Onderzeeboot's Khans of Alara WUBGR Cube

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
They all seem really cool and well thought out. Not too sure on power level as it is too hard to tell without playing the cube.

The only critiques I have are is that Ensnaring Orb seems a little boring to carry the shard theme. Maybe it could be a mini Suffocating Blast or something?
The other is that Stalwart Hunter doesn't really feel white. I feel it needs to have some sort of restriction, like the creature needs to have large power/toughness or be attacking/blocking. These obviously make the card worse but nothing that a couple of cost tweaks or a toughness increase can't fix.

Personally love Tombspawn Slayer, card looks exactly like something I would love to play (I'm a big fan of Galepowder Mage). It would drag me into the Jeskai shard easily.

repost from the other thread:

tombspawn slayer - i don't like this, feels too much like the typical custom multicolor card cliche of "2 different completely unrelated things that these colors do stapled onto each other". unwieldy

chains of command - lose the S. seems fine otherwise, possible memory issues?

witch doctor - oh i had a similar design to this still forming for a set with cycling themes, the trigger was "Whenever a player draws a card, ~ deals 1 damage to each opponent.". the second ability might be being too cute though

ensaring orb - don't put a memory test on a removal spell please. also, enchantments aren't / shouldn't be orbs, despite dispersing orb existing.

necrophidian - cool card, i think i've designed this same card before, it's obvious but that also means it fits well

skaab violator - does ruinator even work? idk how i feel here

gravetiller - good design. it's "too strong" in a positive flashy way, keep an eye on the power level.

ghostbind - memory issues with a non-flashy card? no thanks

stalwart hunter - idk

implacable assault - i'm not sure that being countered is really the issue w playing token generators, i would find another upside. also for ease of use i would try to match the creature type of the tokens to other cards you have? i can't think of anything relevant that makes 1/1 white warriors

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
tombspawn slayer - i don't like this, feels too much like the typical custom multicolor card cliche of "2 different completely unrelated things that these colors do stapled onto each other". unwieldy

chains of command - lose the S. seems fine otherwise, possible memory issues?

witch doctor - oh i had a similar design to this still forming for a set with cycling themes, the trigger was "Whenever a player draws a card, ~ deals 1 damage to each opponent.". the second ability might be being too cute though

ensaring orb - don't put a memory test on a removal spell please. also, enchantments aren't / shouldn't be orbs, despite dispersing orb existing.

necrophidian - cool card, i think i've designed this same card before, it's obvious but that also means it fits well

skaab violator - does ruinator even work? idk how i feel here

gravetiller - good design. it's "too strong" in a positive flashy way, keep an eye on the power level.

ghostbind - memory issues with a non-flashy card? no thanks

stalwart hunter - idk

implacable assault - i'm not sure that being countered is really the issue w playing token generators, i would find another upside. also for ease of use i would try to match the creature type of the tokens to other cards you have? i can't think of anything relevant that makes 1/1 white warriors
I don't know what to think of your critique on Tombspawn Slayer. Stapling together abilities is a major technique to build gold cards, you even like Necrophidian a few cards down, which uses that very same schtick. When abilities of different colors come together in a multicolor card, it can create something bigger than the parts. A famous example would be Recoil. Anyway, I disagree completely on the unrelatedness and unwieldiness of the 2 different abilities on this card. Yes, it's essentially a Galepowder Mage with haste, which might not be the most original "tweak", but besides doing the usual Galepowder tricks, haste means it can also act as a pseudo-Goblin Heelcutter, clearing out a blocker in a surprise attack, which is something Galepowder Mage could never do on its own.

Also, but unrelated to your feedback, it's hard enough to do hybrid cards right (i.e. without overstepping the color wheel boundaries), and this doesn't feel out of place in either {R/W} or {U/R}. I'm always happy when a hybrid card feels appropriately hybrid.

Chains of Command is actually the pun, there's multiple chains in the art as well. :) Also, I see no memory problem. Of course you have to remember that, but effects like these are pretty common, see Frost Titan, Dungeon Geists, Sleep, etc.

Witch Doctor is meant to complement a control strategy, which loves the looter effect. Making it "target player" to go with the Underworld Dreams effect is a nice little tweak that is indeed nothing more than cute, but occasionally will be useful.

Ensnaring Orb... Yeah. It's just a Numbing Dose, but I see what you mean. Didn't know what else to call it. Anyway, I'm fine with swapping this out for something better. I'll think about it.

