Sets [ORI] Magic Origins Spoilers

The few matches of Tiny Leaders I've played (Alesha and Toshi decks) have been pretty great. I don't really like EDH's focus on multiplayer games - the French (1v1) rules are decent imo - and the constrained curve gets people playing spells in the early game. No skin off my nose if people like the format but commander games here go for hours and god that's just not interesting to me.

I played a five-person FFA commander game once, I and the second guy eliminated had enough time to play four quick games of 1v1 before it finished. The dynamic just doesn't appeal to me the way other Magic paradigms might.

Playing both magmatic insight and tormenting voice makes you draw through your deck SO fast. This was my offering to my local area's pre-origins testing gauntlet:

Creatureless Origins Burn

Spells (36)
Magmatic Insight
Lightning Strike
Roast
Atarka's Command
Tormenting Voice
Searing Blood
Magma Jet
Anger of the Gods
Exquisite Firecraft
Stoke the Flames

Enchantments (3)
Outpost Siege
Molten Vortex

Lands (21)
Wooded Foothills
Temple of Abandon
10 Mountain
Forest

First version tried ravaging blaze to see how powerful spell mastery could be- the deck just doesn't reach a high enough land count to get there. Searing blood was absurd in the flip planeswalker-filled 'meta' of the gauntlet, but the deck's real power was just being able to chain dead lands into burn spells with the 'rummage' cards. Having two 4-damage spells again makes flat burn so much better.

The difference between the typical EDH deck and a pile of random rares and basic lands is that the pile of random cards is more likely to have a sensible curve and less likely to get color screwed. Also the average card quality of the random pile is likely to be higher than the EDH deck.

We have 1v1 EDH FNM for promos at my LGS. Every week I invariably play against somebody who is like "yeah everybody is so casual, this is a tournament so I came to win." But then I will cast Gitaxian Probe and see a hand of mana rocks that only produce colorless mana, unplayably bad 8 drops and like one piece of their 15 card combo that maybe wins the game, and I'm always tempted to ask them if they would like to backtrack and say they conceded in response to the Probe to save everybody the embarrassment but they are usually like "sorry bro but Vorinclex is gonna getcha next turn" so I just combo kill them instead.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
The edh decks I've played against have usually been very powerful, so I don't get what everybody saying about piles of bad cards. Don't forget the amount of crap people put in their cubes here in the name of synergy.

I don't like edh, but some people definitely do. That doesn't make them dumb or awful. What I hate about nerds (myself included) is we're all convinced we're so much better than everyone else. Less nerdy people are dumber, and smarter people are too nerdy. We should all just have a drink and jump in a lake.

On the topic of MOrigins:
Been jamming awful decks with new cards to see what sticks out. A random sampling of the madness, if not the method:
-Sultai infinite wealth: Herald of the Pantheon and Eidolon of Blossoms are the good cards that team up to cast bad cards like Nylea's Presence and Karametra's Favor to cantrip into even worse cards like Verdant Haven/Market Festival, setting up infinite mana with Thassa's Ire and Kiora's Follower/Voyaging Satyr to kill with Villainous Wealth or Bow of Nylea. Yeah it's about as bad as it sounds.
-WW splash green: the bad mana of Abzan aggro without the power. In all seriousness, Dromoka's Command is still good, Knight of the White Orchid and Angel of Tithes are both quite good, and decks without Languish can struggle to keep up.
-Jeskai. Still not great against Abzan which probably disqualifies it from being good, though the matchup feels a bit better?
-Turbo Tasigurmag the Golden Fangler: The upside is t2-3 Tasigurmags, the downside is not really having anything else.

Aoret

Developer
Then again one of my drafters tilted the fuck out once and told me silverblade paladin was the most broken card in my cube and needed to be removed.

If we don't yet have a thread that collects those unfounded accusations by our players, we really need to start one. I've got one or two guys that always seem to think some random card they lost to is the most busted thing EVER and shouldn't be in my environment :p

Yeah, I don't understand the EDH hate here and in other forums I see (mostly Cube forums tbh). Nerds trashing nerds in the same freaking hobby is weird to me. I play pretty much every format of Magic and I see the merits to all of them. There is no perfect format, though Cube does combine most of what I love so it's what I prefer the most. I like EDH for casual play where I can do cool shit like chain enchantments with Karametra as my general and beat someone to death with a Mirari's Wake (like I did yesterday). I like being able to do cool shit with high cmc cards and come up with cool synergistic decks that I couldn't do in 60 card formats. You might not like the format, but why shit all over it?

