blow them up at 3 mana any more. Creature mirrors often came down to who drew more Jittes, and Counterbalance-Top was as obnoxious as in every other format it was part of for its short stay. That said, there are few formats I could write in as much detail about or that even offer that level of detail at all.

I don't have anything to add except for a thank you for such a good breakdown of those wonderful Kamigawa-Ravnica years. The format had its issues, yes, and certainly some of its particularities are impossible to emulate nowadays: Japan's innovation that sweeped Worlds in 2005 seems to be impossible in a 2018 internet.

But it was such a deep deep format, with so many strange and unexpected interactions, synergies across different sets, so much so that it's still a pleasure to go back and watch that top 8 in Honolulu (or the above mentioned Worlds. Not without a little bit of national pride since, among those two top 8s, there are three portuguese players who would go on to achieve much more).

So that's it, nothing more to add other than a thank you for bringing it up. Maybe a certain sadness to see it forgotten among younger players or misremembered by older ones. It doesn't help that Kamigawa has such a bad reputation, I suppose.

(Also, wasn't there a Martyr of Sands/Proclamation of Rebirth deck at some point as well? With the tron lands, if I remember correctly?)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
It's possible I'm wrong about the tournament being worlds, this is half remembered bragging from a friend who ran a ub tempo deck centered around ninjas he called "the pile", as it was essentially all Commons and uncommons and none of the cards looked powerful at all. He played 3 copies of ok8ba gang shinobi main deck for crying out loud, and out Meta was dominated by Naya zoo :p

The bug deck with white sideboard I mention we discovered and called it "the money pile", IE what my friend would be winning FNM with if he had a thousand dollars to throw around.

When coldsnap cam out I played a UGr control deck leaning hard on sensei's divining top and scrying sheets, but rather than play combo cards and gifts ungiven, or counterbalance, I leaned hard into countermagic (some 22 counterspells in the main deck) and killed with the impossibility huge rimefeather owl instead, which given the pace of play usually killed in a swing or two.

The red was for skred, and nothing else.

Hardly the most tuned creation, but I'd never really had a deck I could take down a tournament with (other than affinity, not even I could fuck that up) so I was proud of the thing.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
(Also, wasn't there a Martyr of Sands/Proclamation of Rebirth deck at some point as well? With the tron lands, if I remember correctly?)

Here you go sir! Gabriel Nassif got to the semifinals of Worlds 2006 with this deck, and I didn't even mention it! There's sooooo many cool decks from Ravnica / Coldsnap / Time Spiral standard o_O It plays Chronosavant for crying out loud! How is that janky card Standard playable, let alone good enough to get to the semis of Worlds!!!!!? That format was pretty glorious :D

Re: Champions / Ravnica: I have very fond memories of countering a Myojin of Cleansing Fire with Overwhelming Intellect at a local FNM ;)

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Yeah there was, but that wasn't until the rav-tsp era.

My favorite deck of the era was UW triscuit tron, which took second at 2006 worlds, and no one remembers. The deck was really fun to play, but unfortunatly was obsolete a week after the event.

The main problems throughout that era were the griefer (prison) decks (as well as griefer mechanics scattered everywhere), the level of complexity (gifts/tsp in general), and jitte/top when they were legal.

The best part of that era was that it offered a huge amount of terrority to explore in the meta, so it never felt stale during the course of each set. Keep in mind though that this was 2005-2006, so formats were a bit slower to solve.

The card design was all over the place, but at its best i.m.o was when cards were baseline reasonable, but required or encouraged some sort of synergy. This was at the same time they hit the nail on the head with some of their ETB designs (but didn't oversaturate), finally upped the creature power back to where we weren't going to be afraid of juzum djinn creature rates anymore, and finally brought back fixed versions of the ABU duals (shocks). There were also tons of these sort of odd narrow cards could open up the metagame (and which translate over poorly into cube).

To me, it felt like WOTC had lost their mind (in a good way), and were finally given us access again to the forbidden tech that had made magic so much fun in the mid 90s, but most players had been quickly priced out of.

Yeah I knew I remembered it from some top 8 so I was wondering whether that was the case. And the format did have its issues and, if we look at it as a form of inspiration or guideline for where the game should go, a huge untranslatability problem that results from a decade (uf...) having passed in the meantime. Maybe it would be solved just as fast now? I have no idea.

But you are right Grillo: if there's anything from that time that I would take as a direct lesson or guideline for today's Magic it would be the audacity to experiment, to provide variety and complexity, to design something that appears to be fun and interesting now. That's the feeling from WotC that I think I miss the most, or maybe it's just nostalgia, but I can't help but feel like modern designs lend themselves very well into being quickly (almost automatically) into two piles: competitive and unplayable. You see a card and you know whether it will be a future top 8 or not. Back then there were these two types of cards, of course, but it seems like you could ask more questions about those two piles and the only thing stopping one card from jumping from one to the other was an undiscovered deck or interaction.