Necrophidian... Yeah, it's nice when just stapling together two unrelated abilities creates a nice little card :D ;) :p

I actually tested Skaab Violator before I switched to WRUBG, and it plays really well in Sultai. It's easy enough to dump stuff in your graveyard, and a 6/5 trample puts some serious pressure on your opponent. I was pleasantly surprised!

I had Gravetiller at 1/1, but that would mean it's always wrong to play this on turn 2. I want people to be able to play this on turn 2 as well. So, I deliberately pushed the card. Definitely will check if it doesn't become to annoying.

Ghostbind creates a minor memory issue yeah, but there's multiple cards that create precedent. Aquitect's Will, Necromantic Selection, Rise from the Grave. In this case I run a constellation theme in Naya colors, which means the rider is relevant for the {G/W} deck, and reanimation spells in general are just good in {B/G}. Is it really "not splashy" though? There really aren't too many ways to Zombify creatures, artifacts, enchantments, and planeswalkers, let alone at four mana! Maybe I should use a counter though, much like Arbiter of the Ideal does.

Yeah, a resounding meh is not the reaction I want, I admit Stalwart Hunter is rather meh, apart from the flavor text. I like the flavor text ;)

As for Implacable Assault, making three tokens at instant speed at only three mana is very powerful. I don't think it needs a lot of upside, and the "can't be countered" clause is both a good hybrid fit, and useful against control decks. It's an instant, which is good with prowess and Young Pyromancer in Jeskai colors, and it makes warriors because I am planning to support that tribe in Abzan colors (in lieu of humans). There's a decent amount of warrior tribal support cards that are simply good (or at least passable) on their own, which is exactly what I want from a tribe. Also:

They all seem really cool and well thought out. Not too sure on power level as it is too hard to tell without playing the cube.

The only critiques I have are is that Ensnaring Orb seems a little boring to carry the shard theme. Maybe it could be a mini Suffocating Blast or something?
The other is that Stalwart Hunter doesn't really feel white. I feel it needs to have some sort of restriction, like the creature needs to have large power/toughness or be attacking/blocking. These obviously make the card worse but nothing that a couple of cost tweaks or a toughness increase can't fix.

Personally love Tombspawn Slayer, card looks exactly like something I would love to play (I'm a big fan of Galepowder Mage). It would drag me into the Jeskai shard easily.
Lol, diametrically opposed views on Tombspawn Slayer, check. :)

Ensnaring Orb out. I'll try some replacements. Stalwart Hunter receives another meh, so that needs to be better as well. I was just thinking that the Hunter is terrible for NWO board states as well, but oh well? I could make it activate only any time you could cast a sorcery I guess? Maybe that's not even a bad idea. It makes the board state less complex, and it means there are more choices involved on when to activate the ability.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Ok, fight time. I got two alternatives for Ensnaring Orb:

Final%20Word.png
Rimetusk%20Drake.png

Which one is more fun? Would you want to play either in a cube draft? Are these better than Ensnaring Trap?

Stalwart%20Hunter_1.png

Is this a better and more interesting version of Stalwart Hunter? I know it's just two abilities stapled together, but vigilance means he can heroically sacrifice himself after blocks to finish of a 3+drop :)

Also needed a fifth Command, since Gruul is no longer supported (neither is Azorius, but Dromoka's Command will do fine). Meet Jhoira's Command!

Jhoiras%20Command.png

Edit: Damnit. I just thought of this... But I already have two nice cards in those slots. Should I just add a third?

Rime%20Runner.png

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Final Word: I know I suggested something like this, but 4-mana counterspells just seem bad in cube (Cryptic Command notwithstanding) I feel it needs to cost 3 to be spicy enough to play (I mean if it cost 3 it might be a cubable Undermine).

Rimetusk Drake: Seems a little meh. I'd be more interested if it was a Skywinder drake staples with Thunderbreak Regent. A 2/2 gets outclassed so easily (even in the air) and the clock isn't fast enough that you would never really need to remove it.

Stalwart Hunter v2.0: This definitely looks more interesting. The older one was better power level wise, but this feels white enough and seems interesting enough that I would probably pick it.

Jhoira's Command: Coin flip? Really? Would anyone use that ability in the cube? If you want to use luck to help win, you use the third ability. Seems cool flavour-wise but from a practical standpoint where your custom cards are meant to be played and not sell a set it just doesn't suit. All other modes seem sweet though. Scry 4 is so deep. Soooooooo deep. Just like Dromoka's Command is Instant speed Hunt the Weak ft. other modes, this is Instant speed Foresee ft. other modes, which isn't a bad thing.

