Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

I just reminded myself.

Resolute Archangel exists.

I hate that card.

The design is terrible & all it does reliably is hose aggro in the dumbest way.

Why did they do this?

Why are all angels female & demons are male?

Why can't we have ONE female demon?

Why is WotC so sexist & discreetly racist & puritanical?

Why are Angels so much better than Sphinxes, dragons, demons, & hydras on average?

Why do people want treefolk for green's iconic over hydras?

Who the hell honestly thinks angels are so cool they should hands down be better & more flexible in design than ANY OTHER ICONIC?

I. Hate. Angels.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I love Resolute Archangel. I think if it hoses aggro in your cube, you are running too much artifact ramp.

Also, Lady Orca is a fly girl! ;)

Honestly though, I don't think MtG's demons have a gender like humans do. MtG pretty much follows the trope. (Word of warning: that site is addictive!)

I get that there aren't any actual human genders among the two, but we have seen 2 male angels & one female demon that as far as I know wasn't going to be a demon at all for the first few years it was around. Not to mention the art is horrible.

Why aren't succubi a thing in MtG? Normally I would dismiss that question with "obv cuz they're too sex related", but you see them in almost every fantasy game now. Even the more family-friendly ones here & there.

WotC is too conservative maybe?

Seems to be the case, sadly...

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
How is Resolute Archangel in cube, anyways? I threw one into my latest order, but I have no idea if I'll actually go through with running it.

I love it. I saw a game where one player was slowly wittling away his opponent's life total with Gray Merchant, Necromancy on Gray Merchant, Phyrexian Metamorph on Grey Merchant. Then the turn before he actually amassed enough attack power to suicide for the final points of damage, said player topdecked his seventh land with a triumphant smile and added a 4/4 flyer to the board, while recouping to a comfortable 20. The other player just laughed in disbelief: "It does what? But, but, one turn!" It doesn't always work, it is seven mana after all, and you could be long dead before you got to seven, but when it does there's a warm and fuzzy feeling in at least one player's tummy. :)

But isnt that really strong argument for there not being any play to it? Like its literally top deck it and your back? (the fact that you have to maneuver to 7 mana aside)

Exactly. It basically says "hey, you know all that hard work you did? Rather than taking steps to cleverly undo some of it & execute my own plan, we're just gonna wipe most of the slate clean & I get a 4/4 flier. Oh, does that upset you? Too bad. I'm feeling pretty good. I just solved a whole lot of problems with my life total being too low in one play. No effort required. That's the kind of magic I like."

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
There are numerous insane topdecks in cube that get you back from a lost spot, it's kind of the nature of the format. The card feels appropriately epic for its cost. It's also a heck of a plant for control decks, without being overpowered. A 4/4 flyer is decent, but not at seven mana, and the other effect is "just" lifegain. When was the last time you saw a playable purely lifegain card? Exactly. I think WotC did a pretty neat job on this one.

I actually play resolute archangel in standard. Every single person I have played it against has had to read it. I also feel the iconic is given a fair amount of very heavy-handed cards with only dragons coming close to their amount/quality of pushed power level.

If it's any consolation my local judge let me know that the "your life total becomes" line actually means "you gain life equal to the difference..." so Erebos still blocks the angel. Luckily I decided to ask in time to get rid of him before dropping her.

Also flavor text / sword hilt is neat, but only being a 4/4 makes me feel like she should look more like a caster than a generic battle angel.

I feel like there's a tradeoff between how geared they are and how powerful they are- Serra Angel has no "real" abilities except combat so she should look armored for battle- this one regenerates her summoner completely! She should at least have some kind of Angel of Glory's Rise magic or even a seraph of dawn 'casting' pose, not "I'MA CUT YOU"

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
True that, but the "casteriness" does not depend on her being a 4/4, it depends on her ostensibly casting some kind of healing spell.

Laz

Developer
7-drops are a great way to ranch foundry street denizen it is true

I was playing against a Sligh deck the other day and I realised that with Elspeth out I was basically getting the equivilent of three cards from their deck every turn. It was glorious.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Well, between Elspeth and Resolute Archangel I know who the bigger evil is in stymying aggro decks... Hint: It's not the lifegain card and that has as much to do with the fact that she's a six drop as with her other qualities.

i feel that if you're looking for cards that stymie aggro decks, they won't be the 6 or 7 drop. look at cause, not effect