Sets Shadows over Innistrad Spoilers Thread

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I think on that clock I'll be all right ;)

But as far as cards that actually caught my eye from the set
[Skin Invasion]
Is this like another lust for war?
I mean how do you feel about lust for war?

I think this card is super sweet, since you can put it on stuff like bloodghast and have it do bloodghasty things, or on a creature you're about to pod away, or before you doom blade something...
All this on top of using it "as intended" to get their bear to swing into your first striker or whatever

I am hugely onboard, and I haven't actually tried lust for war, so take that with a grain of salt.

I think it's a bit weird that the creature it flips into doesn't have the "Has to attack" clause, I figured some monster that feeds on rage like this seems to would...

I made some functional proxies with cardsmith from these cards for our cube night on saturday that is after the pre-release:

12794592_10153678231018757_1485177763828995905_n.jpg
12439443_10153678232298757_9130401532472485873_n.jpg
12670693_10153678234718757_694674067319958937_n.jpg
11032365_10153678235863757_4183776536742342763_n.jpg
12919847_10153678237143757_3628959988065558563_n.jpg
12932848_10153678237378757_2572626561102828653_n.jpg
12933101_10153678237743757_3345730024510852560_n.jpg
12472569_10153678238648757_3491659344432876121_n.jpg

I will random the boosters so not a given that we see these in action, but one can only hope.
I will tell my feelings towards these cards if they see play !

Sadly those tempting flip-cards are so tedious as a proxy, so i hope i open them at the pre-releases :(

I'm much more interested in Skin Invasion after seeing it in action during LoadingReadyRun's Pre-Prerelease over the weekend. It did a ton of work. I completely glanced over it during spoilers and didn't realize that it turned into a 3/4 on flip. That's pretty sweet for a red enchantment.

Seasons past is the fast kind of slow. You'll have literally a brand new(old) hand to make the next three turns really bomb

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I really enjoy Lousy Reanimator, but Ever After is a little much, even for me. I think four mana is the realistically as expensive as you can afford for reanimation; any higher, and you're usually better off playing a run-of-the-mill five or six drop fattie.

1. Unique, powerful effect. A bit slow, but the deck that wants it is happy to Damnation or something and then take a turn off to lock the game out.

2. Slow and not worth. I'd rather reanimate a Griselbrand for 3 mana than a Gris and an Elesh Norn for 6. Most of the time.

3. Just put it in my cube. Will get back to you. It's a bit weird, b/c it has negative synergy with Peezy, but I guess you could always slow-roll this. We'll see.

4. It's not bad, but it doesn't really excite me.

Seasons Past is really deck-dependent, but as a green midrange/control/graveyard payoff tool, I'm happy to waste the slot on it over something more narrow.

Ever After has been totally great here, and I recommend it strongly for High-Fairness environments. If you support busted reanimator, it's not for you, but if you push value reanimator, even a 2-drop and a 3-drop for the cost of 1 card that's (arguably) repeatable is pretty awesome. I nearly always maindeck it and it always makes me happy to cast. Gets even funnier if you crack a fetch after casting and draw it a few turns later. I had considered if I liked it more than Living Death, and for me, the answer is a resounding yes, because breaking symmetry on Living Death can be really frustrating, and it has rarely felt that cool to play without setting up for it. As such, I'd rather just play one of my other combo win-cons, which require more exciting set-up and execution.

Sin Prodder is a bit iffy and I'm not really in love. It hasn't really had a chance to best me yet across the table, and it feels like one of those cards that's merely punishing against worse players (rather than "better in the hands of a skilled pilot"), which I don't like. The menace is -almost- redemptive, but I've been wondering about cutting it, personally.

Thing in the Ice just doesn't excite me enough to really bother trying it

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Ever After has been totally great here, and I recommend it strongly for High-Fairness environments. If you support busted reanimator, it's not for you, but if you push value reanimator, even a 2-drop and a 3-drop for the cost of 1 card that's (arguably) repeatable is pretty awesome. I nearly always maindeck it and it always makes me happy to cast. Gets even funnier if you crack a fetch after casting and draw it a few turns later. I had considered if I liked it more than Living Death, and for me, the answer is a resounding yes, because breaking symmetry on Living Death can be really frustrating, and it has rarely felt that cool to play without setting up for it. As such, I'd rather just play one of my other combo win-cons, which require more exciting set-up and execution.

Wait, people play Living Death as a reanimator card?

Geez, I thought it was just a hilarious board sweeper.

