Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

Probably. Cataclysm becomes more busted when the cards that you leave behind are more capable of carrying you to victory on their own. This includes army in a can types ala Rabblemaster/Hero of Bladehold or continuous sources of card advantage like walkers.
You can't leave a planeswalker behind with cataclysm.

You can't leave a planeswalker behind with cataclysm.

You're right, I was thinking of Tragic Arrogance. I still think Cataclysm is pretty busted in stronger environment if you get ahead and stick a hard to deal with threat before minimizing the resources on both sides. Too hard to crawl back from.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb

I was doing a strange "all sets ever" draft on Forge, which is a cool way to see some old cards, and I came across this clone variant I didn't really know. The thing that took me by surprise is that the p/t setting ability doesn't end at end of turn! I made some pretty cool plays and it seemed like a high impact clone. Not as good as Vizier of Many Faces perhaps, but maybe worth considering?

I was doing a strange "all sets ever" draft on Forge, which is a cool way to see some old cards, and I came across this clone variant I didn't really know. The thing that took me by surprise is that the p/t setting ability doesn't end at end of turn! I made some pretty cool plays and it seemed like a high impact clone. Not as good as Vizier of Many Faces perhaps, but maybe worth considering?

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member

I keep trying to figure out why I see so many Riptide lists running Stoneforge Mystic. I get it, she's iconic, she's powerful, and I'd love an excuse to sleeve up my Grand Prix Promo version. But is she really worth running in a cube that only runs a Bonesplitter or two and a Grafted Wargear? Maaaybe a Batterskull but that feels like a long shot to get the two together in the same deck since it's such an easy p1p1. I guess Stoneforge would wheel pretty consistently when your drafters realize you don't run swords. Is she a pet card or does she not require as much of a critical mass of equipment as I think she does?

Mystic is still really good even just to find Bonesplitter. In my format she's finding:

And my group seems to have the understanding that there won't be anything more bonkers than that, but it'll still be a good tutor effect.

Can definitely see that it'd have weird signals though.

Mystic is still really good even just to find Bonesplitter. In my format she's finding:

And my group seems to have the understanding that there won't be anything more bonkers than that, but it'll still be a good tutor effect.

Can definitely see that it'd have weird signals though.

I see a lot of people running Heirloom Blade but my creature types are so all over the place I'm not sure how it would work for me. How does it play out in a cube without any tribal support?

Heirloom Blade has been on the chopping block for me for a while, I can't recall a single instance it made it out of a sideboard. It's been a card I've been meaning to force so I can get in a few reps with it before I make a verdict. Bloodforged Battle-axe has some cool synergies in the cube but I usually wish it was just another Bonesplitter most of the time. Anyone have cool Battle-axe stories?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I just run two Bonesplitters and have been very happy with that. Other than Bonesplitter, there's only one other equipment I have been really happy with, and that is... (drum roll please)

Good early on as a Vulshok Morningstar + equip for {3} or a Vulshok Battlegear + equip for {4}, great as a late game mana sink.

Besides that, Lightning Greaves has been decent, but a little bit of a removal check in certain decks. All other equipment I tested was either too strong or swingy for my taste (e.g. Grafted Wargear, Loxodon Warhammer), or too weak or conditional (e.g. Heirloom Blade, Lashwrite).

Two others that are really close to playable for me, though, are.

I haven't been overly impressed with Heirloom Blade either, tbh. Whenever I get my hands on a copy, I'll likely try out

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I haven't been overly impressed with Heirloom Blade either, tbh. Whenever I get my hands on a copy, I'll likely try out
It's cute, but 1.05 4/4 fliers is a lot. Since it basically gives no evasion (by design) it's rather (heh) feast or famine

What for? Just to make sure there is another copy that sigh can't get his hands on?

That seems a little mean :p

More like a gift for Sigh. He couldn’t get his hands on it so i got him one ;)

Okay yours was funnier.

Seriously:
Sigh you can have mine for free if I decide to cut it from my cube. However testing will take at least 2018 and entire 2019 as well.

Sword of D&D is great. We've had a blast with it.

Wait wait wait...so this card isn't oppressive nonsense? I pulled one in my first and only unstable draft and won every game because I kept drawing it. I love the art and flavor of it but I assumed it would be abhorred in these forums for being too "I win" once you manage to connect for the first time.

Wait wait wait...so this card isn't oppressive nonsense? I pulled one in my first and only unstable draft and won every game because I kept drawing it. I love the art and flavor of it but I assumed it would be abhorred in these forums for being too "I win" once you manage to connect for the first time.

I need to get more drafts with it to get a bigger sample size but so far I don't believe it was won the majority of games where it was played. It doesn't give any evasion at all so it can get chumped by tokens and a kill spell can hold off the dragons, unlike with black bordered swords. I've seen someone come back from it connecting with a sweeper. I've also seen it connect then get destroyed by Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund (which I run over similar cards for meme value).

Idk, I'll remove it when it gets oppressive but maybe I'm just at a high enough power level with my tokens and removal and don't have a lot of evasive creatures.

So I think BoP might be too good for my cube but it seems pretty ubiquitous around here so I'm interested in hearing people's thoughts about efficient ramp/color fixing in green. What archetypes does BoP actually help support? Besides like giving Gx midrange a way to have explosive draws sometimes and to let them splash more colors. People with similar cubes to mine seem to run it so maybe I'm just being paranoid about fast mana.