General Old Standard Formats

Well, they did attempt the 2 set block paradigm, which was also an attempt to fix that problem (sets last for less time, and rotations are more common)
Speaking of two-set blocks, I've actually been a fan of the current structure. The old model of a core set, followed by a three-set block, has its pros: if you land on a great block idea, you get to really develop its themes over multiple sets. But it is very prone to boredom upon the last set.

On the other hand, one set blocks would barely touch upon the themes and mechanics the world has to offer. Imagine if Ravnica was only given one set, or Time Spiral. What a waste!

The current two-set blocks seem like a nice middle ground. Plus, with two blocks per year, there is no room for core sets (yay!). But the two-set structure can still suffer from blocks that wanted a third set, or blocks that only needed one.

Perhaps these issues could be solved by frequent returns to recent planes. For example, you could have a set based on a new plane, then the next set be a smaller standalone, and following that a return to the first plane. For example, instead of:

AKH (large set) -> HOD (small set) -> XLN (large set)

You could break up the Amonkhet sets with a smaller Ixalan set, like so:

AKH (large set) -> XLN (small set) -> HOD (large set)

This would be a neat way to give deeper blocks like Amonkhet the cards/sets they deserve, without boring players with multiple sets of a block that has less to offer (such as Ixalan, IMO).

Hopefully Wizards will eventually land on a similar model after experimenting with single set blocks. Overall, I feel that block design needs to be a lot more flexible and dynamic.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
The Limited point goes strongly against the consensus - Ixalan was a massive dud but Amonkhet + Hour is regarded as one of the GOAT formats, as was Shadows + Eldritch Moon (and I'm partial to BFZ + OGW myself). It's worth noting though that all of these were much worse in their single set formats.

The Limited point goes strongly against the consensus - Ixalan was a massive dud but Amonkhet + Hour is regarded as one of the GOAT formats, as was Shadows + Eldritch Moon (and I'm partial to BFZ + OGW myself). It's worth noting though that all of these were much worse in their single set formats.

That's true, I hadn't really considered how drafting would work. Maybe you could make the last set in this scenario (HOD) a small-medium sized set and still draft HOD-HOD-AKH, just break up the triple AKH and Amonkhet + Hour formats with a standalone medium-sized set. Idk.

Is there any reason the two-set draft formats were so much better? Is it just the increased card variation or do small sets build upon the original in crucial ways?

That's true, I hadn't really considered how drafting would work. Maybe you could make the last set in this scenario (HOD) a small-medium sized set and still draft HOD-HOD-AKH, just break up the triple AKH and Amonkhet + Hour formats with a standalone medium-sized set. Idk.

Is there any reason the two-set draft formats were so much better? Is it just the increased card variation or do small sets build upon the original in crucial ways?

I think that it just depends on the sets in question. I know when you added Hour into Ixalan, the format got to the point where you could durdle and play 3+ color decks (which people seem to like a lot) rather than just jam aggro dudes. I know that Ravnica-Guildpact-Dissension was a super unique thing that wouldn't be possible with the small sets. On the other hand I think that most people felt like Triple Innistrad was made worse Dark Ascension was added into the mix because it diluted the themes and changed the texture of the draft and I think the same think happened with Triple Khans of Tarkir and Fate Reforged.

I think that has more to do with FRF just being a bad set in general. They did take a risk with that set and tried something interesting with it, but the experiment didn't pan out. The set had to serve too many masters. Triple Khans was way better, and I think Dragons would have been a better set if it hadn't had to be designed around Fate Reforged.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
It's good to know there are formats that got better when you added a small set, that's been a point of contention among my friends for a while now