One Pack One Pick (p1p1 thread)

I'd probably take Triskelion, because nothing else stands out as a must draft....it's largely a pack of role-players. At least with Trike, I stay open on colors, can potentially exploit reuse with debtors knell or grapple, slot into a control shell alongside mana leak, earthquake, do or die, and blast from the past, or maybe include in a ramp strategy with bop.

I'm probably more willing than most to force an aggro deck, so I wouldn't be beyond taking Blast from the Past to start stacking up burn spells. It can go into anything red, so I wouldn't even feel forced into being aggressive.

Really interesting answers, guys!
I think there are at least 9 or 10 cards, you could make an argument for as a firstpick here.
I'm surprised that noone has mentioned Earthquake, though, that's a really good sweeper, that can be okay as a fireball variant in an aggro deck.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Really interesting answers, guys!
I think there are at least 9 or 10 cards, you could make an argument for as a firstpick here.
I'm surprised that noone has mentioned Earthquake, though, that's a really good sweeper, that can be okay as a fireball variant in an aggro deck.

Everyone has their own pick orders in their head. I am one to usually pick mass removal pretty highly, especially splashable ones, but I am too much of a land man, and the sight of a Tri-land is usually a snatch first pick for me, just as it keeps me open as much as possible. I also don't pick 5+ drops early, as they usually wheel later on when people have too many already, so if it was just a normal dual land, I would probably take the Earthquake.

From ravnic's pack, I probably take either the Birds or the Sovereign. Birds will 100% slot into whichever green deck I might end up drafting, Sovereign would be with an eye towards W/x Aggro. Leaning Birds because it's good in just about every deck while Sovereign requires the appropriate shell to maximize. It's more a card I like picking near the middle of the pack after a handful of aggressive leaning dudes.

Here's an interesting one from my cube:

f08a6q.jpg

As a P1P1, I just can't say no to drafting one of my favorite cards ever in Braids, Cabal Minion. Going into a Stax heavy tokens build or using her as a top-end feature in a Recursive B/W aggressive shell is 100% my jam. Other picks I'd consider here include Jace VP, one of the dorks, orAnimate Dead looking to slide into a heavy reanimator build. It's actually been a little challenging to build up a mostly "fair" reanimator archetype, but I think I've hit the sweet spot with enough incidental support and payoff cards.

I'm biased since I read Onderzeeboots post before looking at the pack but I agree, that does seem like a very good start. With the same reasoning I think it could be possible to pick up Hero of Oxid Ridge if you knew you'd be able to draft a RDW deck.

Braids is great, but I would pass a few cards that could encourage a similar strategy. So I'd go with Jace too, and I figured out the same reasoning Onderzeebot mentiones.
I also had my eye on Hierach, Courser and Hero.

i think i'll echo the other ppl by saying JVP but it sort of depends on the environ.

animate dead is p conditional on environ. but it's sort of an absurd card but since it is more specific and works well in similar decks, it makes sense to try to wheel it off the JVP.

i think hero or birds/hierarch are worth consideration tho

Might be the pauper player in me but I like guardians of the guildpact. Depending on the removal suite it should stick pretty hard. Repeal also feels like a good pick to just see where things are going, easy to splash.

I’m torn between Wrecking Ball and Wayfinder. If your list is light on premium removal, then I’d probably take the Ball, otherwise I’d go with Wayfinder to stay open.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I’m torn between Wrecking Ball and Wayfinder. If your list is light on premium removal, then I’d probably take the Ball, otherwise I’d go with Wayfinder to stay open.

I echo your sentiments, but would like to add the bouncelands to that list. They really are just that good. Wrecking Ball also destroys bouncelands though... it's certainly an attractive option.

Entering the draft blind, I think I'd have to go with Wrecking Ball. It's efficient unconditional removal, and looks like a potentially good tempo move when used on the bounce lands. I stopped playing magic for about 8 years and missed Ravnica block altogether so I have very little familiarity with the format tbh.

Either a bounceland or Selesnya Guildmage for me. The bouncelands because they're great, Guildmage because it's basically a bomb (assuming it's of a similar power level to original Ravnica).