Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
More broadly, are any of the tap to do damage to attackers/blockers cuberific? Cards like Heavy Ballista and Ballista Squad were all stars in their respective draft formats, but I don't think those abilities translate well into most cubes.

Brigid, Hero of Kinsbaile is the Cadillac of these effects and probably not a card most people are interested in, but of course it costs the dreaded 4 mana.

Expendable troops is a reasonable retail draft card in a slot you probably want a reasonably large number of cards, but particularly in a world without damage on the stack its never going to do anything that interesting and would likely be taking a spot from one of the many similar cards that would do more interesting things. I think if you wanted to go for a low power cube that emphasized complicated combat math, it could be a decent pick as cards like Ballista Squad would be too powerful for that sort of format, but I'm not sure what other cubes would prefer it to its comparables.

Isn't this blue looting debate more appropriate for Fight Club?

Also, I love Jeskai Elder. Pushes blue aggro & Prowess is a fine mechanic. Average blue deck will get to trigger it at LEAST two times.

it was OK in draft
I remember loving that thing in draft when damage stacked, it was also kinda okay in a tribal cube soldier deck but vigilance was easy to get. I think I have a copy in my peasant list but it's kinda not amazing.

Jeskai elder seems great if you are doing some sort of devotion theme or tradewind oppo deck thing. Headhunters are good in the right environment, but that environment usually isn't draft right? lol

catapult squad plus mobilization is a cool combo right?
Yeah one of my first constructed decks was essentially this. It really wasn't amazing but like I was an idiot back then.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor

This is one of those cases where being a creature makes the card worse.

I'm sure there is a cube deck that can leverage this, but I'm not 100% what deck it is.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Ok, I wasn't necessarily looking for a mana creature, more for something for the green deck to do on turn 1 (which is usually playing a mana dork). Ultimately I put in

I'm curious how that will perform!

Isn't this spending a card to maybe get +1/+1 counters? How many +1/+1 counters are worth a card? How many +1/+1 counters does the average cube deck expect to have and how often will it draw the right combination of them? How many decks in your cube want more +1/+1 counters?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
If it puts two counters on your creatures, I think you're breaking even. If it puts on more, you're doing really well for yourself. It's such a low mana card, but I think it can an be quite ridiculous in the right deck.

I think retribution has potential but can easily get unfun in any cube it works well in. I think I'd want my scale thing to cantrip or something to play it in cube.

I made a card that put a 1/1 counter on a creature and drew a card for hybrid green and white mana and hardly anyone on here or salvation thought they'd cube it.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Thanks. Scales should be at its best in a slower environment full of +1/+1 counters. If it can't shine in KTK draft, I doubt it can shine in my cube.
Scales seems to be decent in my cube, but I have an many more creatures and effects than Khans draft that make +1/+1 counters. If you start at CC1 and support it all the way up the curve, I think it can work.