And for my environment Living Death's often an ultra bomb 5 for 1 or more, and miiiight have to go (probably not)... I have a hard time keeping it balanced. Weird that we all have such different experiences with it... o_O

I do think it's really cool though, and people get into setting it up over here. This may have to do with how closely an environment works with the GY as a resource...

I love Living Death. Leveraging it to break symmetry is a really sweet thing to build around when drafting, makes you incentivize and view looting much differently. Like 80% of the time it's a weird wrath, but the other 20% of the time it's the sweet one-sided board flip to swing you the match. Also I like how sometimes you might be setting up for it, but your opponent might force you into trades/blocks that end up making it a bad play. It's a cool sub-game if your opponent has a solid board + a sac outlet in play as well. It's been really balanced and fair in my environment.

Living Death is awesome. It can be high variance, so I am not surprised by the varying opinions on it. Sometimes it feels unfair. Other times it's a wretchedly bad exhume to the point of being unplayable (though any deck where that happens was poorly optimized for the card IMO). There is some setup involved to get the most out of it, so while it's broken in the right deck you can't just slam it into every Bx deck and have it performing at peak capacity for you. I like that about the card.

I'm a huge fan of Living Death. It's a decent base card that can backfire hilariously and (and this is the extremely important bit) ramps heavily in power level depending on the amount of work you put it. It has great synergies with sacrifice decks and cards like greater gargadon on top of it so... love it.

So, a few months after release, what do people think about

1. Awesome green card advantage. Exactly what I've been looking for for a while.
2. As the others have said, way too slow. Even in retail limited it's kind of underwhelming (I've beaten it reanimating Mindwrack Demon twice). Pass.
3. I don't run double-faced cards for logistical reasons, but if I did this card would be a slam dunk. I've had it twice in a retail limited deck and it was super fun and exactly what I'm looking for in blue.
4. I like it, but more for the stats than the ability. I was *this* close to running Boggart Brute when it was first printed, and the ability makes it less embarrassing. I have also seen it win games by itself (flip up a burn spell... die from the damage either way). So it gets to stay for now. Plus I think we need more 2C cards in our cubes as opposed to 1CC.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Why is everyone praising Seasons Past and then slamming Ever After for being 'too slow'? If the creatures in your deck are any good, Seasons Past will get them back (with one or two extras maybe) so that you can spend your next turn hoping to cast them (and you might only get to play one if their combined CMC is >6, which it should be and which is a big selling point of Ever After); Ever After gives you them RIGHT NOW and frees up your next turn for something else.

Usually Seasons Past is more like '2 or 4 or more extras', but the argument still stands. I think Ever After is very cool, and has a lot of payoff if set up right. It's called slow only cuz it reanimates a lot of turns after many reanimator spells do. I'd run it, but it competes pretty heavily with Unburial Rites, imo.

Also one card is black, and one card is green. They don't have to fit into the same space of expectations or needs.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Why is everyone praising Seasons Past and then slamming Ever After for being 'too slow'? If the creatures in your deck are any good, Seasons Past will get them back (with one or two extras maybe) so that you can spend your next turn hoping to cast them (and you might only get to play one if their combined CMC is >6, which it should be and which is a big selling point of Ever After); Ever After gives you them RIGHT NOW and frees up your next turn for something else.

Basically, seasons past is a fun, and unique, card to cast in its color, while ever after is just another value reanimator card.

This is one of those arguments that has very little to do with the actual effectiveness of the cards, and more with the emotional spikes that the cards trigger.

It depends on the power level of your cube, but in general I think it's because Ever After gives you redundant effects for extra mana that you don't want to pay. Example: I'd much rather pay 3 mana for necromancy (and that's one of the fairer reanimation spells!) and get a griselbrand or Elesh norn, grand cenobite into play than pay double that and get both. It's just unnecessary.

Edit: Another example, would you rather put concentrate in your deck, or a sorcery that draws you six cards for 8 mana? One is acceptable, the other is stone-cold unplayable.

Season's Past on the other hand gives you noncreature spells to use, which has much more flexibility. It's effect is the same cost, but it isn't a redundant version of a pre-existing effect.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
That says more about those reanimation targets than anything else. I'd rather pay 3 mana for Necromancy on Griselbrand and get 7 cards than pay double for Seasons Past to get ~4. I'd rather pay for that than for anything else in Cube, too. I wouldn't play that 8-mana draw spell because it doesn't affect the board (cf. Seasons Past), but I'd pay 8 mana for Cruel Ultimatum or Tooth and Nail or something.

I can buy the argument that Seasons Past is unique and more fun whereas Ever After has other cards like it, but 'Ever After is slow, Seasons Past isn't' is just untrue.