Card/Deck Start your Engines: A Temur Card Advantage Deck

Moved over from the cool control thread:

Please note that this thread has by and large taken a sharp left turn for multiple reasons. Overall, the focus has shifted to the {R}{G} pair, in order to eventually set up a robust archetype for re-investigating this overall concept. See this spot in the thread for when that really takes off.

So I've been obsessing over the thought-provoking gem gifts ungiven since this thread got churning, and I think I've gotten a pretty cool mental space built around it. To preface, my main criteria was finding cards and angles that are solid and playable on their own. This was priority #1, as creating poison in an environment is bad news bears. Priority #2 was finding cool secondary interactions outside of the scope of what I was initially seeking. I actually think I was pretty successful, and without further ado, my thoughts made tangible:

What I came up with at the culmination of my notes, probing thread questions, and gatherer searches wasn't just a subset of cards... it was an archetype, a scheme, a strategy. It was a deck, that in my head has been

START YOUR ENGINES ({U}{G}{R})

Now, kinda corny name aside, it is entirely descriptive of what I came up with. In general terms, I found that with a few card switches you get an incredible number of advantage engines built into the temur colors. The deck/archetype I built up is largely an amalgam of these. The goal is to collect and utilize advantage engines to overwhelm your opponent. In this way the deck is largely control-based, being focused on winning through card and velocity advantage built up far beyond your opponent, but doing so through a variety of repetitive value-loops. Gifts comes in as a way to tutor out and assemble various engine pieces, alongside the rest of the draw suite the deck would have for this purpose. Its an extremely important piece of the deck, but not 100% needed (hopefully). So here's some of the components of the archetype:

The Engines:
+
+
+
+
+
+

And so on (?). I realized that a lot of these engines were just one step away from being in cubes already, and generally speaking the cards themselves are of fine power levels in a vacuum. There are certain cards less useful than others, but so is life, I think. Where I ended up coming to is the premise that these engines are fine in individual units. Even talked about thoroughly in threads other than and including this one! But together. Together they all add value to each other for a mean machine of advantage. The deck plan becomes one that harkens back to when two+ combos were first jammed in constructed decks (dark depths combo and... something else). A game plan of overlapping and synergistic value, leading to more consistency on individual plans, and more backup plans in general. Some examples would be Trade Routes adding value and redundancy to the loam/vortex plan, or daretti engine + goggles deck.

How would the deck play out? As I'll be going over, probably mostly like a RUG value-control deck would. Early defensive plays, disruption with burn, countermagic, draw, but a glue of multiple individual synergies stacked up. This is what gives the Gifts plan its power. What engine are you really tutoring up? What pieces do you already have? What recursion might you get/have that makes the point of the piles moot? Below imma get into some of the most important elements my mental machinations have come up with. Ive already got the engine pieces listed up above, but there's more than that ;).

The draw and advantage
Just as any card advantage deck, draw is very important for the deck plan. Here's some stand outs:

The progenitor of the whole idea, and a very important piece of the deck. Its the pod like pod is to its deck. Hell, pod might even be one of the cards you are getting with gifts! There are a ton of good piles to get with this card, some that angle towards one plan, some that just overwhelm with things you can get to do. A lot of these have eternal witness in them. we'll touch on that later.

-Daretti, scrap savant
-chromatic star
-Obelisk of alara, pyromancers goggles
-Eternal witness, nostalgic dreams
This pile aims to start the value train of obelisk, without the pesky 8 mana for one use. Nostalgic dreams is stellar here cause it can swap the obelisk into the grave for star/daretti if needed. Goggles is bonus for double engine searching.

-punishing fire
-grove of the burnwillows
-life from the loam
-Horizon canopy?
This pile is the loam pile, basically, but you've got a guaranteed punishing fire inbound. I tossed horizon canopy on cuz its awesome, I run it, and it fits the deck theme. Could be something mean like ghost quarter, etc.

-lightning bolt
-geistblast
-lightning strike
-lightning axe
This deck can still benefit from the same redundant-value piles you might expect, any of which could be replaced with recursion. I feel like I could go on but won't, because the idea is clear enough. There's a link to a Eternal Gifts modern deck on MTGS, and a lot of inspiration can be taken from that.

