Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

I've seen it do real work in limited and in peasant. Frankly I'm not too sure about it either, but it feels narrow enough to have issues in most higher power level cubes. I get the feeling anyone who supports too many graveyard aggro decks or the counters theme might like it though.

The leftover creature is pretty huge though right? Maybe enchantments theme likes it for all the pacifism and chains cards they run? Paralyze a guy, Cannibalize the next one?

Lots of variance depending on what you're up against. It could either be really great (Exile your Thrun, the Last Troll, have a 3/3 Elvish Mystic!) or really bad when you're up against multiple threats that are equally as oppressive or just someone Voltron-ing. Still, I could see the benefits of getting rid of something harmful that you just can't deal with early (say an Abyssal Persecutor) and making the concession of powering up something else. Seems about right for black.

But yeah I agree, it's really dependent on what you support. It's basically a sideboard card most of the time.

The wording gets around having to target the creatures, you're just "choosing" two of them. Kinda like how proliferate works if you had something with shroud on it. The wording doesn't explicitly target so it's a workaround. I didn't find anything else to the contrary on gatherer or Googling for a bit so I think it's legit.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
The wording gets around having to target the creatures, you're just "choosing" two of them. Kinda like how proliferate works if you had something with shroud on it. The wording doesn't explicitly target so it's a workaround. I didn't find anything else to the contrary on gatherer or Googling for a bit so I think it's legit.
"Choose two target creatures controlled by the same player. Exile one of those creatures and put two +1/+1 counters on the other."

I hate to be right, because the card would be awesome if it got around hexproof, but the word target is right there in its Oracle text.

How many hexproof/shroud finishers are there in smaller cubes though? I've only played in a handful of cubes, but the only two that come to mind are Thrun and Inkwell Leviathan.

Damn, I really wish it was just "Choose two creatures controlled by any one player". Would have been so sweet.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
How many hexproof/shroud finishers are there in smaller cubes though? I've only played in a handful of cubes, but the only two that come to mind are Thrun and Inkwell Leviathan.

Damn, I really wish it was just "Choose two creatures controlled by any one player". Would have been so sweet.

Oh, not too many, but I don't think I'ld want to run this in cube anyway. There are a lot of annoying creatures in commander that I could axe with this though had it been targeted removal ;)

Laz

Developer
It looked sweet 2AM last night when I read it as "Choose two creatures". But now it's just ass and terrible and I'm full of regret. This feeling is familiar.

Also, it's interesting when looking back on old cards and seeing all the cool names that they used up on cards that suck.

'Choose two creatures...' and 'Two target creatures...' are much the same if you limit the number of hexproof/shrouded creatures in your cube. I am down to 0 at the moment with no regrets.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Me too, I avoided both hexproof and permanent protection in my cube since it's inception. I would like to make room for some shroud creatures though, shroud is a fine mechanic.

CML

Contributor
It looked sweet 2AM last night when I read it as "Choose two creatures". But now it's just ass and terrible and I'm full of regret. This feeling is familiar.

Also, it's interesting when looking back on old cards and seeing all the cool names that they used up on cards that suck.

hey, at least cards used to have cool names

CML

Contributor
Pretty sure the M15 design file for black required them to use as many variations on "mean bully" as possible.

while alphabetizing our cards for GP Portland we found green was "middle-of-the-alphabet heavy," while black had a strong "necromancer's" theme

81730.jpg

Laz

Developer
Oh yeah, WHAT. "Shaman".. Shaman how? Its a Wizard, WotC!

Wizards create zombies, illusions, Thrulls, and the occasional Demon.
Shamans do the vast majority of the summoning though, mostly of Plant Elementals (Saprolings), but have a good record with real Elementals (Rakka Mar, Satyr Nyx-Smith).
Then again, Master of Waves.

You only say he is a Wizard because he looks like a funky modern street magician. He could be all about getting down with nature on the weekends.