Like yeah, there are those tards who build stupid combo decks that win super fast or build dumb infinite mana decks or whatever in EDH, but that's more an individual thing than anything. Non-interactive decks take a hell of a lot away from what the format should be imo. Like I absolutely hate french EDH. I'm just not a fan. The games become too same-y after a while. I'm totally fine with that in constructed, but building decks that do the same shit over and over in the highlander format (by basically playing functional copies of the same thing) just seems dumb to me. Still, "regular" EDH can be really fun and multiplayer politics (assuming you have a cool playgroup) adds another dimension to the game. Like I really love finding different ways to win with my various decks, it's just not fun to me doing things the same way every time. I might not win all the time, but I'd much rather have fun and a good time playing with my friends than be some casual Spike.

My playgroup here in SD does everything Magic-wise. We always have people up for a draft weekly (either at FNM or on campus), we try to cube like twice a month (too hard with everyone being a university student), and we do EDH like once a week at school on Thursday night. There are plusses and minuses to every format I feel; the game has a lot to offer to everyone. I like drafting and cubing as much as the next guy, but I also like spending nights with my friends joking around playing a multiplayer game where we do cool shit with cards that we can't really justify playing elsewhere. And give eachother shit for being bad :p

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I also like spending nights with my friends joking around playing a multiplayer game where we do cool shit with cards that we can't really justify playing elsewhere. And give eachother shit for being bad :p

Yeah that's the bit I like. I hardly go to tournaments anymore, I just play with some good friends. At that point the format doesn't make too much difference.

I rarely (never) say anything good about EDH or EDH players because they blatantly lie to new players and kids saying things like "it's not about winning or losing, it's casual and fun and about having different experiences every game, and you can express your individuality/creativity with your deck" when the reality is 4 people sitting around doing nothing and being bored for 2 hours because everybody is scared of becoming a target and thus losing, thus being ineligible to win. They also devote a lot of energy into making sure other people don't win, and they devote even more energy into making sure people creatively express by not playing good cards that might make them lose.
Because it's not about winning or losing, so long as I'm not losing and you aren't winning, and also that I win sometimes. Also it's fun and social, which is why everything is about peer pressure and shaming people until they fall into line.

The common tale of an immortal who grows tired of the ennui of eternal life and the petty bickering of mortal humans and thus seeks the sweet release of death is probably a metaphor for playing EDH.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I rarely (never) say anything good about EDH or EDH players because they blatantly lie to new players and kids saying things like "it's not about winning or losing, it's casual and fun and about having different experiences every game, and you can express your individuality/creativity with your deck" when the reality is 4 people sitting around doing nothing and being bored for 2 hours because everybody is scared of becoming a target and thus losing, thus being ineligible to win. They also devote a lot of energy into making sure other people don't win, and they devote even more energy into making sure people creatively express by not playing good cards that might make them lose.
Because it's not about winning or losing, so long as I'm not losing and you aren't winning, and also that I win sometimes. Also it's fun and social, which is why everything is about peer pressure and shaming people until they fall into line.

The common tale of an immortal who grows tired of the ennui of eternal life and the petty bickering of mortal humans and thus seeks the sweet release of death is probably a metaphor for playing EDH.

This is a hyperbolic summation of my feelings on the issue.

More succinctly, there are games other then Magic that are significantly better at multiplayer/politics/social/whatever, so when I'm in a situation where that's what I want, I play those instead of trying to hamfist Magic into the role and dealing with all of the inadequacies therein.

I could literally play something like The Great Zimbabwe or Imperial 100 times in a row before I might want to play a game of multiplayer Magic as a change of pace.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Sounds like we've had pretty different EDH playgroups. My guys played powerful generals and powerful cards, and generally everybody was comboing off like crazy. I won our edh league by playing kresh the bloodbraided and a deck full of removal. It worked really well. It worked because the games were always just a constant series of removal checks, and I always had the removal. But games that are just a series of removal checks are not very fun.

