One Pack One Pick (p1p1 thread)

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Hanna, Ship's Navigator looks cool. It makes me want to make an instant the same way I made an instant version of Captain Sisay:
iifWFlt.jpg

I wonder if the rest of the crew do cool things too?

Here's a new one.
Your picks so far (what an indecisive drafter you are):

The pack:

Note that ALL lands are drafted separately in this cube, so don't feel too constrained by color/lack of fixing.

I feel like you could do some sweet stuff with Crucible and Jace/Bloodghast. Whirler Rogue is probably the better pick but I'm in for Crucible.

Crucible of Worlds and try to build dredge!

It looks like there's a pretty solid R/W deck floating around though, so maybe Prophetic Flamespeaker and a small splash down the line?

I'd slam dunk the Whirler Rouge, but I'm super high on that card right now (cause it's awesome!)

That being said, Seige-Gang Commander is a crazy strong red card so red might be open. Like Safra said, RW looks great here, so I might try Seige Gang and hope to wheel Flamespeaker or Lieutenant.

Whirler Rogue to get the most out of Jace and Mirror Entity. Not sure what I'd hope to wheel. Consul's Lieutenant is heavy on early white mana and I'd expect it to go after Jazal.
If I'd forgotten my picks so far maybe Siege-Gang? Any time you can cast it, that card is a good draw.

Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'ld go with Crucible of Worlds in blacksmithy's pack, for the same reasons Aston mentioned. From this pack I'ld probably pick Nighthawk, hoping to wheel Elves of Deep Shadow (because Dictate will almost definitely not wheel). Dictate certainly has the stronger effect, but it is a 5 mana do nothing, whereas Nighthawk is perfect in every archetype (save combo).

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Treetop Village and Bonesplitter are the picks for me. I'ld go with the land, because a threat that doesn't take up a spell slot is awesome.

Condescend, I think. It feels like a weak pack. The lands are fine, but seeing them in such numbers makes me think fixing will be common in the cube. Angel of Serenity is very powerful but expensive and hard to cast. Pyromancer's Goggles is sweet but quite niche and will probably go late. Izzet Charm is two colours. Most of the rest needs a very specific deck or is poor after the first few turns, and a counter that's relevant both early and late and provides a little extra value seems a good place to be. Failing that I'd be between Treetop Village and Mana Leak.

Definitely on Treetop Village, there's few cards I like more than manlands. Delver and snap Goggles are tempting, though.

Here's another pack:
4zPfrAXl.jpg

(zoomed)

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Ok, I'm really glad I acted on my hunch to move Treetop Village from the utility pile back into the main list. I thought it might've been a little too good for side draft! I personally would force Delver of Secrets and try to wheel one of the random blue cards... and be immediately punished for it.

For safra's pack, wow, that's some strong stuff. I'm torn between Blade Splicer and Lingering Souls - value!!! - and probably would lean towards the power of the latter, even though it's technically two colours, because it's pretty painless to splash one black source (or something) in an otherwise white deck.