Rime Runner: Doesn't seem like it would be r/u. You gotta be white if you wanna tax shit yo. Prefer the other 2 jeskai cards. Cool design though.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
FEEDBACK!

Right, so I'm still looking for Grixis hybrid additions. I like your suggestions, but I don't think Final Word is balanced as is at three mana, so maybe limit the targets? I also have a few new ideas. I put up a run-off in the Print this Wizards! (So I can put it in my cube) thread.

As for the coin flip; I'm not expecting people to use that option very often, but together with the Commune with Lava effect, it can lead to some serious card advantage. Plus, some people just love coin flipping! As long as the other three modes are reason enough to pick this up if you're {U/R}, I'm fine with throwing them a bone! :)

Taxing shit is mostly white, but there are a few cards in blue that do this (Squeeze, Icefall Regent, Citadel Siege). Blue gets to do the reverse (Arcane Melee, Battlefield Thaumaturge) as well sometimes, so they are allowed to mess with casting costs occasionally. I think it's a reasonable bleed for hybrid mana and not nearly as aggravating as, say, Augury Adept gaining life. I do think it could be a little better / more exiting. I think I'll add first strike. It's like a multicolor Thalia, that trades a point of power for prowess and not hindering your own spells. Yeah, I'ld like that.

I feel like a creature at 2cmc that nerfs your opponent's spells but not your own doesn't need even more upside. You didn't really trade the point of power, it's still there when Prowess triggers. Adding first strike will also make it that much harder to kill, it's not the kind of thing I'd feel safe about just throwing on to make it look better.

Also, I've been working on a WRUBG cube off and on for a month and I'd just like to let you know how upset I am that we're wearing the same dress to prom now.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Also, I've been working on a WRUBG cube off and on for a month and I'd just like to let you know how upset I am that we're wearing the same dress to prom now.

:D :D :D

Edit: Thanks for making me laugh there. I bought this dress though, and I want to wear it. Maybe I can sew some frills on it ;)

You might have a point on Rime Runner, though I feel you should be rewarded a bit for the multicolor part and Thalia isn't breaking any board states (though she's eminently cubable). Not being legendary on the other hand is also a boon (I like my cards to be balanced regardless of intended format).

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I've been a bit under a time constraint for the last few weeks, sinking most of my spare time into various other hobbies and responsibilities, but as I have spent what time I did have left in the last week on the new and improved Patreon-fueled part of cubetutor, and as I posted on the CBS thread, my cube is now ready to draft on CT! Yes! Customs and all!

Everyone is happily invited to come draft it at this fancy custom URL: www.cubetutor.com/khansofalara/draft

As this is an as of yet untested cube, feedback is very welcome! I intend to take this for a spin after my Origins preorder arrives, but is not too late to make some tweaks before that ;)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I've coded nearly all custom cards succesfully into a certain MtG-"unrelated" AI-capable program (awesome stuff), and I've made a few tweaks based on the play experiences.

Abzan Brave.png Nechebes Command.png Pillars of Lost Thoughts.png Sanguine Acolyte.png Tomb Raiding.png Javelineers Cache.png

Abzan Brave already had flash, but it was never an enticing pick. There wasn't a lot of temp protection in my cube, and it really was a natural fit on the flash body. The reanimation ties nicely into {B/G} territory, what with all the graveyard filling.
Nechebe's Command had a Recoup option, but that never was what I wanted in the decks it wound up in. {R/W} was usually much too aggressive to capitalize on the flashback, it wanted a way to push damage through. So, I switched it out for the +1/+0 and haste option and changed the order of abilities a bit so that the token benefits from the boost. Suddenly Nechebe's Command is something {R/W} doesn't mind running out on turn 2 as a body, and it plays much better this way.
Pillars of Lost Thoughts had the exile as part of the activation cost, which was pretty lame if there weren't any targets. A simple switch.
Sanguine Acolyte had a really wonky and largely useless activated ability (something like {2}{U}, sac: reveal top library, if it's a creature card put it onto the battlefield). The new ability is less disconnected with the rest of the card and gives you a reason to keep the 1/1 around, because you get to draw an extra card off the card you just exploited. Sweet.
Tomb Raiding was too cheap at {X}{G}{U}{B}! Card is a house though, awesome flavor as well :D
Javelineer's Cache replaces the Stalwart Hunter and has been fun to ping around with. It looks slow, but Arc Lightning Helix is pretty rad in practice!

