Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

I think it's fine but the games aren't particularly great. Like Baneslayer is a removal check on turn 5 whereas Madskillz is a removal check on turn 2-3. Not really sure I'd want either in for the long term though I don't mind having them cycle through.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I do kind of appreciate Madcap as a cog in the WR doublestrike theme that can do work elsewhere.

Hey custom people, design a 1-drop with doublestrike that isn't broken.

But not this one.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Craven Killer {B/R}
Creature - Human Assassin
Double strike
Whenever Craven Killer deals first strike damage, it deals that much damage to you.
1/1

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Craven Killer {B/R}
Creature - Human Assassin
Double strike
Whenever Craven Killer deals first strike damage, it deals that much damage to you.
1/1

Flesh reaver does not a good creature make :p
Edit: Jeez, only first strike damage? That's not OP, just super unintuitive

Kird Legionnaire {R}
As long as you control a plains, ~ gains double strike and gets +0/+1
1/1

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Ruthless Butcher {R}
Creature - Human Barbarian
Double strike
Whenever Ruthless Butcher deals combat damage to an opponent, it deals that much damage to each other creature you control.
2/1

Firefury-Fist Ascetic {R}
Creature - Human Monk
Prowess, double strike
-1/2

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I like it, but the toughness boost seems a little random. I mean, I get it, but....

It can leave. I just felt kird ape was a 2/3, so why not :p

Ruthless Butcher {R}
Creature - Human Barbarian
Double strike
Whenever Ruthless Butcher deals combat damage to an opponent, it deals that much damage to each other creature you control.
2/1

Firefury-Fist Ascetic {R}
Creature - Human Monk
Prowess, double strike
-1/2

1) Sweet Jesus Burn
2) this guy's power can probably be 0. See kiln fiend

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Has anyone had any experience with this card in limited (cube or otherwise?)

I'm weary of the hexproof part, so I'ld like to know if this is an unconquerable monster or if the two mana is just the right amount of activation cost to give your opponent the occasional window to off it.

I like to have some large-ish finisher-type in each color pair, and originally it was spiritmonger for me, who proved relatively unkillable, and this wasn't much better. Green has the edicts and a couple of the exile effects so you exempting wraths you kind of have to be playing a deck that is able to kill it to play it (same fallacy with sphinx of the steel wind), which is just awful. I've settled on Varolz being the big man on golgari's campus- powerful but a lot easier to deal with / more interesting gameplay and lines.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Has anyone had any experience with this card in limited (cube or otherwise?)

I'm weary of the hexproof part, so I'ld like to know if this is an unconquerable monster or if the two mana is just the right amount of activation cost to give your opponent the occasional window to off it.

Spiritmonger for the modern age. 9/10, would run. Activated hexproof is in no way annoying once you realize it's like regeneration but worse.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I think I want to give it a shot sometime, too. It's among the midrangiest cards to ever midrange a midrange, but sometimes that's what black and green are all about.

5 toughness makes it both attractive but simultaneously an issue. Probably a good thing, though. I'm just a whiny red mage who hates toughness > 4 at below 5 mana.

Final Fortune has been in my cube since the beginning, and is a great "story" card. I have at least 2 people who would kill me if I ever took it out -- it's their favorite card in the cube. As far as actual quality, it can be decent in a fair number of situations, but it's probably not a top pick. It seems to work well with burn strategies in my cube.

Final Fortune has been in my cube since the beginning, and is a great "story" card. I have at least 2 people who would kill me if I ever took it out -- it's their favorite card in the cube. As far as actual quality, it can be decent in a fair number of situations, but it's probably not a top pick. It seems to work well with burn strategies in my cube.

For our group, most of us do pushups after each game equal to life lost. Final Fortune has been used several times in a lost game to avoid pushups and deliver more pushups to a hapless loser.

Sure, you might lose, but it feels like a win when you're doing six pushups while the winner's doing 17.

Oh, and it's also won a handful of games. Probably not worth a spot in most cubes on its own merits, but it sure can be fun.

Two cards that I might be able to trade for later in the week and would be interested in running some time:

I've never run Sarkhan in anything but I've seen him in a few lists here, how good is he? As for Tezz, what should I be including to enable him further?

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Sarkhan the Mad is fantastic, if you're not aggressively power-maxing (e.g. he's straight up worse than either Olivia Voldaren or Falkenrath Aristocrat, on raw power). He's both fun to play with and against, and while he can take over games, he isn't anywhere close to oppressive. Bonus points if you have a sacrifice theme!

I tried the Tezzeret experiment, and wasn't a huge fan, but other people seem to have had success with him. At the very least, I think you want a) a package of three artifact lands in the utility draft that can be picked together, b) some suitable artifact finishers - Batterskull, Steel Hellkite, and Myr Battlesphere come to mind, and c) a bunch of cheap utility artifacts, like Executioner's Capsule. The latter pairs well with Trinket Mage, too.

Seems like a "one card" deck that needs your cube to meet the requirement of having quite a few good artifacts at every point on the curve.