These pieces are all valuable secondary dig/tutor CA pieces that help fish out needed parts for your engines-under-construction. Digging for Gifts is correct sometimes, I feel. Importantly these pieces still play generic CA for the controlling aspects of the deck.

A valuable card drawing enchantment on its own, it really shines as an enchantment that is digging for engines... and is itself an engine. Fits into the same loam machine as vortex. Sweet.

This little gem pulls double duty fueling the yard and digging out valuable early blockers/set up creatures. Also good in a value gifts pile, and as the discard of something like lightning axe/compulsive research.

The recursion
Anything. As much as possible. Eternal witness is the all-star of this category, but basically anything helps. Seasons past would be bonkers, greenwarden, and archaeomancer all work. Special shootout to Nostalgic dreams. It lets you flip gift picks to the way you want them, it combos with geistblast and life from the loam, and is solid on its own.

The meat
This is the UG durdle portion of the deck. Small, valuable creatures with ETB or other effects are solid. Some of the best would probably be

Again, I could go on, but I think I've laid out the idea. Another neato track to take is built-in spells matter. That would add stuff like

The control
Classic UR here. Counters, burn. There are certain cards with engine capacity, and that fit better for stuff like goggles, but fairly generic here, I think? Probably less hard counters and more like Remand, also, as you work towards your value engines rather than trying to completely controlling them out of the game.

The lowdown
What I'm trying to get across in the end is that I think I've gathered up with a cool, reclusive, interactive, non-poisonous archetype for RUG, something beyond "monsters + draw", and I think I'll be putting more effort into it. Maybe this should be a new thread? New thread :D . Y'all chime in, and I hope to flush out more coherently what I'm trying to cook up here. Hopefully I'll try some sample lists and all that as I continue to polish this. See the next post for some additional thoughts.

Continuing on my development of this concept, I'm going to talk about some of the unique individual card interactions that can happen, even without it being pieces or parts of some engine. The whole deck plan is predicated on gathering up advantage at every turn, so we've gotta make the best of it. There are a lot of cute two card interactions that can be talked about, and I'm sure I won't get to or even think about all of them.

Geistblast is just such a cool card, and provides such a combo-like piece to the deck. The 2 damage burn on the front-end might not be the best rate, but it more than makes up for it in being a fork-from-the-grave. In fact, that probably makes it better than fork overall, just because of the additional utility stapled all over the card. Basically any discard interaction is sweet here, and it's a cool gifts target, because it's useful in or out of the grave. The coup-de-grace interaction has to be with Nostalgic Dreams though, because it's a build your own seasons past, but can target 5 2-drops (for example).

If there's ever a place for value Kiki, it's this deck. Kiki-Jiki will provide repeatable usage of value etb creatures, and this deck holds a large premium on usage of early value creatures, in order to build up and get to the synergies the deck wants for "going off". Note that pestermite combo would be a perfectly fine addition to the multifaceted deck plan. Eidolon of Blossoms is neat in this deck, because even without Kiki it's got a higher-than-normal number of enchantments alongside it for drawing extra cards. Enchantments could include:
trade routes
oath of jace
oath of nissa
molten vortex
sylvan library
courser of kruphix
bow of nylea
vessel of nascency
And so on. The idea being that it's not actually a dead-in-the-water include for this deck, because a lot of the cool engines rely on usage of some enchantments.

BONUS:
I think this deck wants the black splash, if there's going to be a fourth color. There are a series of unique and powerful things that can be added to the deck with a {B} splash. Gitgud toad takes already existing engines and takes them right over the top. The whole life from the loam engine benefits from the Toad, but individual cards like Draw->Discard effects are powerful with him. Daretti discarding lands with his + while the Toad is out is a good example of engines jamming together for maximum value.
BONUS: The dakmor salvage/gitrog monster combo can be added to the list of possible interactions to search up. Even just the Slavage + the Toad could enable things like huge Spider Spawnings, or if you run Lab Maniac, the combo kill.

An important interaction brought up by grillo, having a way to filter out pieces of engines that aren't currently online, or aren't what's needed at that moment, is very important. Prime example of this would be filtering out Life from the Loam until its needed later, so its not clogging up your hand wasting space.

