General Print this Wizards! (So I can put it in my cube)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Nitpicks: It's Phoenix, not Pheonix, see Ashcloud Phoenix). It's Marshal with one l (double l is Brittish), see Dauntless River Marshal. It should also probably be Leonin Explorer, if you're using the WotC supported race :) Lastly, I'm missing professions (as in creature types) on the white cards. Aven Marshal would probably be a knight? Giving life to your opponent doesn't feel very soldiery to me in any case. Leonin Explorer could be a Scout, see Farbog Explorer.

I like Sarkhan's Phoenix effect, but not its cost. I would probably make it a 2/2 for {1}{B}{R}. Both red and black are extremely inefficient at small flyers (Vampire Nighthawk notwithstanding), and this is not only efficient for its cost, but it also has one, or two depending on the matchup, very relevant abilities.

Aven Marshal seems fine, though certainly pushed statwise. Probably best in a control deck looking for an early resilient blocker, as aggro decks don't want to give their opponent life. Come to think of it, I would hate to see this on the other side of the table if I were the aggro player. If I can't pick it up myself, that means this is going to the control player during the draft. How is aggro doing in your cube?

Soldier of Kruphix is mighty efficient for a green creature. Though green occasionally gets a 2-power 1-drop, they're way more common in white, black, and green. If you want to support green aggro in your cube I guess you better design your own cards though, because the existing options aren't really up to snuff. Jungle Lion is just miserable compared to the options in other colors.

Lion Explorer is perfect. :)

Hey thanks for the input. I'll fix all the flavor stuff stat.
Sarkan's Phoenix would certainly not be printable at BR, but idk if it would fare well in my cube at 1BR, being just a 2/1 flyer most of the time.
Aven Marshal is probably playable even in non-pridemate aggro, and is certainly very pushed. Aggro rocks in my cube, so I'm not real concerned.
Soldier of Kruphix should probably cost 1.5 mana. uhg. any ideas?

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I think Soldier of Kruphix is one of those untenable designs. A 1/1 with that ability isn't good enough, but a 2/1 with it is insane and there probably isn't a reasonable downside to tack on that would matter.

Idk. Probably could cost 2 and be a 2/2, or cost 1 and be a 0/2 or 0/3, but then it's lame. oh well. Not really looking for green 1 drops.

What if:

Kruphix's Soldier - G
Leonin Soldier

Landfall - Kruphix's Soldier gains +1/+1 until end of turn. You gain 1 life.

1/1

"The bounties of nature are ripe for the taking, for those that unyieldingly seeks the horizon."

Plays into two theme's, and helps it become a pseudo 1.5/1.5 creature?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I don't like aven marshal. He's probably fair, but I don't like him. He feels a little control specific and too strong in control decks. What's your goal with this creature?

I like lion explorer, though I'll admit he probably needs to be re-flavored :p Repeated scry is a great reward for this sort of thing.

Sarkhan's Phoenix: Interesting! I love me a good ravenous rats, and the regrowing text triggering for both players is a nice touch. Why is it red though? Would it work at {B}{B}?

Soldier of Kruphix: It's okay. I like rasamus' version above more though, even if it is worse.

Fun Ideas for Cube!

Cube Siren
{U}
Creature - Siren
Flash, flying
Bestow {4}{U}{U}
You control enchanted creature, it gets +1/+1 and has flying.
1/1

Motivate {3}{U}{U}
Sorcery
You control target creature, if it was tapped untap it.

A Reckoning {2}{W}{W}
Sorcery
Exile all creatures with power 3 or less. If you payed the kicker cost, exile all creatures with power X or less where is is whatever number you so happen to choose.
Kicker - {2}

Dark Meddling {B}{B}
Sorcery
Destroy target creature. Then if you payed the kicker cost put a 4/4 black flying demon token into play.
Kicker - {3} and pay 4 life.

Oh.My.God.

I LOVE JESKAI PROWESS PINGER. I WANT IT! YES! OH MY GOD. THIS NEEDS TO BE REAL. I LOVE IT TOO MUCH TO EVEN ATTEMPT TO BE SATISFIED WITH JUST ACCEPTING THAT IT'S ONLY A CUSTOM CARD! I DON'T EVEN CARE HOW MUCH SENSE THAT LAST SENTENCE MADE! SPIKESHOT ELDER FUCKED A GELECTRODE & MADE ONE SEXY BABY!

How DARE you design such a perfect card that will probably never truly exist in the realm of real mtg...it's heartbreaking. I almost feel like crying...

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I don't like the blue hybrid part, that activated ability is pure red, but I do like the concept. Think it should be a 1/1 as well.

