Sets [ORI] Magic Origins Spoilers

Damage on the stack was more fun, but I get why they got rid of it and I adjusted. Mana burn was sweet, though. It was completely intuitive: where does it go? It must go somewhere or do something. Mana Draining a FoW without something to sink it into was a serious drawback.

Yeah I was also unhappy when they altered Winter Orb & co. But it wasn't automatically intuitive.

Laz

Developer
I just learned that Moonmist kills her instantly. That's a strange interaction that I hadn't thought about.

Venser, the Sojourner and being captured and released from under an Oblivion Ring also transform it back into a creature.

Also, I just looked at the rules for double-faced cards. How the hell do they interact with Manifest?

711.6. A double-faced permanent always has the status "face up" (see rule 110.6). Double-faced permanents can't be turned face down. If a spell or ability tries to turn a double-faced permanent face down, nothing happens.
110.6. A permanent's status is its physical state. There are four status categories, each of which has two possible values: tapped/untapped, flipped/unflipped, face up/face down, and phased in/phased out. Each permanent always has one of these values for each of these categories.
110.6a Status is not a characteristic, though it may affect a permanent's characteristics.
110.6b Permanents enter the battlefield untapped, unflipped, face up, and phased in unless a spell or ability says otherwise.
110.6c A permanent retains its status until a spell, ability, or turn-based action changes it, even if that status is not relevant to it.
110.6d Only permanents have status. Cards not on the battlefield do not. Although an exiled card may be face down, this has no correlation to the face-down status of a permanent. Similarly, cards not on the battlefield are neither tapped nor untapped, regardless of their physical state.

707.3. Objects that are put onto the battlefield face down are turned face down before they enter the battlefield, so the permanent’s enters-the-battlefield abilities won’t trigger (if triggered) or have any effect (if static).

My reading of 707.3 is that if you manifest a card it is 'turned face down' and put onto the battlefield, yet under 711.6, a double faced permanent can't be turned face down. I presume it is not yet a permanent when it is turned face down (as it occurs before being put onto the battlefield)?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
wasn't that set one of the least popular sets ever tho

There were some real gems in Masques block, but coming after Urza's block and before Invasion block, it was wedged between to blocks that were either powerful or awesome (or both). It was always going to look bad. Prophecy is also pretty much the worst block of the set, by far. Still... That block...

blump
hixusprisonwarden.jpg

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Where we're going, we don't need P and T.

Have there been cube cards that rely on allowing your opponent to connect in the red zone to get full value? Sounds awful.

Also, this with flash is I guess "tension". Do you eat their guy or wait and exile it? Usually I don't think it will be a very big decision, but manipulating the board state to get value may be interesting.

EDIT: Oops, thought the exile was permanent. Hah. Even worse than I thought.

Well, if they declare two dudes attacking, then you flash this in to eat one via combat damage, and let the other one through, exiling it later.

This drastically improves if he's an 8/8 or something stupid like that.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Well, if they declare two dudes attacking, then you flash this in to eat one via combat damage, and let the other one through, exiling it later.

This drastically improves if he's an 8/8 or something stupid like that.

Oh, yeah, I suck at reading comprehension. I read it as an ETB trigger. I guess it's better than my initial evaluation, which is based off awful assumptions. Ooops. Sorry readers.

As a person who has made a lot of cards I tend to agree with Waddell, it's unlikely this ends up being as pushed as I would want for a card that feels so conditional. Then again the dragons they have been printing lately and core-set mythics, have really been pushing my expectations.

I'm always excited to see more flash on white creatures for depth reasons, but I remain dubious regarding this walking trick.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
How many intro pack rares have ever been cube-worthy? (Interesting food for thought); The only marginal one I can think of is Talrand (Maybe Krenko?).

So considering what they usually put as intro pack rares my guess would be something like a 3/5 for his P/T.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Let's make a visual wall to see how good his triggered ability has been historically...

Dad and your brothers want to have a word with you Reciprocate. How come you the black sheep of our family?

Let's make a visual wall to see how good his triggered ability has been historically...

Dad and your brothers want to have a word with you Reciprocate. How come you the black sheep of our family?
the good ones on that list aren't his triggered ability lol

I guess I didn't get it because I only consider two of those cards actually good, I think I played condemn grudgingly a couple of times in standard when wrathing and gaining a million life with martyrs still had problems in some matches.

Neat design, but probably too weak. A 5 mana flash Journey to Nowhere (shittier b/c you need to take the hit) isn't all that appealing. If he had a sick body like a 4/6 then maybe, but I'm not holding my breath on an intro pack rare. The flavor is kind of cool though. I hope that this signals some sort of mentor cycle for each of the planeswalkers. Hopefully they don't miss on all five in that case.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I guess I didn't get it because I only consider two of those cards actually good, I think I played condemn grudgingly a couple of times in standard when wrathing and gaining a million life with martyrs still had problems in some matches.

Oh, Swords and Path are head and shoulders above the rest, but Condemn and Dispatch were certainly good enough to see some play in standard. Reciprocate however, well...