I'll add more specific interactions to this post as they come to mind, are talked about, etc.

and here's the discussion as it was happening in the make control cooler thread:
LFTL + Molten Vortex is very solid. I've seen that come together. It also goes with Crucible of Worlds, and that ties in well with landfall (fetchlands in particular), also solid in R/G at least. So lot's of overlap between archetypes to work with there. Good stuff.
Crucible of Worlds would be a fantastic card in this deck, and could give me enough reason to try it out in my cube. Dunno.

That is a fabulous set of packages. I applaud you, sigh. That's pretty much exactly what I'd want my R, U, and G sections to be doing in a high power cube with graveyard themes (i.e. Pretty much every cube I make to play). And you've pieced it all together and put a neat little bow on it. Thank you!
EDIT: go ahead and make your own thread for that magnum opus. In fact I have a suggestion to the mods: make that post part of a new sticky thread titled something like "Ready-Made Cube Packages" or "Need a Theme? Start Here!"
Posts like that one are so useful to cube architects trying to organize their thoughts, and they're always buried in the middle of a random thread because the conversation in that thread resulted in a huge light bulb moment for someone. It's one of the great things about RTL, but at the same time it'd be even greater to start consolidating posts like sigh's for easy access.
Waking up to this post was a fantastic way to start my day! :D. Thanks for the kind words. The new thread is live! and I hope to work out more kinks with a fresh discussion.

Again, well put together! I enjoyed the read, and this is something I think I'll get myself into the next time I re-organize the TECH MAGIC cube.

Polling opinion here: how many copies of Gifts Ungiven would a cube bathing in these engines/synergies want to run? I'm thinking 2-3 but I've got no real idea. Does anyone have experience with non-singleton Gifts, or have a strong intuition?
Again, thank you for the kind words :). I could see gifts getting a two-of for this deck, but Rasmus has a good point in that you can approximate the desired outcome using the other cards in your draw suite. Not sure which way to go with this yet. Also, I do have a strong intuition :p

Wouldnt it be enough with gifts, fact or fiction and some tutors?
I think so, but a second gifts would make the deck a lot more consistent!

I think this deck wants the black splash, if there's going to be a fourth color. There are a series of unique and powerful things that can be added to the deck with a {B} splash. Gitgud toad takes already existing engines and takes them right over the top. The whole life from the loam engine benefits from the Toad, but individual cards like Draw->Discard effects are powerful with him. Daretti discarding lands with his + while the Toad is out is a good example of engines jamming together for maximum value.

I'll add more specific interactions to this post as they come to mind, are talked about, etc.

Black is a super strong fourth colour, especially in Riptide lists running recursive aggro decks:

Black is definitely the strong fourth color for this deck. I think there is a different angle on it that's {R}{G}{B}/{U}, with blue for Gifts. This opens up a lot of different strategies from black, like the recursion engine centered around:

I like Unearth in particular because it can perfectly reanimate eternal witness, and make cool gifts piles something like:

Also, with >3 colors, we get an important piece, coming from the new modern version of this deck:

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I think we're moving a little bit away from the concept of discussing a deck or archetype, and moving more into the nebulous realm of "themes."

Loam is a fine card, but the issue with it is that it tends to be very bad in pressure focused environments, and does nothing outside of its specific strategy, making it very narrow. Spending two mana a turn on a card that adds nothing to your board, and requires a combination of things to be effective as an engine piece, is not a consistent way to win the game in such an environment.

Don't hate me, lots of people (including myself) have ran loam and been disappointed with it overall. Its going to come up.

Since loam is such a unique effect at high power (that adds very little to most traditional archetypes as they focus on board presence), the way its going to mostly function in a draft is as a wheel card that can enable an interesting niche strategy (reasonable) or as a card someone first picks and tries to force (can derail). An alternative would be to make it where the constellation of cards in <x> color pair(s) has the natural critical mass to put people into a strategy where they are likely to have excess lands in hand that they can convert into a resource (or are blowing up their own lands?).

This way we have an already solid value core that a drafter can opt to go deeper on when they see loam; an approach I've had much more success with than when I was trying to just push build arounds (and I have an entire cube where I tried to do that).

