General [Riptide Draft] Saturday 26 March 2016 @ 2pm EST

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
So that was pretty fun. We had 5 drafters (Safra, Myself, Meltyman, Vennythekid and Marwatt) and 4 players (Marwatt had to leave). I decided to record what I was doing, in which I found it hard to talk and actually draft at the same time. I kept holding up all the packs (oops). I'll check out my recordings and post them up to youtube maybe if they don't bore me to tears or the audio is all mucked up.
The fact that I had absolutely no idea what game plan I wanted to go didn't help me either and I ended up in a CoCo 5-colour goodstuff build
OEuBzRF.png
Match 1 Game 1 vs Safra
So I keep a hand with 5 lands and see a first turn Birds of Paradise on the other side, which scares me. It doesn't lead to anything early though. I drop a third turn Tidehollow Sculler that I ripped from the top and see this:
sUP5uei.png
So I can see the Jeskai Ascendency/Life shenanigans that is going to occur, but I think I can wind it out. So I take the Solemn to stop a blocker and hope she can't get another coloured source for the Ascendency.
Safra cracks the Verge to get the coloured sources she needs (I forgot about that), swings with delver and passes.
I drop Guul Draz Assassin and Lingering Souls and beats with the Sculler and pass.
Delver then flips off of a Remand (important), Safra does the Ascendency and beats with the delver.
I spend my next turn just levelling up the assassin and killing delver and swinging in with the team, which I realise as soon as I did it was a mistake.
I pass turn and hope not to die to a wall of trees. So Safra casts Life then casts this:
o9kmrCy.png

So at this point I assume I am dead, as I know she has the Remand in hand. So she can just Remand the Mox to get 2 more Ascendancy triggers. Instead, it just dies, and a Young Pyromancer comes out. I take 12 to go down to 4. I Kill the Pyromancer on my turn, swing in. Safra untaps, draws and concedes.
You have to love a patented 'Safra Misplay'™.

Match 1 Game 2 vs Safra
Safra gets a turn 1 Young Pyromancer off of a Mox Diamond which is rather scary. I have my Assassin turn 1 to stop it from beating in though. I get to turn 3 Collected Company off a Rattleclaw Mystic to only find a Scavenging Ooze. Which gets to eat one thing before Safra decides it has to go by Bring To Lighting a Path To Exile, which gets me no land, as my only basic is already in play :\
Safra is down to only one card left in hand and I have been struggling for land. I decide to roll the dice with my BBE and come up all 6's.
yEg0GMw.png
Safra can only play a Retreat to Coralhelm, so I beat her down to 1. She draws Izzet Charm, loots deep then concedes.
Reflector Mage is awesome. 'Nuff said.

Match 2 Game 1 vs Meltyman
So I heard from the skype chat that his deck had way too much value. I was a little scared, especially when I had to mulligan down to 6. My second turn Qasali Pridemage got Removed Souled which was quite relevant when a Birthing Pod appeared with a Finks in tow. I feel things stared to fall apart on turn 5:
sfHuScF.png
So I can do all sorts of things this turn. I decided to Sculler and sac it to the Helm while the ability was still on the stack. I see all sorts of gas: Jace, Architect of Thought, Vendilion Clique, Glen Elendra Archmage and the card I end up taking Shriekmaw. :eek:
I take the Sower with the helm, which doesn't have the effect I wanted it to have (I didn't get Yasova back, RTFC).
Meltyman then Yasova's the Sower, swings in. Pod's the Finks into a Woodland Wanderer (which is questionable) passes.
I rip a Reflector Mage to return Yasova to my hand and drop the assassin and pass.
Meltyman pods the Wanderer into a Acidic Slime to blow up the helm and drop the Archmage with a blue open and pass.
I Bloodbraid to hope for Lingering Souls or Bone Shredder to stop the faerie assault but get a Porcelain Legionnaire instead and then swing in for no reason. I get beaten down to 3 so I have one more turn. I get Cliqued on my draw step and CoCo in response. It gets countered by the archmage (I forgot about it :|) then concede to the abundance of lethal pixie dust.

