Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
What does this actually do? I looked up the Rock Lobster lyrics to find the joke. I feel considerably enlightened, but not about this issue.

It says no to Scissors Lizard. I admit, a shallow joke :p

I'm now googling Rock Lobster lyrics...

Edit: Apparently B52's Rock Lobster reach number 1 in Canada. What a weird country...

Baleful Strix is one of my favourite cards.
I know why it isn't in standard, that's just humane, but I have to wonder about what she'd be like in modern. Maybe I should ask caleb to do a banned series on it because boy is there a gaping hole where a UB deck could be.

Anyway how does everyone feel about very powerful / efficient gold cards, how does their saturation warp a format, do you find yourself supporting archetypes discreetly with your gold selection?

CML

Contributor
Baleful Strix is one of my favourite cards.
I know why it isn't in standard, that's just humane, but I have to wonder about what she'd be like in modern. Maybe I should ask caleb to do a banned series on it because boy is there a gaping hole where a UB deck could be.

Anyway how does everyone feel about very powerful / efficient gold cards, how does their saturation warp a format, do you find yourself supporting archetypes discreetly with your gold selection?

i threw in a cruel ultimatum for the lulz. if you're gonna throw in a 3-color card, i think it has to have that kind of impact to be worth a slot. the problem is (per the cfb vid) there is no 3-color card with the impact of cruel.

the RB section was (probably still is) mainly hybrid for devotion

there are a bunch of gold green cards to support the "green deck" archetype

Chris Taylor

Contributor
i threw in a cruel ultimatum for the lulz. if you're gonna throw in a 3-color card, i think it has to have that kind of impact to be worth a slot. the problem is (per the cfb vid) there is no 3-color card with the impact of cruel.

the RB section was (probably still is) mainly hybrid for devotion

there are a bunch of gold green cards to support the "green deck" archetype

I've got Malestrom Wanderer and Wild Nacatl, though Nacatl is somewhat cheritably a 3 color card, and malestrom wander certainly can wiff

Given that cruel is a 7 mana ~8 for 1, that's probably best

CML

Contributor
I've got Malestrom Wanderer and Wild Nacatl, though Nacatl is somewhat cheritably a 3 color card, and malestrom wander certainly can wiff

Given that cruel is a 7 mana ~8 for 1, that's probably best

yeah i don't get the whole maelstrom wanderer thing. fatties are already pretty narrow. 8-mana fatties are really narrow. 8-mana fatties in 3 colors are narrower still. 8-mana fatties in 3 colors that aren't all that powerful are yet narrower. 8-mana fatties in 3 colors that aren't all that powerful and that you can't reanimate are not even close to being worth a slot in most cubes on here.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Wanderer is the ultimate timmy card. There are a million excellent reasons not to run it and those reasons are all correct, but the guilty pleasure of resolving a wanderer is just too much.

I mean, this is one of its popular comments on gatherer:

This is possible, although very, very improbable, in EDH:

Turn 1: Island, Sol Ring

Turn 2: Forest, Oracle of Mul Daya, Mountain

Turn 3: Any land, Temple of the False God, Maelstrom Wanderer, cascade into Boundless Realms and Avenger of Zendikar, grab 5 lands, Invigorate for the alternate cost and attack for exactly 43 and the kill.

CML

Contributor
Wanderer is the ultimate timmy card. There are a million excellent reasons not to run it and those reasons are all correct, but the guilty pleasure of resolving a wanderer is just too much.

I mean, this is one of its popular comments on gatherer:

haha, sure, why not!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Well... Raise the Alarm is much better if you run Isochron Scepter. It's also in a color that cares more about anthem effects, though Rabblemaster, Hellrider, Alpha Orcish Oriflamme and Siege-Gang Commander are nice interactions.

These are all fine cards that get along great with hellrider, bombardment etc and I recommend you try running more weenie cans instead of unexciting white 2-3 drops. and maybe some red ones too. Original costed orcish offlamy or whatever it's called is a great add. Might even make red decks better at blocking...