Ironically, the all mighty bounceland is the perfect value enabler, but as that is a non-issue here due to power level, lets go deeper.

1. This is going to be a slower deck, so you probably don't want to run a bunch of black creatures that can't block, and indeed this was failure 101 in the innistrad theme cube, where I saw over and over and over again gravecrawler used for everything under the sun except for attacking. These are the dangers of thinking in terms of broad themes, as it becomes very difficult to see where they contradict.

2. We have to make a format judgment: how much life can you afford to lose? Loam is a super durdly card, requiring you to hemorrhage tempo turn after turn, as from a board perspective, you're down two lands every time you go to loam. This means its very easy to fall behind on board presence. Is this a big deal? Do we need to up the lifegain interactions in <x> color pair to enable this so as to create some breathing room? Does this mean that we are looking at more of a B/G deck (as lifegain is more amble in those colors) with a red or blue splash?

This is also important if we are looking at there being general strategic value in holding lands, since every land you hold is one less mana you have on your turn, which means you're doing less things, which means falling behind on board...

All of these things put the deck far outside of the established metagame of most pressure focused formats. This suggests it will trend towards being a niche strategy without some love.

3. Our next fork in the road is do we take a tutor based approach to finding our engine, or do we just make it the ultimate enabler of a deck that already has critical mass in its colors? Build arounds can be very polarizing for people, as they can feel very all in (I've never been able to get anyone to touch birthing pod for that reason). I've taken the tutor approach in the past and found it very sub par. Tutors are very good at enabling drafter creativity in developing niche strategies that just barely lack critical mass. The problem with making them the central force pushing build around consistency is that people can use them for literally everything else under the sun, which usually means making already established strategies more consistent.

Its still important to have a critical mass of cards, so that the card is naturally good if you draw it, but the deck still functions if you don't.

I think we're moving a little bit away from the concept of discussing a deck or archetype, and moving more into the nebulous realm of "themes."

All of these things put the deck far outside of the established metagame of most pressure focused formats. This suggests it will trend towards being a niche strategy without some love.

3. Our next fork in the road is do we take a tutor based approach to finding our engine, or do we just make it the ultimate enabler of a deck that already has critical mass in its colors? Build arounds can be very polarizing for people, as they can feel very all in (I've never been able to get anyone to touch birthing pod for that reason). I've taken the tutor approach in the past and found it very sub par. Tutors are very good at enabling drafter creativity in developing niche strategies that just barely lack critical mass. The problem with making them the central force pushing build around consistency is that people can use them for literally everything else under the sun, which usually means making already established strategies more consistent.

Its still important to have a critical mass of cards, so that the card is naturally good if you draw it, but the deck still functions if you don't.
Every "archetype" we talk about is more like a theme, if we are being perfectly honest. "GB reanimator" encompasses a huge umbrella of strategies, methods of execution, speeds, etc. This is an archetype in that it's one unique way to utilize and enable a wedge, a series of same-thinking schemes coming together. But I get what you are saying. The scope of the thread was to see if minor tweaks to cards in certain areas could open up a whole new area to play in (that critical mass of engines to choose from and add together)

I'd like to think that most"control decks aren't "pressure focused", but control decks of all kinds are alive and well in our Riptide formats. The engines highlighted as the core of the strategy shouldn't be putting you behind on board, they should be putting you ahead. That's the way I've seen the Loam Vortex engine work, personally. Ends up being 3-5 mana a turn to permanently lock Villian out of any board, and eventually aim at the face. This can coincide with you having board state already, that you are using to grind down the opponent's life. This works with Punishing Fire in legacy, so I think there's plenty of weight to this line of thought (grindy engine ok in fast format).

Also note that only two of the engines posited use LftL. You could just as easily focus on the Soft lock deck with E Wit, Cryptic, and Familiar's Ruse, backed up with punishing grove. Just for example.

