Sets [ORI] Magic Origins Spoilers

lilianahereticalhealer.jpg
lilianadefiantnecromancer.jpg

let's get started

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Seems sweet. Lots of things I'd love more of in black: Lifegain, Sac synergy, Planeswalkers,
Her Flipped side even does the things I want a black walker to do: Pressure people's hands and get value!

I've said this before but like damage on the stack made so many cards that would be great with this sort of ability cubable. Now we'll probably never want to see mogg fanatic in there again lol omg

I've said this before but like damage on the stack made so many cards that would be great with this sort of ability cubable. Now we'll probably never want to see mogg fanatic in there again lol omg

It's probably fine out of a pure gamist perspective, but I don't like damage on the stack with my game designer hat on. The rules are abstracted and associated with a set of symbols, which in magic is fantasy creatures punching each other in the face. Somehow that rule, in the face punching abstractions, means that you punched me put then you just ceased to exist. There's no possible way to explain it to a beginner that doesn't understand why we'd break away from that abstraction how that rule makes sense, so I can understand why its gone.

He died delivering his final blow, leaving no satisfaction to his enemies. When I hear people complaining about combat damage being gamey and non-illustrative my eyes get really roll-y, like theres so many gamey things in magic we could be bitching about, and not just the ones that make creatures more exciting.

Yes it's complicated and modo would probably die twice as much if it were hanging around but like I mourn ravenous baloth lol. Some stuff is just so much less fun / cool now.

Anyway cube is the most expert format that there is and I'm not suggesting every cuber try to enable more sweet plays by allowing combat damage on the stack I was simply pointing this out because I assume there is some sort of insight to be gleaned from it.

Man it's really too bad 2/3 for 3 is such a crappy fighter in cube most of the time (unless it's fighting other black decks lol) I expect you are supposed to do something like sac your Sakura-Tribe Elder or something after you play it to immediately start either plusing or to just get back your dead two drop with it's ability and block again lol. It's nice it gets to 5 really quickly and feeds it's own ability but would it have killed to be a 2/4?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'm glad damage on the stack is gone. That moment your opponent who is new at Magic realizes you just rules-lawyered him and he is going to lose the game because of some arcane rule? Yeah, been there, can do without it.

I didn't have any problems with playing with damage on the stack myself, but I also don't believe it necessarily made Magic a better game. There's a lot of pros and cons that boil down to personal preference, and removing it streamlined the game a lot, which is a good thing in my book.

Giving Mogg Fanatic first strike seems awesome though.

honestly i don't think it's even a big deal, i don't see why people still bring it up. i was really annoyed but who cares the game is fine, it's not worse, and it might be better.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I miss the old legend rules. No, not that one. The old old rules. Do you hear that? It's Lin Sivvi. Turning in her grave because of the new legend rule. There can only be one!