General Decks that have 3-0'd your cube

How's blasphemous act?

I love Blasphemous Act. I like having control options in non-typical control colored decks and it fits the bill for an interesting boardwipe. Part of the fun is crafting a boardstate or hoping for one where you can actually resolve it and reset the game. It's a boardwipe, but it's not super consistent which makes it fun. Sometimes you'll cast it for five or six, other times you'll wipe a Deranged Hermit board and need only {R}. There are also fringe interesting interactions since it's just straight damage. I can't imagine ever cutting it.

Aoret

Developer
Kinda-sorta OT for this thread (though I don't think there's a better place for it...) I cubed with Shamim and his playgroup at UCSD last night. I thought it might be fun to write another half ass tournament report.

It has been a long time since I've played against active competitive players, and that became pretty immediately apparent to me once the matches started. I drafted UB control with a couple pieces of artifact ramp, which I'm pretty certain was correct for the seat I was in. I just finished reading through the draft strategy thread a few days prior so I was eager to practice leaving myself open in a draft and looking for what colors are underdrafted. That part, at least, went well for me.

I found myself playing pretty glacially slowly in most of my matches (with the exception of round 3 vs Shamizy's monored). I'm just not good enough at control to play quickly when there are a sufficiently high number of lines of play and threats to worry about. Not good when you've got 6 other people in a draft waiting around for your match to finish. Anyhow... the matches were:

Round 1 against Abzan midrange
This opponent seemed like he may have been a bit newer. Still, he was a surprisingly good player and a super nice guy. Game one went pretty standard, I slowed down his plan, played Meloku (who is really gross with Shelldock, I realized...) and killed him. Game two was... pretty dumb. We got stuck in a really odd board stall for a long time where he had Athreos, a bunch of crappy guys, and a warden of the first tree while I had one of his creatures mind controlled and a fist full of durdle and tempo cards. I tried to fight through it for approximately one mortal age before finally seeing that he'd kill me in a couple of turns and scooping. We realized the entire rest of the room was waiting on us and I offered to high roll for the last win. DQ jokes ensued before my opponent told me to take the win.

Round 2 against UWR control-combo
I want to say my round 2 opponent was named Jerry? I met a bunch of new people last night though so I might be mixed up. He was on a pretty standard UWR control deck with a small infinite turns combo element via looped Time Warp. Another really nice guy, and clearly a very skilled player. He was patient with me as I took the slowest turns in the world and used top and brainstorm wrong over and over. Highlights of the game were me stopping his time warp combo (I think I even used Daze to do it...) as well as his clutch burn killshot against me while I had the board dominated and he had two cards left in his library. The loss was my own fault, as I'd accidentally forgotten to leave blue up for the damnation he knew was underneath my Shelldock Isle and had taken four from celestial colonnade a few turns back (I'd made the mistake of clarifying the timing rules out loud, and he immediately started playing around it for the next like 15 turns. I'd hoped he'd miss the mana mistake, but he was very on top of the entire game state for the duration of our match). After game one, again I realized that we'd spent something close to an hour on one game, so I told him to just take the win and run.

Round 3 against Shamizy's monored
Game one Shamim played LD spells and wastelands.

Game two Shamim didn't do anything on turn one or turn two, and then I used mana rocks to cast Myr Battlesphere

Game three we had a hilarious fight over a Young Pyromancer which involved me mind controlling it, him untapping and trying to red sun's zenith it for x=1, me casting Daze into his three open red mana because a 1/1 guy was worth more than a daze. I did cool shit with a coalition relic to cast engineered explosives set to 4 for his Hero of Oxid Ridge before realizing it left me one mana shy of the activation cost for explosives and promptly dying.

1-2 on the night with a few lessons learned (I'm not good enough to play control under a time limit, shelldock+meloku is gross), and a fun time had! Thanks again to Shamizy for letting me join him and his crew!

Oh wow I dind't even think about bouncing sweet lands with melokou. Finally sort of sold on that card! (It's supposed to be good but like, setting yourself back on lands to make stupid 1/1s?)

Well, they are flying 1/1s, and if Meloku is your curve-topper you're not really losing any tempo. He is good, just more narrow than people who record and publish their MODO cube sessions would have you believe.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
We had a stupid deck once that was pretty good (2-1?) that had Meloku, 5 Post (ULD) and Exploration/Oracle of Mul Daya that would generate stupid amounts of life if it got started.

So our 3-0 last night was a Naya Superfriends build which the pilot was pretty stoked about. His first time ever getting to play superfriends. I out-aggroed him G1, but I just couldn't deal with a walker curveout in the following two with Mono-Red. More info and other decks and quick hits in my mini-report.

Naya Superfriends

Newspaper Aggro

Vendetta is Pay X life: -X/-X
Iron Golem is 1R/Phyrexian 2/1
Grim Affliction Costs 1B
Roar of the Lion is CTs mono white proliferating Travel Preparations. Was very good
Rage Forger is the common custom version
Soul of Prosperity is 2/2 flyer, etb proliferate

Laz

Developer
I spent far too long working out the newspaper reference...

There is a pretty filthy amount of random value synergies there considering how effective the deck is at just straight up running people over.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Last deck before the Zendikar overhaul

A Just Death

Notes: Tutoring for goblin chirugeon with goblin matron is a way better play then you might think.

I'm always surprised with how good welder is with just normal artifacts. The deck didn't even have a way to discard triskelion!

This deck was the perfect trading post deck. That card has twice been in a 3-0 red/white welder deck. The fact that this is now a proven archetype in my cube dumbfounds me. I should probably take out Hangarback Walker because the decks it is good in really don't need help, that card is really strong.

Fucking Brass Man is a workhorse. Powermax cubes that run 12343 2/1s should run it, it would own in those lists.

It was kinda sad that this was the ideal deck for Goblin Sharpshooter, but it wasn't able to get it.

What's Experimment X?

also, is spined thopter good?

1/1 for 2, evolve, with Modular ability that can put the counters on any creature.

Spined Thopter is decent in my cube with not a lot of flyers and no forked bolt, limited cheap removal, etc. Still not great, but is an easy late pick for any aggro deck needing more creatures.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Sometimes a new set comes out and people experiment with new themes and discover new tech. Other times people just play zoo for the 500th time. But its fine, because since you stuck a new 4 drop at the top of your curve, it feels like the first time all over again

Every Zoo Deck Ever

How well does Arena Athelete play in those decks? I was considering it for my Fantasy Set but I wasn't sure how effetive it is. The deck above has like 4 ways to trigger it but I wonder how effective the unable to block clause is.