Match 2 Game 2 vs Meltyman
I keep a risky two land hand on the play and am instantly rewarded with a third land that allows me to drop a Liliana of the Veil and start grind out some advantage (+1). The next turn it makes Melty sacrifice his freshly cast Baleful Strix and I CoCo into Yasova and Guul Draz Assassin. Then a couple of turns pass, Liliana and the assassin take care of Melty's board and he gets knocked down to 9, so he casts a max Woodland Wanderer. I get to unearth a Liliana discarded Reflector Mage and swing with the Assassin, Yasova and Pridemage for lethal.

Match 2 Game 3 vs Meltyman
I decided to combat the insane card advantage of his deck by putting in my terrible combo of Hermit Druid and Laboratory Maniac taking out the Helm of Possession and Thragtusk (I didn't know what to cut). I mulligan a 1-lander into a 4-lander (no white) plus Hermit Druid and Tidehollow Sculler, it is better than a punch in the face so I keep and scry an unearth to the bottom. I make a mistake on the first turn by not playing my Savage Lands first in case I draw a white source for the turn 2 Sculler, which I do get. However, my Sculler gets Vendilion Cliqued away into another land so all I have is Hermit Druid. Melty gets a Glen Elendra Archmage next turn and I am on a quick airforce clock. I rip a Collected Company and cast it straight away and only hit Reclamation Sage (the rest was 3 lands, Liliana and Rancor). I then sigh heavily and pass. Melty pressures me more by playing Garruk Wildspeaker and Baleful Strix and swinging me down to 12. I swing in at Garruk to make sure I have at least one more turn. Play the Porcelain Legionnaire I drew and pass. Melty swings me down to 7 and I know I have nothing that can really save me at this point so I Hermit Druid so I can maybe I can flashback Lingering Souls, but I accidentally my whole library.
cFskfbT.png
So I get to go out on my own terms, which is pretty sweet. When watching the replay, I did see I put that mountain as the last card from my Collected Company. I never think about the cards I'm putting on the bottom. Maybe from now on I will.

So I ended up going 1-1. Would have liked to play against Vennythekid but time constraints got the best of us yet again (time is such the fickle mistress).

Overall I had a great time. I even got in a couple more games against Meltyman (went 1-1 then the next pairings were up). Deck was fun if not a little too luck based (BBE and CoCo <3). I am getting used to Safra's cube. Fixing is almost waay too abundant which is great, although I don't know if it is something I would draft every time as all the decks I draft seem to end up fairly similar in the end, 4-5 good stuff piles. It probably says more about how I draft than about Safra's cube, but thought it was relevant enough to share. 10/10 would make Safra misplay again.

EDIT: Sorry if the images are too large. I got a new monitor and haven't figured out what best to scale images to for this forum. Next time I'll save some of your bandwidth.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
So that was pretty fun. We had 5 drafters (Safra, Myself, Meltyman, Vennythekid and Marwatt) and 4 players (Marwatt had to leave). I decided to record what I was doing, in which I found it hard to talk and actually draft at the same time. I kept holding up all the packs (oops). I'll check out my recordings and post them up to youtube maybe if they don't bore me to tears or the audio is all mucked up.

So I checked out my recordings and they weren't as bad as I was expecting them to be. Also, I hadn't changed my setup for the now monitor so the resolution when I uploaded to youtube was pretty blurry. As long as you don't want to read the tiny card text it is fine. But other than that if you want to hear my voice as I pretty much just say what I type and make terrible jokes then it is up for you to see. It won't stop me from doing writeups but they should act as a complement to them so instead of my writing every play I can just post screenshots and comment on decisions that made a difference throughout the game. Then if you want to see how they played out in more detail you can check the video.

Check out the playlist here. The drafting is a bit all over the place, but the games are decent enough to watch.

If anyone has any criticisms hit them at me. I want to know how to make them as watchable as possible. ps. I only swear once, but that because there is a load bang, which sounded like it happened downstairs but after the draft I went to look what it was and nothing was out of place. Who knows what it was :S

3-0'd with this list. I frequently took out Dissolve and Brainstorm, then replaced them with Hero's Downfall + Wickerbough Elder.

