Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

I don't really go out of my way to support Agent of Bolas and he's been fine/great; I am one of the guys still running Signets around here so that has something to do with it. Even if he's "just" a 4 mana 5/5 with haste (in UB...) that's pretty solid.

Good stuff. And yeah, I do run a mini-RB sacrifice theme so Sarkhan should slot in pretty nicely. I think I might just have a rotating cast of Walkers in the gold slots and depending on who is in the Cube for a given draft, I'll plug in like one or two complementary cards.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Good stuff. And yeah, I do run a mini-RB sacrifice theme so Sarkhan should slot in pretty nicely. I think I might just have a rotating cast of Walkers in the gold slots and depending on who is in the Cube for a given draft, I'll plug in like one or two complementary cards.

He's pretty great for turning hellspark elementals and gravecrawlers into 5/5s, but not much else. A little narrow, but I have seen that ult kill someone, which is nice :D

FlowerSunRain

Contributor

A) Good
B) Good for a lower power environment
C) Good if you support it (Grave Value, etc)
D) Pretty much crap everywhere

I'm a fairly big fan of Jace, Architect of Thought but the newest Jace supports graveyard value, which I'm currently pushing. I'm afraid, though, that the power level is too low. Interestingly, his bounce can be really good against enchanted dudes and his ult comes a turn faster, but his main value ability is just plain glacial for a 4 mana sorcery speed card. Is being a merfolk-loot-a-war good enough?

A) Good

I'm a fairly big fan of Jace, Architect of Thought but the newest Jace supports graveyard value, which I'm currently pushing. I'm afraid, though, that the power level is too low. Interestingly, his bounce can be really good against enchanted dudes and his ult comes a turn faster, but his main value ability is just plain glacial for a 4 mana sorcery speed card. Is being a merfolk-loot-a-war good enough?

Also 2 devotion to blue!!!!!

Architect of Thought is great so I'm loathe to give this Jace a slot. He isn't the worst and fueling graveyard shenanigans is cool. Still too slow for most I'd guess.

A) Good

I think he's okay if B, C, and E) You have an environment where bouncing a permanent is frequently relevant (Creature enchantments, +1/+1 counters...something). But you really need all those to come together.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor

Due to the constellation effects in my cube, bouncing enchantments are extremely solid picks. Recurring Nightmare is obviously one of those cards that is just absurd on its own. Whenever I read a comment about a card saying its "Great with recurring nightmare" as a selling point, I wonder why in the world anyone would want to make this card any better. Anyway, is this a usable version of the card:

Change cost to {B}, have the creature return to hand.

This gives us, effectively, raise dead with a mandatory buyback of sacrifice a creature. The card still abuses the crap out of etb effects, but you actually have to pay the appropriate mana cost to use them.

?

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I do play phyrexian reclamation, but its still hard to compare.

It seems to be in the same ballpark, though, unless I'm missing something.

Due to the constellation effects in my cube, bouncing enchantments are extremely solid picks. Recurring Nightmare is obviously one of those cards that is just absurd on its own. Whenever I read a comment about a card saying its "Great with recurring nightmare" as a selling point, I wonder why in the world anyone would want to make this card any better. Anyway, is this a usable version of the card:

Change cost to {B}, have the creature return to hand.

This gives us, effectively, raise dead with a mandatory buyback of sacrifice a creature. The card still abuses the crap out of etb effects, but you actually have to pay the appropriate mana cost to use them.

?

Make the activated ability only anytime you could play a sorcery and I think you've got a winner.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
2{B}
Enchantment

Sacrifice a creature, Return Recurring Nightmare to its owner's hand: Return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield your hand. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.

2{B}
Enchantment

Sacrifice a creature, Return Recurring Nightmare to its owner's hand: Return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield your hand. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.

Make it...

Sacrifice a creature: Return Recurring Nightmare to your hand and target creature card from your graveyard to your hand. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.

EDIT: And it's still probably broken, that's how retarded the unedited version is.

EDIT 2: I took Recurring Nightmare out of my cube because it required no effort to win with it. Here is how you make a Recurring Nightmare deck that wins: Draft Recurring Nightmare.