In my opener I made it clear that the idea was to have a collection of puzzle pieces that stand up on their own. With that in mind, we should theoretically already be looking at the "Critical mass" approach. Someone could easily just draft RG loam vortex like normal. Gifts would simply be a step up for it, a + to the already established decks, as you put it. It's important to note that Gift's is actually pretty bad at helping generic decks of differing strategies, that aren't built to capitalize on them. On the other hand, I feel that the design space I've laid out is actually uniquely positioned to gain actual advantage with Gifts. The black tutors mentioned by Rasmus are another story, and an important point. I'd just snap that up for my GB rock before the 4 color engine deck could ever see it. I think the most important thing, which you handily cover, is whether this whole idea is worth it. Well, I'm not sure. That's the point of laying it all out, I guess, and there is the very real possibility that the anwer is "no". Which would be sad :oops::(:confused:

Points you brought up that I jived with, and feel like I have some constructive anwers for:
Life Gain needed:

More critical mass, if that's the approach to take. Since black seems to be the strong fourth color, or even the strong third color with U splash, I can add the Spawning Engine:

More critical mass of getting a boodle of lands in hand:
(this dooder also plays that stalling game well, blocking, maybe trading, and still filling up that hand with lands.

EDIT: Since I've brought up Dakmor Salvage, another "engine" (combo) to add to the list:

While this is a combo more than an engine, in the absence of Lab Man, the loop can be repeated only as much as needed to build up a big worm harvest, say.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I'm glad that you see where I am going with the problem of theme support. I know "theme" "deck" and "archetype" seem semantically interchangeable, but theme has an established meaning from some of the sites' articles, where its a somewhat dated design approach by which you disseminate an element as broadly as possible across your cube.

Like I said, Loam is a fine card, but it runs into the same issue as obelisk, where in some formats paying 6 mana for a card that does nothing when it ETBs is fine, but in others its unplayable. It just depends on how much pressure you are under. Thats the issue here, not that control is or is not pressure focused (it obviously isn't) but rather than certain formats can be more pressure focused than others. In a format where board position and life total are really important, its very bad to be spending mana on effects that distract from adding to the board, or do nothing on their own. Thats where loam runs into issues.

I don't think the answer is necessarily no to the idea at all, but like I said it could be more focused. Its important to understand that no one is going to be able to draft a R/G loam vortex deck like normal, because that deck requires a pickup of both life from the loam and mana vortex to even exist. Whats important is there be enough of an established strategy where cards are either being put in the hand or put in the graveyard enough in R/G or G/B that you can than transition into something deeper. Or alternately, that if someone aggressively first picks a loam or mana vortex, that the infrastructure be right there for them.

I'm leaving gifts out of the equation for the moment, because I don't think it needs any introduction: the card is just extremely strong, and will naturally fall into this deck as a splash if the deck exists. Its just an interesting enabler, but not the core strategy.

Yavimaya elder is a really strong inclusion, and one of the core approaches that the deck could use to be strategically viable. A ramp deck, that can convert mid or late game top deck ramp spells into a useful resource is really good, and addresses one of the chief problems with that strategy. Tweaking the ramp package should do the trick, and allow the deck to transition to a more controlling stance Say select from:

As for G/B, I really like the idea of the gitrog monster, and thats probably a really good starting point to justify loam.

As a last caveat, one thing that Lucre was correctly pointing out months ago (and which I can confirm from experience) is that too many of these sorts of build around or narrow enablers (such as loam or vortex) can lead to really clunky packs that consist predominately of these wheel cards. There shouldn't be too many of them to the point where its over-saturating packs.

Theoretical Gifs/Loam deck. Wanted to put a deck list together to see if it looks playable. Didn't put any of the artifact shenigans in. Not perfect, but would take a lot of luck to put this pile together in a draft. Probably would be pretty solid in my cube, but I'm not sure.
Complete with greedy 4 color manabase

Is this a good deck?