BUG Pod

Meltyman then Yasova's the Sower, swings in. Pod's the Finks into a Woodland Wanderer (which is questionable) passes.

I had to check this situation out again and you might be right there.
My plan was to steal the Sower back for me with Acidic Slime and it worked, but i can see it going the other way around had you played the Reclamation Sage to my Pod.
Not sure if i was being too greedy.. i didn't know your deck since it was game 1, but yeah... food for thought, thanks for that !

EDIT: also your picture size is fine, but i would use spoilers, so it won't take a whole page.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Thought I may as well bump this thread so I don't forget (I was going to do it this weekend).

Hopefully it gets enough chatter that we can organise a full draft for a change :D

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not actually sure when you guys intended to draft, specifically. "Easter weekend" doesn't translate to a date, in my head.

I'm in for saturday at 2PM EST. Maybe I'll be able to stream, too! If anyone else is going to stream, let me know and I'll shoot you an updated version of the RL overlay.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
So now that we have a date and time set, I've updated the first post and the title to show it.
I have also started adding people to the list who said they are willing to play at that time.

The only thing we need to discuss is which cube we want to draft.
My first inclination would be Safra's Cube as people seem to enjoy that one, although we could always do the penny pincher if people are up for something different (and want to throw me the hosting duties).
We could also even use Jason's cube list, since anyone with the riptide account can have access to it.

What does everyone feel like?

Aoret

Developer
This would be very cool.

You know I was pretty down on that layout when I made it. I love the tweaks safra made to it and it makes me stoked that people other than the two of us have interest in using it :D

Growing up I was never encouraged to do any art stuff (STEM is where the money is at, after all...) so it feels great any time a creative endeavor of mine is viewed positively!

hot off the presses!

Attachments

• Aoret.png
    Aoret.png
    272.5 KB · Views: 9
  • aston.png
    aston.png
    272.6 KB · Views: 11
  • aston2.png
    aston2.png
    213.5 KB · Views: 10
  • kirbi.png
    kirbi.png
    273.3 KB · Views: 9
  • kirbi2.png
    kirbi2.png
    214.1 KB · Views: 11

Aoret

Developer
Awesome! Saf can you shoot the PSD over to me? I had a few other layer configurations I switch to during drafts and deck construction, so I wanna make versions of those with your improvements done to them as well

There is a slight chance that i don't have to be away from home this weekend because i'm still quite ill.
If this is the case, can i join the draft or is it full already ?

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Super sweet layovers, but I'm afraid you misspelled Kirblinx's name. There's an i too many!

I'd noticed that for a while. I would stealthily change my name in the grid draft spreadsheets unbeknownst to Safra.
Not that I care, plus I just wanted to see how long it would go on for.

I know I kept thinking RavebornMuse had an extra 'n' in their name for like 3 months. Plus Kirbi-linx rolls off the tongue nicer, and fits my avatar more. When I talk about myself in the third person I call myself 'Kerbal Space Program'. You don't what nicknames I give to you guys :p

Also, I was going to try and get photoshop and remove the frame in the corner, as I don't plan on showing my ugly mug anytime soon, and I could fix my name when I did that.
There is a slight chance that i don't have to be away from home this weekend because i'm still quite ill.
If this is the case, can i join the draft or is it full already ?

From my count (on the first post of this thread) there is only 5 people who have confirmed that they want to play. So if you want to join, please come. The closer we get to 8 the better.

As it turns out, I'm going to be away this Saturday after all, so knock me off the list.

Also thanks for the overlay safra, but like kirblinx I don't really use a webcam, is there a version without the extra pane?

Aoret

Developer
You guys can most likely just nuke it from the overlay image yourselves in paint or whatever and be totally fine. It'll look a bit ugly without a camera there since I was hiding a bunch of ugly modo UI when I placed the camera there. Give it a test drive with the camera panel clipped out yourselves and if you have trouble I'll make a fixed version for ya