I don't consider myself educated enough to know whether this is an accurate perception or simple nostalgia. Would this design philosophy succumb under the stress of modern metagame analysis? Again: I have no idea...

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
A mix of both I think ;) I remember getting Walking Ballista as a throw for my cube last year because nobody had an inkling it was going to be worth something. It does happen less often because the floor is higher, and the consensus best decks are discovered much, much faster. I think MtGO is the biggest cause of formats being solved so quickly nowadays, as there are just an ungodly amount of tournaments being played relative to the early 2000's. There's so much data that good decks are identified with much more ease, and why doubt a winning decklist? Netdecking is much less looked down upon as well. I remember it being a dirty word back then, if you wanted to be recognized as a good player you had to bring your own brew, or at least be part of team that had it's own succesful brewer. Nowadays netdecking is the norm, and because of the relative anonimity of MtGO, most tier 1 decks' creators aren't even known. We've had diverse metagames in the new age though, so the current blandness of Standard is mostly due to a narrow format, I feel. Which, in turn, is probably a result of WotC pushing a few linear mechanics with less open ended designs that are actually good enough to form the core of a tier 1 or tier 2 deck.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Jesse mason has suggested that the one deck Meta game of caw blade may have been caused by the generous prize support of the starcitygames tour at the time, giving a lot of pros good incentive to refine a deck for rapid fire high payout tournaments, and it might be possible that any format could become stale when subjected to the same optimization

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Yeah, the goal with standard formats is to have them not grow stale before the end of the standard season, and thats subject to forces outside of pure design. And there were issues with specific decks being too good. I remember the dralnu deck basically taking over the format to the point people were complaining about it, until extirpate was printed in planar chaos.

I feel like the RAV era existed at a particular point in time where a lot of things converged together to make a set that felt amazing. They figured out creature design in a way that was exciting and refreshing to you if you were playing at the time, but spells and creatures felt pretty evenly balanced. Many of the standout cards of the period were classic designs that players had been denied for decades, but were now back in more balanced forms, and it felt great to play those cards. Right off the bat, the set felt like meeting old friends you hadn't seen in decades, but that had grown and changed in interesting ways. That feeling is really hard to translate, and probably impossible to replicate.

Before I built the PP 2.0 cube, I had a draft I did that was ravinca inspired, where I went to run a lot of the RGD-TSP cards, and it was quite bad. The core card pool was surprisingly narrow, there were the usual problems with non-blue, non-aggressive guild pairs, being effectively tier 2 or tier 3 decks (or not existing), and much of the rest of the card pool fit together poorly for a variety of reasons. It just didnt work well in the context of cube. Obviously, those mechanical issues can all be overcome, but its worth noting their existance. My experience going back to those cards, was a sense that the set was phonomenal, if flawed, and my job was to discover the best parts of it, and bring those elements to the fore.

I feel that the fungas fires deck from that article is a good example of that. Recognizing that R/W should support slow strategies as well as fast strategies, and giving them tools to enable that, is very important. We might not want to run top as a consistancy maker, or sunforger as a card advantage engine, but there should be something, and that something should be competitive.

Another lesson from RGD is that its ok for cards to feel distinct, and make a reasonable sacrifice in overall power level, in order to gain slightly narrow utility that pushes towards a more distinct strategy. You see that with the fungas fire deck again, the cards are outwardly good, but there is enough jaggedness to them, where it motivates you to explore how they interact with other similarly good, but also jagged pieces. And the format, by and large, rewarded you for doing so with interesting and unorthdox strategies.

A big part of the problem they have now with magic, I suspect, is that the sets are staying legal for too long. People solve the meta a week or two weeks after release, and than are bored by it. Than a much longer period has to pass before the new set is released to shake things up.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
A big part of the problem they have now with magic, I suspect, is that the sets are staying legal for too long. People solve the meta a week or two weeks after release, and than are bored by it. Than a much longer period has to pass before the new set is released to shake things up.

Wizards came to the same conclusion, but boy did they infuriate a lot of people when they tried to accelerate set's rotation speed a while back.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Yeah, and it looks like the approach they've settled on now is to ban cards when dominent decks start to present. Really tricky problem, and one I hope they find a solution for.

All of this can be turned around very quickly though. RGD itself came off the back of one of the worst (worst?) eras of magic history.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Was that really why they did that? Really interesting. I always thought their actual policy rational for the change was that it would be easier for their design time to focus on doing two sets well, rather than three, and that the third small sets had historically suffered qualitatively.

With a set now legal for 2 years, rather than 18 months, that to me, seems like it would have the opposite effect. If you're tired of any individual card from kaladesh defining the meta (for example), you get to wait 6 months longer than you used to for it to rotate out.

