General Decks that have 3-0'd your cube

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Its better if you have something like Flickering Ward or Reckless Charge, but it works ok. 2/1 bodies suck, but one creature not blocking often represents 2+ extra damage to the face that turn and can turn one attacks that you might not have made otherwise (you can attack with 2 2/1s into a 2/4 and get in 4 damage instead of only getting in 2 damage and not being able to attack at all next turn). Having a creature not be able to block is great if you've got enough pressure to threaten closing the game, obviously its not nearly as universally applicable as just killing the offending creature, but if you get it attached to something (having to play a 2 piker, on Goblin heelcutter's ETB, with flashback on Nightbird's Clutches or as a cantrip on Panic it can be worth it. It doesn't matter if you Flame slash or stun if the opponent is dead. Also being able to play a strong enchant and "remove" a blocker in the same turn is huge tempo. Most decks have to decide between playing a threat and removing a dude, but casting Elephant Guide on Arena Athlete on turn three puts tremendous pressure down. The downsides are pretty self-evident: shit body, getting yourself 2-1'd, multiple blockers.

The above deck probably would have preferred another 3/x attacker because the heroic trigger was unreliable with the number of triggers, but it was definitely relevant.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Had this in a local powered Cube last weekend:

LEGI1LW.jpg

highlight was playing nothing under a Braids lock so I could discard Elesh Norn during cleanup and Recurring Nightmare it back to escape, then using Dack's Duplicate on his follow-up Jace, Vryn's Prodigy to give me endless loots to assemble Eternal Witness + Sun Titan + Recurring Nightmare + Black Lotus in the same turn

Dom Harvey

Contributor
- Duplicate copies Jace
- D-Jace taps to activate, the transform condition is met so it exiles and tries to return transformed
- It can't transform but it returns to play anyway, you choose a creature to copy and pick Jace
- Rinse and repeat

Oh right, since the copy doesn't have a backside. So you just have the permanent trying to come back flipped from exile to the battlfield but just ends up forgetting it was cloned to begin with and you just select jace as the target again?

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
I concede to the cubedeck tag, I have no idea how it works and I'm too lazy to search for an answer, so here's a link. Wrecked so much face with this tonight. It was so fun I want to play with it forever. http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rugstuff-1/

Tzenmoroth's RUG Stuff

There you go my good man.
So a couple of cards caught my eye. Scuttlemutt? I know that Laz has a fondness for the little guy but does it do much in your cube/this deck?

Also, is Sarkhan worth a slot being 3 colours? Feels like he leads to RUG goodstuff midrange decks like this everytime or just gets last picked. Is he fun enough to be worth it?

Laz

Developer
So a couple of cards caught my eye. Scuttlemutt? I know that Laz has a fondness for the little guy but does it do much in your cube/this deck?

To be fair, my Scuttlemutt is a 2 mana 1/2. Alloy Myr is not a very exciting card, but is a functional colourless mana-dork. The ability that changes colour is the big deal in my cube, and looking at that list, there isn't much that cares about that here.

Reanimator Controll 3-0

Pretty happy about the decks from this 8 man. We had two control decks in the finals (ub vs jeskai). I was playing BW humans with too little pressure, we had a 4 color RDW, the pretty much staple GB pod deck and two other a little durdlier ones, as well as the second uw control deck.

Rasmus BW Humans 2-1

A particular highlight vs the uwr finalist control deck was saccing bloodsoaked to victimize back haruspex and imposing and raiding back bloodsoaked. Also, blind hunter was sort of an mvp. 4 point life swing is a lot!

Scuttlemutt has been a popular card in my group, if only to have a mana rock strapped to a relevant body that occasionally screws with protection and "nonblack creature" removal. Not the most powerful but making a lot more lawls than other mana rocks, which is an important factor for me. Sarkhan Unbroken is currently my RUG slot. Admittedly he hasn't come out much yet. Maybe he's a little too goodstuff, but he was pretty fun. He fits well into UR counterburn / spells matter decks, UG Wildfire / Ramp decks, any of UG's rampy tempo decks. I'd really need to see him make games less fun or see a more fitting RUG card to want to remove him though.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Yaaaaay! I just did the first draft with my new Khans of Alara cube (you know, the one that's been in my signature for a while now). I signed up for a cube night, and then they decided it was going to be held with my cube, so all of a sudden I needed to print and sleeve a lot of proxies! Took me the whole Saturday (from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. basically) o_O

Anyway, the drafted archetypes, ULD picks, and last picks, as well as the winning decklist can be found over at http://www.cubetutor.com/cubeblog/24021.

I wanted to highlight one of the 1-1 decks here though. Look at it and tell me with a straight face that this isn't cool! I am so happy this is a deck that exists in my cube, and that it can actually win games!

Grixis Creatureless Control

Blanks:
Search // Seizure {1}{U}{B} // {U}{R}
Sorcery
Search your library for up to three cards and put them in your graveyard. Then shuffle your library.
//
Seizure deals damage to target creature or player equal to the number of instant and sorcery cards in your graveyard.
//
Fuse (You may cast one or both halves of this card from your hand.)

Corroding Coast
Land - Island Mountain
Corroding Coast enters the battlefield tapped unles you control two or fewer other lands.

Crater Lake
Land
You can play ~ only on your first, second or third turn.
{T}: Add {U}, {R}, or {W} to your mana pool.
Cycling {2}

Shrouded Sanctum
Land
You may have Shrouded Sanctum enter the battlefield tapped with a bivouac counter on it.
{T}: Add {U}, {R}, or {W} to your mana pool. You lose 1 life unless there's a bivouac counter on Shrouded Sanctum.

The guy won a game against a Sultai grind-value deck by lining up a Cruel Ultimatum vs. a lonely Genesis on t8, following it up with the Bojuka Bog for the blowout!

By the way, I have to keep an eye on Search // Seizure. It's a custom, and I didn't think it would be too powerful, but I have played the decks against each other after the draft, and in one game I got to deal 13 damage for the kill. For two mana! o_O I mean, I took Spite of Mogis as the base-line and though, well, minus the scry 1, plus a blue mana to make it gold, adding target player seems fair, right?

Search // Seizure {1}{U}{B} // {U}{R}
Sorcery
Search your library for up to three cards and put them in your graveyard. Then shuffle your library.
//
Seizure deals damage to target creature or player equal to the number of instant and sorcery cards in your graveyard.
//
Fuse (You may cast one or both halves of this card from your hand.)

Holy hell that card looks awesome!