Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

Hmmm. It's certainly a unique effect, I'll give you that.
I don't suppose this fellow fits the bill?
Ascendant Evincar
Or maybe this, if you want it on a smaller scale?
Minister of Pain

I'm not sure the permanence, cheap cost and noncreature body of engineered plague is something you can (or should) replicate.
I don't suppose there's a spell somewhere that puts a -1/-1 counter on all your opponent's creatures?

*Research*

Well, kinda:
Contagion Engine
Not really what we were going for were we?

Engine/Evincar are too expensive for my format (I tried Engine way back, never did anything). Minister is maybe workable. I agree, the non-creature permanentness of Plague is probably too powerful, but I am drawn to its mean, probably-brokenness like a moth to a volcano.

How about this card in a more limited-esk environment (including some bouncelands)?
Flameshot
I was looking for a way too dump lands into your yard starting by turn 1(already run Magmatic Insight)

I think it's absolutely good enough to cube with, but the real question is, do you really want that in your environ/can your environ handle it?

Personally, I already find Arc Lightning really powerful in most Riptide-style cubes and excluded it from mine on the grounds that it can easily be a 3-for-1 and nullify an aggro deck's first three turns while still being flexible enough to clean up as a 2-for-1 in most any other case. I can't imagine making the spell free to be something that would actually be very healthy for an environ when 3 mana version is already a very absurd deal in most lists, but if you think your format will appreciate it, by all means, test it out.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I think it's absolutely good enough to cube with, but the real question is, do you really want that in your environ/can your environ handle it?

Personally, I already find Arc Lightning really powerful in most Riptide-style cubes and excluded it from mine on the grounds that it can easily be a 3-for-1 and nullify an aggro deck's first three turns while still being flexible enough to clean up as a 2-for-1 in most any other case. I can't imagine making the spell free to be something that would actually be very healthy for an environ when 3 mana version is already a very absurd deal in most lists, but if you think your format will appreciate it, by all means, test it out.

Not free though, pitching a Mountain is a real cost, especially in a control-oriented deck. In fact, this better in an aggro deck, giving it the option to still curve out creatures and pitch surplus mana to clear blockers out of the way. Lovely suggestion! (It's also a manaless prowess trigger, potentially leading to multiple triggers in a turn)

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
How about this card in a more limited-esk environment (including some bouncelands)?

I was looking for a way too dump lands into your yard starting by turn 1(already run Magmatic Insight)

That card is super sweet and I didn't know it existed. I would run it and worry about the consequences later, though prob make it rare? Think of it as taking a sweeper slot in your format

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Look man magic is not about winning, its about how many gnomes you can get into play. What are you a spike now? :p

Edit: Lets admire that art in more detail and swoon

451_metrognome.jpg

When I was first designing my cube, I went through every artifact ever and I dying to try and justify including it, because that art and effect are adorbs. I think we should probably just gut our cube power levels and run it as a tinker target in a U vs B cube.

Is this guy any good?

I probably overvalue manifest, but it seems like a kinda-sorta-similar effect to Evolutionary Leap, which you might say is a decent card, and it's not like someone is going to actually spend a card removing this guy, which gives him similar resilience to the Leap.

Is this guy any good?

I probably overvalue manifest, but it seems like a kinda-sorta-similar effect to Evolutionary Leap, which you might say is a decent card, and it's not like someone is going to actually spend a card removing this guy, which gives him similar resilience to the Leap.

Leap can be used to fetch one of a limited number of solid cards in a tokens+fatties deck, can be used multiple times a turn at a cheap activation cost, and guarantees a solid replacement in a well-built deck, as well as essentially blanking enemy creature removal. A 2/2 manifest though? That could be a facedown, necessary removal piece, Planeswalker, artifact, or even an ETB creature that could be getting wasted on a bear? No. No way. Pass.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Not to mention that Qarsi High Priest has a fragile, useless body, which makes it much easier to remove than Leap, and, more importantly, has an activation cost of two mana, making it a lot harder to keep open mana to nullify a removal spell.

The thing with Sultai Emissary (compared to say Carrier Thrall) is that it's a 1/1 at first which means that it wont really trade and even with some sacrifice synergies it's more likely to be a late 2/2 than anything else.