Rant time! The bigger problem with Standard is that they've completely fucked the necessary checks and balances to ensure a stable environment. Too much pushing of single face-cards for a set, or trying to push a flashy mechanic to ensure it sees play, without employing anything to keep them grounded. You don't need straight up hosers ala Back To Nature during the later portions of THS Standard, but you do need more efficient catch-alls if you're going to tie up generic value effects on soooo many efficient lower cost bodies. The love of creature centric combat and having spell abilities pushed on them has reached a terrible tipping point, especially with how they've toned back removal and meaningful interaction in a big way. There have been some fun designs for us to include and use within our cubes over the past 2 years, but for the most part it has been a shitshow for Standard.

It's like there's been no foresight to Constructed impact with their designs the last two years, like do they really not have anyone able to scan over their (limited) pool of Standard playable cards to double-check that there isn't anything too over the top? You have people working 40+ hours a week and couldn't get together a small group to review your Standard card pool of which 80% of the cards are destined to be limited chaff? Hey, let's make this cheaty artifact that uses a resource that an opponent CANNOT meaningfully interact with CAST the creature instead of just putting it into play! Can't see how this could go wrong with two giant Eldrazi with meaningful cast triggers having been printed in the previous two blocks. Oh, new kind of pseudo artifact creatures that can dodge sorcery speed removal? Let's heap this loot trigger (on attack, not even combat damage!) onto it, give it crew 1 so that it's easier to man, and make it a 3/3 to boot. Nevermind that that would be FAR ahead of the curve on an actual creature body. Let's not forget CoCo being busted wide open with hyper efficient 3 cmc creatures two years ago that they've since admitted should have been a ban.

They've since implemented some new team to vet these designs prior to deployment, but I'm not too confident that it will work. There need to be fundamental changes to what WoTC has been doing the last few years in R&D and I don't think employing a final QA team is enough. I just really fucking hate how WoTC has gone about "fixing" their flawed environments the last year. You can't just take a banhammer and artificially "fix" your issues without trying to address the fundamental flaws behind it.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Beh, can’t play things safe. Can’t be afraid of failure. Sometimes you break things, and have to learn from the mistakes, which is all that really matters.

The last 3 years of cube design have made me very humble about game design. The cube community as a whole is very bad at it, has to be kicked and dragged into it— and all we’re doing is organizing indexes.

It took me over three years to make my format, through numerious failures. They have to create an entire new original world twice every year, that works in multiple formats, and people will pay top dollar for against all of the other entertainment out there. I can’t immagine the pressure, scale, or scope of the task.

Hindsight is 20/20, and none of us could just stroll in there and have the answers to questions both known and unknown. I could see myself making some of the same bad calls, or worse, and if we’re honest any of us could. If you’re pushing boundries its inevitable.

But they haven't learnt from mistakes, that's my issue here. You can't make the same mistakes for nearly 3 years of design and development when it is your literal job day in and day out. I don't think it's correct to judge them on the same scale as you would amateur game designers doing so as a hobby. WoTC hasn't put out a compelling limited format in quite some time, their Standard environments have been awful for literal years, and they've had to ban more cards in the last two years than in previous fifteen. They don't even test for Modern when putting cards through the development ringer (as they've mentioned numerous times in the past); most of their focus is on Limited and Standard. So with how badly both of those formats have fared in the last 18+ months, what exactly are they doing?

I'm not saying that they should have been perfect throughout, but they should be questioned for putting out a lackluster product for an extended period of time.

I was about to jump in to say exactly that. For all that the community suggests (and some suggestions do seem insightful or wise) it must be very hard to just depart from a blank piece of paper instead of a finished product that you just get to criticise. And they've managed to keep me interested for 12 years now...

There are some design guidelines that you can choose to follow or not. Make more efficient burn, ramp, etc, etc. But we've been celebrating the three sets that, arguably, became great by breaking rules or doing the unexpected: dual lands, for the first time in more than a decade, a mini set in the spirit of the early days of the game, a nostalgia set that relies heavily on a, nowadays, unthinkable level of rules complexity. I mean, we can't just ask them to follow a determinate number of design guidelines while celebrating the sets that break them and tried new things as the "best standard environment of all time". We would be complaining about a strict set of arbitrary rules in order to replace it with a new, just as strict and arbitrary, one.

So try new things, admit when you fail, learn from mistakes and all of that. But the day MtG design becomes safe and predictable is the day it'll bore me and then I'll have many other things to do.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Its also worth remembering that there is no test server or beta release that they can do with these sets (unlike say a computer game), where the game structure can be tested by a thousands of different people for flaws in its integrity. With a small group of testers, you're prone to run into bad data, since your small meta may not reflect what people end up doing in broader reality. And if you increase the number of testers, you have to generate that payroll from somewhere.

In an age where complete meta data is discovered after a two week period by thousands of people jamming on MTGO, I can understand how 30 people didn't figure out that something as subtle as attune with aether would be too good in their 30 person testing group. I can even understand how marvel or coco could be printed, and think the majority of people here would not have identified them as potential issue cards prior to release into the wild, even if they were on the design team.

Of course, there is a time limit for how long you have to figure things out. You can't fail forever, but its going to happen, and this particular problem seems much more complicated than I think a lot of people are giving it credit for.