Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

I believe I have played a cube with parallel thoughts available. The one time I witnessed it played the owner simply got seven lands and drew maybe one more the rest of the game. I don't think I'd say a "fixed" selective memory at 5 is good, but it was certainly weird/neat.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I didn't know about that card. Onslaught block was the block I sat out, so it's a bit of a blur. Around Torment my parents threatened to cut their financial support of my study. Rightfully so, because, frankly, I was spending their money on Magic cards instead of on my study. Come Fifth Dawn I earned enough money with a lousy side job to pay for my own cards, and by then I had learned that buying boosters wasn't the most efficient way of collecting the cards I "needed" for my decks.

this card seems like something that plays into a number of themes like dredging and sacrifice and is really tricky thanks to the flash, how much would you have to enable this card to be able to slot it in?

Chris Taylor

Contributor

this card seems like something that plays into a number of themes like dredging and sacrifice and is really tricky thanks to the flash, how much would you have to enable this card to be able to slot it in?

3 for a pair of bears is not too bad. Like Wakedancer, but adding flash and a ton of upside.

Maybe this is better though?

Hm, yes, I would say so, but its narrower in that its only creatures that have died this turn and not just "put into your graveyard" so it requires something to die before its turned and can end up being a dead card either during play or during the draft? It probably depends on how far you want to push that particular theme, in case of you wanting a really sweet pay off card then fresh meat is probably better and more explosive but claws is a bit safer I think.

Edit: Wow need to learn how to read old cards, I was convinced it was into your graveyard from anywhere. Maybe I'll have to make an errata.. my bad!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Hm, yes, I would say so, but its narrower in that its only creatures that have died this turn and not just "put into your graveyard" so it requires something to die before its turned and can end up being a dead card either during play or during the draft? It probably depends on how far you want to push that particular theme, in case of you wanting a really sweet pay off card then fresh meat is probably better and more explosive but claws is a bit safer I think.

Edit: Wow need to learn how to read old cards, I was convinced it was into your graveyard from anywhere. Maybe I'll have to make an errata.. my bad!

The Caller is a way better card I think, it means a lot that it is one mana cheaper. You need 8 creatures to die before Fresh Meat produces as much power per mana spent as Caller of the Claw, and needless to say it's a lot easier to keep 3 up than it is to keep 4 mana available.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Caller is far better and also goes really nicely with stuff like Restoration Angel or Makeshift Mannequin. It's a wonderful card.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
The Caller is a way better card I think, it means a lot that it is one mana cheaper. You need 8 creatures to die before Fresh Meat produces as much power per mana spent as Caller of the Claw, and needless to say it's a lot easier to keep 3 up than it is to keep 4 mana available.

The advantage of fresh meat is that it triggers off of tokens being sacrificed. Outside of that type of interaction, I agree caller is the better card.

CML

Contributor

i dunno, it's a low-power option which means that there probably won't be many sweepers in the environment. green 3's do need a little extra help though since i run the 2/2 that finds a basic land at sorcery speed and will probably never take it out, hehe

(reads thread)

ahhhhh it's good with pod. i like it and will start running it right away

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor

how does this card go for people

Since I posted the Laboratory maniac deck, I figured I would go back and provide an update for this card.

So far, i.m.o, its at its best when you run it in a beat down deck with a lower than average number of mana sources. The altar lets you convert early drops into higher CC creatures. For example, its a way to get adarkar valkyrie in play for a deck that would normally struggle with a 6CC spell.

I never knew ashnod's altar was a huge combo enabler in casual magic. I don't think I have any killer combos for it; however, all I could find online were references to nim deathmantle combos, so who knows.

Its a cool sacrifice outlet, if not anything else.

does anyone have any experience with this card as a sort of tinker or goblin welder variant?

It reads really well. I want it for an artifact cube if I am running one. I also want a list of good artifacts with great activated abilities so I can make that m15 red dude better. Preferably some good stuff at every point in the curve. Cheap artifact creatures are a big plus.

Since I posted the Laboratory maniac deck, I figured I would go back and provide an update for this card.

So far, i.m.o, its at its best when you run it in a beat down deck with a lower than average number of mana sources. The altar lets you convert early drops into higher CC creatures. For example, its a way to get adarkar valkyrie in play for a deck that would normally struggle with a 6CC spell.

I never knew ashnod's altar was a huge combo enabler in casual magic. I don't think I have any killer combos for it; however, all I could find online were references to nim deathmantle combos, so who knows.
It was the bomb back in the nineties with four nether shadows.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I just made the following swaps because I thought the new cards might
be more interesting.

>
>

Now Shriekmaw is the only black card left in my cube that kills on entering the battlefield. Am I insane?

Was it you who talked about having slower cards that give very very real advantages and value only after connecting? These seem to fit that really well.

This one too maybe?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
No, for lower powered cubes, I think having only one ETB Terror guy is about the right number. That's actually where I'm at now, too.

I recently took out Deadeye Navigator because it was near unbeatable once it hit the table. I guess that says something about both the power of my cube and the density of my etb guys. Cutting back on those is probably the right move, but it still feels weird.

Was it you who talked about having slower cards that give very very real advantages and value only after connecting? These seem to fit that really well.

This one too maybe?

I think it was Anotak maybe? But the Flamespeaker is indeed in my cube. I think the only other two cards in that category that I cube are Brago, King Eternal and Edric, Spymaster of Trest.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I recently took out Deadeye Navigator because it was near unbeatable once it hit the table. I guess that says something about both the power of my cube and the density of my etb guys. Cutting back on those is probably the right move, but it still feels weird.

I think it was Anotak maybe? But the Flamespeaker is indeed in my cube. I think the only other two cards in that category that I cube are Brago, King Eternal and Edric, Spymaster of Trest.

That was generic zero and I, though ironically I started running cards like that in part because of your posts defending liliana's reaver. I like those changes, especially King Macar. What kind of deck do you imagine playing it?

I think running just shriekmaw is fine. I went to the extreme of cutting those effects completly and haven't really missed them.

Flamespeaker has been really fun over here.