One Pack One Pick (p1p1 thread)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
This one depends a bit on the group that is drafting. If it's an experienced group, blue is often overdrafted and green underdrafted, which leads me to pick Sylvan Library, as it's one of the coolest reasons to be green around. If it's a casual group however, green is more likely to be overdrafted, and blue might be more open, in which case I would pick Vendilion Clique, an evasive 3-power beater with a super useful ability, not only because it gets a good card out of your opponent's hand, but also because it gives you information! Also, flash works really well together with counterspells :)

Clique and Snapcaster would both be solid picks, but I think I'm swayed by the idea of taking Mentor and getting a complimentary card on the wheel. Snap, Clique, Goyf and Library will likely get drafted, leaving us either a dual land we want or our choice of Kytheon or Raise the Alarm. Too bad we can't get both.

For me, this comes down to either Monastery Mentor, or Sylvan Library. I honestly believe that Mentor is the stronger card in the decks that want it, but Sylvan Library is not only much more versatile, but also easily splash-able.

If I take Library, then I'm feeding my opponent a goyf, growth and baloths. If I continue to cut off green, then I don't think those are quite enough juice to get my opponent to go green and cut me off next pack. I'm essentially feeding him/her white.

For blue, Clique is fine but not really a FP for me. Angel seems lackluster, and snapcaster mage can very easily not be what you're looking for.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I like sower for power, goggles for fun, and angler depending on how your format shakes down.
I've had to nerf my delve spells enough times that I respect that card

I think there might be a good argument for Collected Company. It's powerful, build-around so it's good to get early, and it's the only green card in the pack.

That is a great pack. Lots of powerful cards but nothing I'd say was an auto first pick.

I'd go with Karn, I think, as he fits into any deck that can realistically cast him and has a big effect on the game.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
That pack is so sweet!

Sower of Temptation, in my experience, tends to be head and shoulders above everything else in formats that aren't packing a plethora of Lightning Bolts and Swords to Plowshares. Which is kind of a shame, cause there are so many other cards here to go deep on.

Thing about Sower is, if they deal with it, it's a 1-for-1, maybe with a slight tempo loss (answers cost less than Sower usually). But if they don't, it's a 3-for-1 in your favor. Go deep Pack 1 Pick 2 (imo).

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I'd take Karn, force 5-color control, then wish I'd thought more about it and played fewer colors. That's what I did in the last forum draft.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Thing about Sower is, if they deal with it, it's a 1-for-1, maybe with a slight tempo loss (answers cost less than Sower usually). But if they don't, it's a 3-for-1 in your favor. Go deep Pack 1 Pick 2 (imo).

Yeah, I've cubed with Sower of Temptation plenty, and am aware it's one of the single swingiest cards you can get for your money. But just like how Baneslayer Angel dominated its Standard era in 2009, they don't always have the Doom Blade, and when they don't, you often simply run away with the game. For me, it's well worth taking that risk, as even if you only get Sower to stick, say, 40% of the time, that's 40% more free wins than you'd get without it in your deck.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Thank you, really helpful response.

I was doing my usual p1p1 color balance check, and I wasn't sure how to count this pack.

Tasigur is really interesting, because, going into the cube blind, one could argue that its strategically competing with the emrakul: one being a bomby enabler, and the other being a bomby payoff card. I had assumed that people would go for the emrakul, given that choice, but than I haven't really played with the card, so I am maybe overrating it.

The tasigur pick kind of worries me, because part of your reasoning is based on it being almost a de facto blue card; and I don't really want to be communicating "try to go into blue" with that pick. I had assumed more of a draw from vend. clique, on the basis blue is generally OP in cubes, and clique is a strong card already.

Maybe I should move tasigur into the dimir section, as a sort of bizarre way to cut down on blue's share of the color pie. That seems maybe too extreme.