Creatures (9)
Deathrite Shaman
Thing in the Ice
Young Pyromancer
Eternal Witness
Kitchen Finks
Courser of Kruphix
Shardless Agent
Bloodbraid Elf
Goblin Dark-Dwellers

Spells (14)
Search For Tomorrow
Brainstorm
Mystical Tutor
Vampiric Tutor
Demonic Tutor
Tormenting Voice
Bring to Light
Flame Jab
Punishing Fire
Geistblast
Life from the Loam
Regrowth
Molten Vortex
Gifts Ungiven

Lands (17)
Grove of the Burnwillows
Brass Burnwillows
Stomping Ground
Wooded Foothills
Scalding Tarn
Bloodstained Mire
Misty Rainforest
Breeding Pool
Watery Grave
Overgrown Tomb
Mountain
Forest
Island
Swamp
Horizon Canopy
Evolving Wilds

(Fixed deck list, yes it has spells in it)

I'm glad that you see where I am going with the problem of theme support. I know "theme" "deck" and "archetype" seem semantically interchangeable, but theme has an established meaning from some of the sites' articles, where its a somewhat dated design approach by which you disseminate an element as broadly as possible across your cube.

As a last caveat, one thing that Lucre was correctly pointing out months ago (and which I can confirm from experience) is that too many of these sorts of build around or narrow enablers (such as loam or vortex) can lead to really clunky packs that consist predominately of these wheel cards. There shouldn't be too many of them to the point where its over-saturating packs.
It may be "dated", but can be worked with, if the individual disseminations lead to helping existing archetypes (aka strong on their own). Punishing fire is fine on it's own, for instance, and punishes, har har, incidental lifegain. This, then, tangentially helps the kinda turn and burn aggro my cube supports (kill their stuff, swing through with yours/evade their stuff, rather than just doods + overwhelm them).

It's important to discuss, figure out, keep in mind, what power level this actually does (if any) work at. My cube is lower powered than some. I'd put it firmly in the middle of the pack, but still definitely below stuff like Jason's, Shamizy's, etc. So this may seem a lot more workable to me in my environment (same goes for obelisk).

If this idea even starts to get off the ground, though, then I totally agree with you, and I think the deep-end-dive could be made (the push for total archetype support). Turns out I already run a lot of things that fit that bill (like Nissa, flipwalker).

And try to remember, the idea of the (theme? Deck? schema?) is that if you whiff on one piece of an A/B, the piece you have won't be useless. For example, miss Molten Vortex? Pick up trade routes or Scroll Rack or GitGud to have something else to do. Or, the loam plan falls through, there's the Punishing Grove plan. Aka, the archetype is havingEngines.dec, not I-need-one-engine-in-particular.dec. And maybe that's a stupid plan. Hence discussion. And testing! I will be testing out what I write, not just blowing around theories. For instance, the GBRu end might end up being stronger overall, with all the GY engines that naturally can be there. Testing will tell.

I'm aware that too many build-arounds is maybe less beneficial than others, but think about it this way: campare what is happening here to Storm. I'd gladly get a rundown of cards people think are legitimately too niche, but in the end I'm trying to work on a grander synergy, where the combination of individual, ok pieces, leads to a stronger deck.

To end it out, Here's a little test draft from the update I just made to my online list. Looks pretty sweet! I KNow I got a little over lucky on some stuff because the bots don't know what to do yet, but this is a cool experiment in form. I would have liked a few more bodies, and could/might swap out some stuff for more bodies. For instance, I could get rid of Crytal Ball, Bonehoard, Daretti, and the Goggles for stuff like Strangleroot, Feldon, Deadbridge Goliath, and swiftspear.:

RG/UB Engines from CubeTutor.com

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
It's important to discuss, figure out, keep in mind, what power level this actually does (if any) work at. My cube is lower powered than some. I'd put it firmly in the middle of the pack, but still definitely below stuff like Jason's, Shamizy's, etc. So this may seem a lot more workable to me in my environment (same goes for obelisk).

I think power level is maybe a bit less of an issue. Whether a format is pressure oriented or not has really nothing to do with power level, and is just a function of how effective decks are at consistently pushing in damage: low curves, and aggressively establishing a board presence is a formula that can end up being applied anywhere.

That being said, this type of strategy is actually probably easiest to replicate at low power levels, due to the ubiquitous presence of bouncelands, density of loamesque cards (tilling treefolk, stoic builder etc) that actually give you a defensive board posture (which the deck badly wants).

