Sets Shadows over Innistrad Spoilers Thread

That says more about those reanimation targets than anything else. I'd rather pay 3 mana for Necromancy on Griselbrand and get 7 cards than pay double for Seasons Past to get ~4. I'd rather pay for that than for anything else in Cube, too. I wouldn't play that 8-mana draw spell because it doesn't affect the board (cf. Seasons Past), but I'd pay 8 mana for Cruel Ultimatum or Tooth and Nail or something.

I can buy the argument that Seasons Past is unique and more fun whereas Ever After has other cards like it, but 'Ever After is slow, Seasons Past isn't' is just untrue.

It's less that Season's Past isn't slow, and more that it's effect is more acceptable at a slower pace when compared to MTG's card library. It all depends on cube environments. If your cube doesn't have any real endgame reanimation targets and you're goal is jut to reanimate a couple of 4-5 drops for the win (like SOI limited was), then Ever After is a fine card.

Season's Past is a neat combo card for Vintage Cube, but much too slow/unreliable for me. You could even get to your sixth land drop and it might still potentially do nothing. But of course, power levels YMMV etc.

Here's a cool green draw spell I've been wanting to try.

As for Ever After, I feel the same way. I'd still go with:

I suppose I just prefer things to die when I cast my spells.

Season's Past is a neat combo card for Vintage Cube, but much too slow/unreliable for me. You could even get to your sixth land drop and it might still potentially do nothing. But of course, power levels YMMV etc.

Here's a cool green draw spell I've been wanting to try.

As for Ever After, I feel the same way. I'd still go with:

I suppose I just prefer things to die when I cast my spells.

Huh. I... kinda forgot that Victimize existed... somehow. Do you think it's worth it for more powerful cubes?

It's less that Season's Past isn't slow, and more that it's effect is more acceptable at a slower pace when compared to MTG's card library. It all depends on cube environments. If your cube doesn't have any real endgame reanimation targets and you're goal is jut to reanimate a couple of 4-5 drops for the win (like SOI limited was), then Ever After is a fine card.
This is what I was thinking earlier today while waking up for my day. The two spells both cost the same mana. But Seasons Past does what it is meant to do in the deck it wants to be in, and does it better, than Ever After does what it does where people want it to be. Getting back two super unfair creatures is overkill, as has been discussed. Getting two fair creatures is... fine, but unexciting. Getting back 4-6 kill spells, board wipes, tutors, creatures, and/or draw spells is bonkers in a control/grind style deck. A deck whose game plan is to bring the game speed down to SP's level.

I don't run either, but I'd much prefer Season's Past usually in some GBx shell. It's just a lot of card advantage if you've been trading one-for-one with removal and/or creatures. It's for the grindy matchups where you're playing at parity into the mid-late game trying to pull away and establish yourself in the driver's seat. Season's Past lets you do that by buying back your removal suite and allowing you to start casting two spells a turn again to rip apart your opponents side of the board. I also don't really run very many super unfair reanimation targets to just destroy my opponent. Getting back two efficient guys at 3 and 4 cmc is much less exciting to me than refilling my hand with usually 4-5 cards.

Shadows remastered is back on arena and I just had one of my craziest finale of a game of mtg ever.

I was {B/R} aggro/madness, lots of two drops, Olivia's Dragoons, Ravenous Bloodseeker, Gisa's Bidding and a bunch of burn spells.

I was fighting a good fight against a sultai delirium deck that drew around eight or nine extra cards from Ongoing Investigation because I couldn't block their stupid Crow of Dark Tidings and their graveyard was full enough to use the second ability too. However, I had a decent start and managed to get them down to 4 life. However, they stalled the board with two transformed Ulvenwald Abominations that, as 4/6s could eat my Insatiable Gorgers. Meh. They also used Ongoing Investiagtion again and then hardcasts an Abundant Maw, going up to 9 life.

I chump attacked with Ravenous Bloodseeker and finished it off with Incendiary Flow, they let my 2/2 through and I got them down to 7 but I didn't expect high chances to win. I even was empty handed ... Then they untap and go on to cast these two cards back to back:

I send GG, but hang on to see the spectacle. I take some damage, they mindslaver me. They draw my Bedlam Reveler, pause to think and then cast it, probably hoping to see some stuff they can do evil things with. However, they draw this:

So they just chump attack my remaining 2-drop into their eldrazi titan.

I know this will be my last turn, so I might as well see what I draw.

I draw.

I go nuts.

I tap eight lands and cast ...

for exactly the lethal seven damage.

They couldn't even activate the green ability of their Ongoing Investigation because they were so greedy to play a Lilliana that didn't do much and they tapped out doing so. It's moments like this that make magic the greatest game ever.

That was a long and complex game. I almost wish I would've filmed it to analyze (and show off). But regarding this specific situation we ended up being in in the end, Devil's Play could not have been one card higher or deeper in the deck or else I would've lost.