*reads posts about how terrible EDH and its players are, laughs heartily*
*remembers that I have 12 EDH decks, feels obligated to post but has no good argument other than "you're wrong because I like EDH so it must not be bad"*

I will say though that everyone I play EDH with is a personal friend, and so we are usually able to work out any of the typical "why'd you bring a shotgun to our pillow fight?" arguments in a non-friendship-ruining way. Think like the opposite of everything that's suggested on the MTGS EDH forums for handling social disputes. I like the derpiness of the format—to me it's like the MTG equivalent of getting smashed on box wine and watching The Room—and I like that I can bring some zany contraption like Quadruple-Urza's-Rage Riku to the table and still have my chances of thrashing my pals be as decent as when I wield a fine-tuned stax-aggro EDH deck with an average CMC of 2.5.

With all that said, I will never play EDH with people I don't know again, and I totally understand why others would not want to either. Once bitten, twice shy.

Oh hey, this is an ORI spoilers thread. Is anyone going to try Day's Undoing or The Great Aurora?

I like the great aurora but it comes down to whether you play upheaval in your cube as they're basically the same card, but on colour in ramp. And I don't play upheaval.

I do! I really, really want to ramp into Aurora. It seems like it'll play more interactively than Upheaval, since you both get some land back, but you get to drop your big boy first. Like, I know 9 mana is huge, but one 9-mana card in the Green section isn't going to kill my Cube (my wide power band and my playgroup's jobs do a good enough job of that).

I don't think I would run the aurora in my cube... but I would probably try to play it in someone else's cube at some point.

Also on great multiplayer games, a guy in our group keeps telling us to play V:TES but whenever we ask how he just says "bring your laptops on Friday." RIP.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
If we don't yet have a thread that collects those unfounded accusations by our players, we really need to start one. I've got one or two guys that always seem to think some random card they lost to is the most busted thing EVER and shouldn't be in my environment :p
One of my players actually called Genju of the Cedars the most broken card in my cube. And he was being serious. Genju. Of the Cedars!

FWIW, I always enjoy a good game of commander, but games where you get locked out by, say, a Ruination are really, really annoying. It's a delicate balance, and it only works with likeminded folk. One jerk can and will ruin the whole experience for the whole table.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Ok, I'm going to make a confession. I'm not sure what The Great Aurora actually does. I understand the actual mechanic of resolving the spell, but I have absolutely no idea what that means.

Also, my one regret in life was selling my V:tES collection.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
You are supposed to ramp a bunch of mana, say 11 or 13, tap all your mana producers, than cast it. This effectively restarts the game, accept you are accelerated 2-4 mana + however many lands are in your opening hand. You than hopefully drop a primeval titan, or some other nonsense, and win.

Mostly what it does is leave behind a 3/3 beast token and a pile of lands as far as I can tell. Maybe you'll be in a better spot than your opponent. Maybe not. You'll never know until you try!

Basically ramp with creatures to the aurora (or with artifacts) and look to spawn token bodies as well. Something like Awakening Zone is really good with it. It's one of the few green board-wipes you could get in a game of Commander. It lets green reset the game and is a great way of dealing with spellslinger blue at the table since it's likely that they wouldn't have too many permanents on the field. It also makes sense flavorfully; the whole plane has changed (Lorwyn --> Shadowmoor), so no one is really prepared except you who was planning for the shift. You get rewarded for crafting your board with that as the payoff. Lands all enter untapped, so you get the first chance to re-establish board presence. It's definitely a cool card.

The Great Aurora is sort of like Upheaval and Warp World had a baby. And it was green somehow. Someone call Maury.

Yknow I wasn't considering The Great Aurora, but I really like getting away with absurd garbage in my cube, and this seems like just the sort of insane garbage I would try to make work and grin about for the whole night. I don't know where I'll shove it in my green section, but dammit, I'm going to figure it out.

Also, I love EDH, but I mostly play 1v1 or the occasional 3-way game with close peeps. I tried to play Commander on MTGO but it was miserable. Either I felt really guilty bringing budget Azami to a super-weak casual game or I felt ridiculously frustrated playing my budget Azami against a powerhouse combo-zone match. I think it's a format that thrives best among friends.