As counter-intuitive as it may seem (due to the way dredge works in legacy and vintage) loam variants can feel really frustrating to play in these sorts of middling formats after experiencing much lower power variants of the deck supporting treefolk, builder or cartographer. Loam can leave you feeling naked, while those other cards at least either stall the board, act as a life gain, or at least can be playable prior to the point where you have lands in the yard. That latter is important if you are under pressure, or have an awkward draw, as loam is a dead card in those instances.

Thats why I really like your suggestion of pulse of murasa, as its an on point way to address that problem. If your format can support golgari brownscale, that is another great tool for enabling these sorts of durdle graveyard strategies.

Card dump incoming:

And saving the best for last

Finally, the storm winds gather

Since it seems like {G} is the predominate color for this (which makes me super happy, cuz non-U-centric control = life), let's look at some pieces of the pie that help Green slow things down, not speed them up:

Any other's that I'm missing? I know that the menagerie of utility value-generation doods is part of this list. See Grillo's posts above for examples of those.

I'm particularly fond of some of those, that I've thought of before but hadn't connected to this yet. Particularly:
gush
fathom seer
pearl lake ancient
I really like fathom seer, because it leaves a body behind. Late game, behind on board, and this sucker gives you a hand full of options for getting out of it, while leaving a 1/3. Neat! Have no idea where I'd put it though. I could see taking out rattlechains, cuz that was a placeholder for... something... anyway.

Any multicolor cards that would be helping us out? I haven't really been thinking that much in the multicolor space, beyond Bring to Light. I could see

Being useful, especially with recursion and bounce like Familiar's Ruse or withdraw.

Since these control deck ideas are pretty new and novel, why not build a little gauntlet of 40 card singleton decks and play some games with the G/x loam control and see how it fairs? Nothing like some actual field testing.

Edit: Also, Courser of Kruphix would really do good as a big body in the land deck.

Since these control deck ideas are pretty new and novel, why not build a little gauntlet of 40 card singleton decks and play some games with the G/x loam control and see how it fairs? Nothing like some actual field testing.

Edit: Also, Courser of Kruphix would really do good as a big body in the land deck.
Yeah courser of kruphix is a pretty important component to the deck, I think. I played Sultai Courser control back in Theros-Khans, and it was integral.

Running a gauntlet sounds like a pretty good idea! Now to gather together some decks... (and to find the missing pieces I have)

Might I offer a library of decks from a typical riptide list?
http://www.cubetutor.com/decks/26069

Some of these are ambitious, but there's almost every possible "archetype" deck in there somewhere.
Thanks a bunch! :). This'll be helpful for digging out as many decks as possible for versing.

Yeah courser of kruphix is a pretty important component to the deck, I think. I played Sultai Courser control back in Theros-Khans, and it was integral.

Running a gauntlet sounds like a pretty good idea! Now to gather together some decks... (and to find the missing pieces I have)

Might I offer a library of decks from a typical riptide list?
http://www.cubetutor.com/decks/26069

Some of these are ambitious, but there's almost every possible "archetype" deck in there somewhere.

The Spectre of Lucas Childs

Wait, monored isn't supposed to be supported

We had this yesterday, I wrote up a more detailed post with quick hits from my draft last night in my cube thread:

Mardu Control

Sometimes a new set comes out and people experiment with new themes and discover new tech. Other times people just play zoo for the 500th time. But its fine, because since you stuck a new 4 drop at the top of your curve, it feels like the first time all over again

Every Zoo Deck Ever

Dug up some stuff that looked menacing. Maybe good enough to test play against over cockatrice or something like that?

Dug up some stuff that looked menacing. Maybe good enough to test play against over cockatrice or something like that?

I've been starting in on these, and other from 3-0 and venny's list. So far the list is performing at least on par with stuff, which makes me happy. Unfortunately, drafting this deck is quickly becoming impossible from cubetutor, because I picked out certain cards so highly to start with. I feel like in the tabletop setting, this wouldn't be as much of the case.

I'll work on setting up playing in a more formal manner, and writing about it.

I am also worried about the Tenchester drafting I use. Even a few cards in the wrong place in the packs and the plan could fall apart, which makes me realize that the robustness of the plan would be more impoartant than maybe otherwise. Luckily, the "standard" RUG deck looks to be an ok route to back up to (very counter burny creature tempo).