I cut a rather large amount of custom cards to make the experience less taxing, but the cards that are still in really feel like they contribute the right vibe that I envisioned for this cube. Can't wait to try this out in real life once I get around to proxying up the whole thing and get some time off of being the father of a newborn ;)

Edit: Wait, I need to update my signature!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Massive update introducing Battle for Zendikar card, and making a few changes. Most notably, I cut all 2-mana rocks (except the pair of Wayfarer's Baubles), and put in big artifact mana: 2 Hedron Archive and 1 Gilded Lotus, together with three seven-drops (Mage-Ring Responder, Myr Battlesphere and Aether Searcher). I will also add Sanctum of Ugin to the ULD, hope someone will have a field day with it :)

Edit: Oh, and the doubling up on Thrummingbird (which has once again increased in value due to the added awaken spells) and Porcelain Legionnaire, the perfect agressive artifact 2-drop.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I finally uploaded an image for my cube!

KoA_Pentagon.png

Isn't that the sweetest color wheel?!

I think I'm pretty much done with my build by the way (until the next set rolls along of course), so feel free to take this thing for a ride! Feedback is welcome, as always :)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I took some time last month to finally print out all customs! Time constraints forced me to simply use print-outs instead of my time-consuming usual way to make proxies, but the result was surprisingly (to me) satisfying and good-looking! The draft report can be read over on cubetutor.

More importantly, I try to shore up some weaknesses in my cube, namely red's lack of interaction with the graveyard/recurring creatures, and the enchantment theme which is just short on a few playables. I've got another draft scheduled for the 29th, so if anyone wants to give this a whirl for some final input it would be much appreciated!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
The Oath updat is live! Lots of new cards and a revamped mana base. I cut the Utility Land Draft to speed up the draft portion, and introduced colorless mana to my three-color themed cube... Drafting a three-color card (hybrids not included) will now earns you a corresponding (custom) tri-land, and I run Crumbling Vestige in the basic land pile. I had to reset the picks, so some draft would be appreciated. I'll draft your cube in return ;)

The Oath updat is live! Lots of new cards and a revamped mana base. I cut the Utility Land Draft to speed up the draft portion, and introduced colorless mana to my three-color themed cube... Drafting a three-color card (hybrids not included) will now earns you a corresponding (custom) tri-land, and I run Crumbling Vestige in the basic land pile. I had to reset the picks, so some draft would be appreciated. I'll draft your cube in return ;)

Drafted a couple of times. Fun cube to draft, if a little long the first few times as all the new cards pour in. GW was really loving me today:

I'm sigh - GW tokens/prowess from CubeTutor.com

With:
savannah = deepwood clearing
D'Avenant Healer = Javelineer's Cache?
Auramancer = recurring dream?
Edge of autumn = Invigorating overgrowth
Sakura tribe elder = Nacatl briarsage
secure the wastes = implacable assault
natural connection = peacful clearing

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Thanks for the drafts so far everyone! If I haven't drafted your cube, it's because I'm a little bit strapped for time at the moment. I'll get to that eventually, promise! :)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
This just in!

Bluff Ruins.full.jpgFiery Wisps.full.jpg

I think I fixed my need for more colorless sources and more fetches. Bluff Ruins feels like a clean and interesting riff on Arid Mesa and Temple of Triumph. It remains to be seen if Sage Owling the top two cards isn't too strong, but since you don't get to rearrange cards, it's still random what you get.

Fiery Wisps replaces the deal 2 and exile + play this turn (Fated Flames) custom I was running. Or maybe it should replace the awaken variant. Hmm... Yeah, that might be better. Anyway, fixed Arc Trail! Kidding, I was looking for a bit more suspend action to enable two spells in one turn for the Jori En, Ruin Diver deck.

Edit: After some good feedback in the Print this wizards topic, I changed the fetches to look only at the top card. Thanks psly4mne and Safra!

I've been killing some free time poking around through different cubes on here, and noticed something interesting: Sign of the Serpent. It seems like this card could easily be

Is there some sort of mechanical reason for this custom? You want to guarantee you can get the enchant to the yard? Want it to look like a Seal?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Thanks for poking around! Good question as well! The two main reasons are that this way it's a true one drop, and that it becomes a combat trick. Both make it function more like a rattlesnake card. Your opponent can definitely see it coming (unless it's instantly used as sorcery removal), which means he/she gets to try to play around the effect, baiting it maybe, which adds a little bit more play to the card.