Lucre's cards also look pretty swell, except the flash on the Cube Siren. If Treachery is nuts, how about an eot Control Magic that grants +1/+1 and evasion?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Oh.My.God.

I LOVE JESKAI PROWESS PINGER. I WANT IT! YES! OH MY GOD. THIS NEEDS TO BE REAL. I LOVE IT TOO MUCH TO EVEN ATTEMPT TO BE SATISFIED WITH JUST ACCEPTING THAT IT'S ONLY A CUSTOM CARD! I DON'T EVEN CARE HOW MUCH SENSE THAT LAST SENTENCE MADE! SPIKESHOT ELDER FUCKED A GELECTRODE & MADE ONE SEXY BABY!

How DARE you design such a perfect card that will probably never truly exist in the realm of real mtg...it's heartbreaking. I almost feel like crying...

I fuckin lold

Is there any particular reason that the pinger couldnt just be mono red?

edit: ie
hvc5fl.jpg

Probably can't happen, pretty sure it'd be the best red pinger ever by quite a bit. Definitely needs activation cost, mostly because otherwise there'd be zero reason to ever attack with it, but also because I think 1/1 unblockable prowess for 2 is already too good. Maybe if it cost 1R to cast and 1R to activate it could be mono red.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Drown in Lava.png

You'ld be surprised what doubling up mana symbols can do to balance your cards. I agree with Suicufnoc though that that pinger should have an activation cost. I kinda like the {U}{R} cost on Jeskai Assassin though, if only because it cements "spells matter" as a theme in those colors, whereas Monastery Cutthroat would just be picked up by the first red player that saw it, but there is nothing inherently blue about it.

Aside: Also, why is that a Shaman and not a Monk? Monks can do cool spelllike stuff, you don't have to be a Shaman to hurl fire at your enemies (at least not according to D&D). It is very likely however that you're a Monk if you're considered "Monastery" ;)

Monastery Cutthroat.png

I think this looks a bit better. Also, the new border is beginning to grow on me. It looks good!

Yeah, other than not liking CC costs on early proactive cards, I chose UR because thats where my spells matters theme predominantly sits. If I was going to actually cube it as mono red, I'd probably go 1R with 1R activation, even if it is weaker, to make it easier to cast.
Which I may do, because I'm loving that name with that art.
I want a UR spells matter card, though...

Also, an update on a Chris Taylor special. Maybe should be a 0/1, but probably too weak then.

Attachments

• Monastery Cutthroat.jpg
    Monastery Cutthroat.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Young Archivist.jpg
    Young Archivist.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 16
Complete the Card:
oh feel free to adjust cost or class too

Hey how about Monastery Cutthroat as a 0/2 Prowess Double Striker for 2?

Attachments

• Goblin Pyrocrat.jpg
    Goblin Pyrocrat.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 17
This is probably something you have to play test, and I agree that it should have an activation cost to get around the problem with psuedo-unblockability, but I feel like 1R might make it hard to utilize because you need so much mana to cast spells and trigger it. I could see making it like a 0/1 and have no activation cost or an activation cost of R. I think we could all agree on prowess being a pretty fun mechanic.

I could see a prowess double-striker but were you thinking that on the pinger?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Yeah, other than not liking CC costs on early proactive cards, I chose UR because thats where my spells matters theme predominantly sits. If I was going to actually cube it as mono red, I'd probably go 1R with 1R activation, even if it is weaker, to make it easier to cast.
Which I may do, because I'm loving that name with that art.
I want a UR spells matter card, though...

Also, an update on a Chris Taylor special. Maybe should be a 0/1, but probably too weak then.

The Chris Taylor Special :D

Unfortunately much like steppe lynx would be horrible with +1/+1 as a landfall trigger, I've found the C 1/1 prowess to be a bit weak. You can't guarantee a spell per turn, (or if you are this is your only threat) so usually he ends up being a 1.5/1.5, which isn't quite good enough.

It'd probably be fine with some evasion on it (I think I had it gain flying when you played a noncreature spell, something like that)

I don't like the blue hybrid part, that activated ability is pure red, but I do like the concept. Think it should be a 1/1 as well.

Lucre's cards also look pretty swell, except the flash on the Cube Siren. If Treachery is nuts, how about an eot Control Magic that grants +1/+1 and evasion?

I dunno I think of this more like a draining whelk that doesn't have a lot of timing issues right? Like treachery almost gives you a whole extra turn as far as your mana is concerned, and would be able to do that if you were doing it on your turn or off. I dunno if you played with the whelk but it was pretty cumberbatch.