General Decks that have 3-0'd your cube

Aggro was rampant a few drafts ago, I needed defense. Do you think it's too good or too bad? Hard to tell around here. :)

Carven Caryatid is a big fuck you to aggressive strategies IMO (it's basically a three for one - a dude and burn to get rid of it plus you draw a card for playing it). So I'd say it's very strong in the right matchup.

If aggro is too good though, just take a couple cards away from it. I'd rather do that than run what are essentially hate cards personally (and I don't even like aggro).

I did a mix of both, though I think now I might have gone a bit overboard. As I just posted in my cube thread, I find it hard to balance aggro, midrange and control.

Carven Caryatid isn't that bad though. First, it's not narrow - I played it in this deck as a card draw engine. Second, it's only a 3 for 1 against mono red decks with low power burn. I want mono colored to have weaknesses, and I also run high power burn over low power. For the rest of aggro decks, black can Doom Blade/Last Gasp/discard the Caryatid, blue has evasion, white can Ring/Journey it, so we're looking at a 2 for 1 with roughly equal mana spent, which is still bad for an aggro deck, but expected for a card that's supposed to be good against aggro.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Aggro was rampant a few drafts ago, I needed defense. Do you think it's too good or too bad? Hard to tell around here. :)

It's one of those good cards that kinda only hoses aggro, but does it well, where I prefer my cards to be a bit more well rounded.
Walls or creatures that can only attack are fine, but I prefer it when multiple archetypes are interested in given cards. Maybe (possibly a second, I haven't checked) Courser of Kruphix would accomplish the same goals but also beat down when necessary?

That being said, I do still run wall of blossoms/omens, even if I do enjoy attacking with spellskite now and again

Courser isn't good for blink/Vat/self-bounce. It does help a bit top of library, enchantments and life gain matters, but I don't have those themes in my cube. Also, Caryatid has more identity. Courser can be run in any deck.

RB Aggro

A couple of questions came up as to constructing this deck (I was the drafter):
1) Do I actually want Faithless Looting? Is another 1-drop (would have been Gravecrawler) just better for the deck?
2) Can this deck support Phyrexian Arena? I picked it up early on in my draft, but wasn't sure if its too slow in this deck.
3) Magma Jet or Incinerate? I had the choice between them in pack 2 (or 3?) and wasn't sure.

As a side note, Abbot of Keral Keep is a fantastic card, especially since playing a Bonesplitter triggers prowess!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
1) Probably not. There's something to be said about making your lategame better, but I don't think faithless looting would be the way I'd do it. Sucks that your only other zombie is Curse of Shallow Graves, but what can you do
2) I'd board it in, certainly
3) I'm partial to incinerate, since chances are you aren't looking for something specific with that scry, unless you specifically have blood artist in play, so I'd prefer to clear more blockers instead

Courser isn't good for blink/Vat/self-bounce. It does help a bit top of library, enchantments and life gain matters, but I don't have those themes in my cube. Also, Caryatid has more identity. Courser can be run in any deck.

That's fair, so long as you've got reasons

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
1) Looks like you got a critical mass of one-drops. The one Faithless Looting can draw you into gas later in the game. I think it's a defensible inclusion.
2) I think there's enough card advantage in the deck already (double Champion, double Ghast, Confidant, Alesha, Outpost Siege), I don't think you need it.
3) Magma Jet is the stronger card in a vacuum, but it really depends on how critical dealing 3 is in your environment. There are certainly formats where even Volcanic Hammer is stronger than Magma Jet.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Had a 6 man last night:

Can't remember the manabase, but it was quite good for a 3 color list, a little heavy on the shocks, and nothing that was more than fixing (no treetop village, no wasteland type things)

The custom cards at the 2 drop slot are thus:
YSb42PD.jpg
QsEKJiY.jpg
QsEKJiY.jpg

My drafters expressed a general hatred for this kind of deck, and I'm a bit concerned that both he and the drafter immediately on his left were both in GBx value laden graveyard based decks.
What would you suggest?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Meh, there's not much wrong with this archetype, but you could add in some more ways to control the graveyard, maybe cut the Survival of the Fittest, which sets up chains way easier than Evolutionary Leap.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
This technically doesn't count as a 3-0 deck because #1 it didn't 3-0 an actual draft and #2 it's from a mock draft on Forge with my cube, but holy cow is it a blast to play! Besides, pending a real draft because I'm still at home with my newborn daughter, I still want to show what my cube is capable of :D Most of the time I don't end up in five colors while test-drafting, but when I do it's glorious!

Axis of Awesome

Customs:
Nechebes Command.png Pick the Wrong Fight.png Light Up.png Chain Reckoning.png Shrouded Sanctum.png Skullcliff Cove.png Corpsecopse Ruins.png Deepwood Clearing.png Storm-Tossed Clearing.png

I've been a huge fan of Dragonlord Silumgar ever since he was released. One of the more fun cards I've played with in a while. It's a nice bomb that is never too oppressive and opens up interesting decisions. Especially gross when stealing an opposing Thunderbreak Regent :D
Dragonlord Silumgar totally wrecked me one game while playing the above deck. Or rather, the Diabolic Servitude on Dragonlord Silumgar did. Sheesh! Try removing a 3/5 flyer twice! ;)

4 islands, 4 swamps
Pulled this cutie of a deck while "color drafting" with three other guys tonight. Other decks were GW lightsaber, UR burn, and GB ramp/rock. The GW matches were quite one-sided; the burn match was the same way thanks to his low threat count.
Against the GB deck, the first game went VERY long as i had to upheaval at 9 mana and cast Liliana just to get out from a 2-life scenario. From there he still had plenty of chances to win, as he had fast early ramp, but Glen Elendra saved me from a lethal Profane Command.
All-stars on the night were cryptologist, which hit lv3 twice, perilous myr, which threatened plenty of bad trades, dragonlord silumgar, who stole Thragtusk, Ophiomancer, and Gelectrode, and Expedition Map, which fetched lots of Posts.
If the mana seems nuts, it's because we color drafted (see my thread on it in this forum). So everyone had all of their guild cards and duals. We also do ULD now, which is how i got 2 of each post.

Yeah i wasnt sure exactly what to call it, but basically some stompy dudes with both good elspeths and some equipment. He did decently against the other two players by putting lightning greaves on a warden of the first tree, but my baleful strix stopped that strategy cold.