Sets [ORI] Magic Origins Spoilers

the weird bit is, I've only ever played either of those cards in casual formats and never had them to splash when they were legal

Card I made aegis ago (lol):

{3}{W}{W}
Creature - Angel
Flying, vigilance
When landowner angel enters the battlefield exile target creature, its controller gains life equal to its power.
3/3

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Huge and very satisfying news!

en_Kmykw4Amhj.png
en_9zWHiaYn8E.png
en_2USs5xllTD.png

Prowess (primary in blue, secondary in red, probably tertiary in white) and Scry (all colors) are now evergreen! :D Woohoo! Prowess kills two birds with one stone: their lack of a combat-related mechanic in blue, and the lack of an overlapping mechanic in {U/R}. I'm pretty excited about that!

Menace replaces Intimidate (primary in black, secondary in red), which is also good news.

Protection is phased out mostly. It will pop up from time to time, but they're not actively using it in each set anymore, and it finally lost its evergreen status. Yes!

Laz

Developer
Rosewater's article made some points that we are constantly hammering in here. The decision to phase out the super swingy keywords, Intimidate, Protection and Landwalk. I personally didn't mind Intimidate, since creatures with it can always be blocked by artifact creatures, and that is something that could be foreseen and drafted around if you were familiar with the format. The others, well, how does it feel to be punished for playing the colours that you had the misfortune to draft?

Prowess back? I love Prowess.

I also like Menace, simply because I have been wanting more evasion in Red. Pyreheart Wolf is an all star, and I like the 'target creature cannot block' mechanic it gets, but having a keyword means we might see more effectively costed creatures with it. Here we have a 3/2 evasive creature for 3, which is a pretty decent rate, especially on a Common.

White Knight sucks, but Gods Willing and such are amazing cards for testing skill in limited. Surprisingly, I think I'm gonna miss Protection ("indestructible" on similar instants is nowhere near as good/fun).

I've also never really understood the Pyreheart Wolf cube love (specifically that card, not the mechanic in general). Is a summoning sick 1/1 really better than paying the same cost for actual Goblin War Drums?

I've also never really understood the Pyreheart Wolf cube love (specifically that card, not the mechanic in general). Is a summoning sick 1/1 really better than paying the same cost for actual Goblin War Drums?
yes

also, it has undying

Posting from my phone, so I can't link the image, but what about Avaricious Dragon? Guy looks like a boss, and about a hundred times more interesting than Thunderbreak Regent.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
en_oiCrCm5i6g.png

Looks as dank as that one place I lived that was cold and awful.

Nice! I'm excited.
I was looking to add thunderbreak regent because 4/4 fliers for 4 excite me, and push red in a non-hellrider direction (which is nice for variety if nothing else) but this card seems way more enticing.

RE: Prowess/Scry/Menace:
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
*Pant pant pant*

Whew. Boy am I excited! :D
Prowess is a great evergreen keyword for a lot of reasons:
Blue has this problem that all it's creatures are really low impact since their power basically can't be equal to their CMC (Unless you're a dev mistake), leaving blue with about 90% creatures that punch below their cost. The upside of this is there's utility to be had in spades, but the downside is no blue deck will ever win by attacking with blue creatures, they either have to splash a color or pretend they're another color (See Lord of Atlantis vs Wizened Cenn. Really, which of those feels more appropriate to the color?). Now with prowess, blue can actually get decent creatures for cost, since they won't always been at "prowess has been triggered" size.
It lets you give really strong keywords to creatures (See seeker of the way) since they won't have them all the time. I bet if we ever get a mono blue 2 mana ophidian, (since Vedalken Heretic exists) it will likely involve prowess.
It's also a low impact way to introduce combat tricks to a format, since the easiest way to get people to think twice about combat is to make that happen using cards people want to play anyways, like brainstorm.

Plus, I'm excited we might actually see another prowess bear like seeker of the way, since as amazing as he's been for cube he was kinda the only 2 drop seeing play in standard, which I'm pretty sure R&D doesn't like. However, the dev time between this and Khans was probably quick enough that the development team didn't have time to see other 2 drops just being abandoned in standard, so he might show up again.
(Don't quote me on this, other stuff has seen play like Sylvan Caryatid, Rakshasa Deathdealer and Fleecemane Lion, but I distinctly remember a RW "Aggro" deck who's curve involved Seeker and Lightning Strike at 2, and that's it. I feel they could have included something else, but opted not to)

Scry: always down for more consistency being added to limited. It's not quite the full on "Every set has cycling and kicker" level that KillingAGoldfish proposed, but it's a step in the right direction, and players love it. The cycle of theros lands plays amazingly, I just wish they didn't enter tapped.

Menace: Big fan of this keyword, and it's had a lot of hits:

It's also the kind of evasion that feels really red, since it works really well in the early game and decent to poor in the late game.
Also HURR DURR PWURR CREEP!
245.jpg

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Also more stuff I should probably mention (The above cards are now actually up on mythicspoiler)

graspofthehieromancer.jpg

I like the goblin shortcutter ability this gives, but I want the enchantment to have more punch. Madcap skills is good mostly because it gives +3/+0, not because of the evasion (though the whole package is clearly better than the parts)

separatistvoidmage.jpg

Awww, Man-o-'war left us too soon (Like, 12 years ago)

malakircullblade.jpg

This card is powerful. However...

This card is more powerful, and a zombie to boot.Weight kinda almost made the cut for me, and if you could ensure he was a 3/3 with some regularity, and at least a 2/2 when he came down, I'd get him in there in a heartbeat. Good thought though

reavesoul.jpg

It's no doom blade, but I love me a good sorcery. Color agnostic, doesn't blow out people trying to make combat tricks or auras work, this could be a sweet card. Black's strength has always been that it's removal hits the things other colors don't (Or just have a pain killing, in the case of red), but playing with that could make for some interesting space.
Also, a surprising amount of powerful cards have 3 power: Restoration Angel, Hero of Bladehold, Archangel of Thune, Hellrider, Brutal hordechief, Master of the Wild Hunt, Dragonlord Silumgar...

This might become my black killspell of choice

I get the sense that they're continuing on the same low power removal vein as previous, but that they're getting better at not overdoing it (m15 really had horrid removal). Feel's like R'n'D might be on team volcanic hammer?

I love the keywording of prowess and menace. Great stuff.

With that said, all cards spoiled so far look a half step low in power level (and if they look lower powered for my cube, I can only image what the more power-max minded are thinking). So I'm not overly optimistic this set is going to have a lot of cube options. Still super early obviously, but when I see a man-o'-war with nothing but a better creature type for an extra mana. Well, I'm disappointed (at least with Aether Adept you could try and argue that the better creature type was worth the change from 2U to 1UU).

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'm not even sure they are on that team. That sorcery burn for 3 with scry costs 2 more mana than volcanic hammer. Scry 1 isn't even worth a mana, let alone two mana.

I'm all for lower powered removal and I'll be the first to say lightning bolt is stupid, but 3 extra mana and a nerf to sorcery all for scry 1??? Dude. What?

And if you draft Origins you will pick it because it's good limited removal.