EDIT:
So far I will say that getting an engine online pronto is key to beating aggro decks. I'm playing around with the zoo deck, and don't beat it unless I get the vortex into laom by turn ~3, or Punishing Grove on curve (or they mull to oblivion). This might mean that I need to work on my green control a little bit. Also my deck isn't fully up to date :p

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Wanted to get a feel of the draft process, and this is what I came up with.

Jund Em Out from CubeTutor.com

The draft felt really unintuitive, and I don't think I ever would have naturally gone into, but I do like the shell. The control tools in red and green are way outclassed by whats available in blue, so I ended up going with the standard "run a bunch of walkers" approach for control/midrange, which loam/vortex seems at home in. I would never actually go for the vortex/loam/grove cards deliberately, and would sort of opportunistically try to pick them up on the wheel. There is just very little draw for me to pursue a combo that seems to require too high of a pick investment for cards that feed what seems like a lower priority interaction.

I think the real draw here though is wildfire, which fits naturally with loam, and would be something that would make me aggressively go into a loam deck: breaking symmetry on LD effects seems amazing, would move loam up the pick order for me, and make it more likely you see actual loam decks. Boom//bust is another potential card.

I would just cut grove completely for the moment, as it seems a bit distracting. I would rather see a concentration of grindy life gain effects in green, which should provide enough incidental value to justify fires place in the cube. I would want to have a pretty high density of them (or feel that there is a lot in the cube) before I would move punishing fires up the pick order.

The RUG deck I really dislike, as it seems strategically unfocused, and I doubt it would ever commonly be drafted unless someone deliberately went into it. Its a tempo deck that wants to disrupt and end the game, where as fires/loam/willows assume a protracted game. Loam or grove in my opening hand seems miserable.

If you're going to seriously encourage non-blue or blue dominate control, you're going to have to balance out some of the cantrips/draw spells. Ponder, preordain, DTT, and treasure cruise should go as they completely outclass tormenting voice, faithless looting, and the magmatic insight (that should be added). Those cards are some of your absolute best value loam enablers as they do something essential for decks, rather than incidental (raven's crime I'm looking at you).

I think you're ok to run season's past btw, as you already have DTT and TC.

This analysis makes me a little sad inside :(. But maybe that's ok. It does seem like a... difficult deck to ever decide to draft, and I think that's one of the problems with gifts ungiven, is the cards it goes with and the decks it spawns are very unintuitive. Oh well.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I would like to try a few drafts with some of the stronger blue draw/smoothing spells toned down, and magmatic insight added. Think twice is a perfectly respectable card, and double gifts sounds like it could be insanely fun. Would also love to see the second wildfire. Those two with titania seem like a compelling incentive. I'm also begging for seasons past. Also note that weakening blue selection makes grave pulses actually reasonable picks. I hate tracker's instinct though, and would like to see one of the updated versions that give you access to a land or <x>.

That seems like it would open the cube up a bit.

There'll be some updates coming along to my cube, which has become the testbed of the ideas of this thread (maybe not surprising).
I like a lot of the ideas you're bringing up grillo, I just have to fight through a lot of ingrained notions on my end. From what I've learned so far, this deck seems better as a wildfire variant, and firmly wants to camp out in GRB. In this regard I see the experiment/whatever a little bit as a failure, but I can get into that when I'm not getting ready for work.

Some of the draw spells I'm considering for a tone-down:
careful consideration
Think twice
Thought scour
Mind spring
Jace beleren
Frantic search

And even though it's important to get the test bed right, I still want this to be a theme/archetype/schema discussion for any and all environment

Edit:RE:design failure.
I only call this a failure because I set out to make a RUG deck specifically, and potentially utilize gifts in the package. Now, when the deck comes together, it DOES work as RUG, but it being 0% intuitive to people, myself included really puts a brake on trying to wrestle with RUG. Now, luckily, U was basically untouched as is, and the changes to GR apply perfectly to a Jund/whatever works version. When I get offa work I'll try to regroup thoughts from above.

EditEdit:
Isn't the grave pulse we all deserve to have
?
This gem does so much of everything I want my graveyard filling and filtering to be. If there's a card I'm soooo tempted to break singleton for, it's probably this. Or E Wit.