General The Draft Exchange

URw Free Spells from CubeTutor.com

Peter! What a fun cube.

Saw Mizzix's Mastery in my opening hand and felt like, I really want to draft that card, see what I can do with it. Wasn't disappointed! A lot of cool support for the UR spell pile deck in this cube, probably on the better I've seen. One thing I was missing was some really big absurd spells to reanimate wih Mizzix's Mastery, but other than that I just felt like there was enough depth in the pair to make the draft feel good.

Edit: I also just realised I might've put too few actual spells in the deck... woops!

That deck looks sweet! A great execution of the white side of reanimator. With the discard effects you ended up with I can see not needing the troll, but the mana definitely is ideal. You playing modern? :)

UG time warp from CubeTutor.com

Drafted the good games cube! First pick was Torrential Gearhulk into P2 Time Warp. Deck shaped itself around that, with a few ways to turor pieces, and to recur the TW for maximum shenanigans. Mystic Confluence is buuuusted, and doubly so with the confluence > gearhulk > confluence chain :O.

Edit: Rasmus just beat me to it! But it's neat how we drafted two Time Warp decks in a row :)

Thanks guys! Both those decks look sweet. Rasmus, what kind of big spells would you be looking for for Mizzix's Mastery? I'm trying to find ways to make my spells more interesting than just "draw cards, deal damage, destroy target creature, etc."

The ideal targets are probably the ones that are expensives, splashy, would be worth to ramp into and still fit in other decks (Like reanimator creature targets). I've tried to look for some of them, but it's kind of hard to meet all those criteria. The poster child I feel is:

Since it would be nice to actually get to eight mana for the overload, I think it could be worth considering what mana rocks are in the cube. Hedron archive is a good card for the big mana deck, since it isn't as easy a pick as a 2-3 cmc rock, and psuedo-cycles itself if you need more gas.

I mean, that depends. You can probably play both. If it exiles itself it's because you've cast it and hopefully been able to unload a ton of spells. Doesn't have to be part of a recursion chain, Mastery helps in making it more castable since you can bin it and reanimate if you end up drawing it without begin able to miracle it.

Another draft of the good games cube! First pick was Dread Return with the eye to wheel Razaketh. He didn't wheel! #Tilted. I proceeded to have a hard time finding anything worth reanimating, instead finding a plethora of {U} and {B}'s most value players. Ended up more in a value-midrange-control deck than anything, with the approach as a great secondary wincon especially with the tutor effect in the deck.

UB Gifts Control from CubeTutor.com

One of the issues with the emerge eldrazis is that they really don't work in reanimator, which is unfortunate. I might still have run them here because they are still great value plays, but it does leave that couple fewer targets for Dread Return Et. Al.

Still looks like a sweet deck! The blue creature section looks absolutely stacked o_O

Went with a UR Spellslingers build in Sigh's synergy cube:

UR Spellslinger

P1P1 the Dynavolt Tower to see if I could make it work, I don't think I quite got there with enough spells, but salvaged it with a mostly solid UR deck. The deck feels like a Stoke the Flames or Lightning Bolt away from being about where I'd want it to be. Not being able to get max value off Baral with higher costing sorceries/instants feelsbadman.

Drafted Shamimrazad! Ended up in one of my favorite deck styles: the ol' jund Midrange Value beat down. First pick was Sylvan Library into Ob Nixilis. Wish my mana base was a little more solid, and had a hard time scrounging up lands, and they seem to go really quick in this format.

Jund Midrange from CubeTutor.com

I'm sure there are some slightly more "together" decks that would beat this more generic value grind deck, but it'd be a blast to play!

I don't know if it's because I suffered a ton abuse from Jund in innistrad-ravnica back in 2012 but I just love the Jund decks. It's the only value pile I find exciting, I don't know what it is about it. Regisaur Alpha seems like a really good card for this kind of deck? A bigger dumber version of huntmaster of the fells that's a dinosaur instead of a dude with a wolf.

Drafted Shamimrazad! Ended up in one of my favorite deck styles: the ol' jund Midrange Value beat down. First pick was Sylvan Library into Ob Nixilis. Wish my mana base was a little more solid, and had a hard time scrounging up lands, and they seem to go really quick in this format.

I'm sure there are some slightly more "together" decks that would beat this more generic value grind deck, but it'd be a blast to play!

Yeah, seeing as the majority of drafts on CT are myself and Riptide members, the lands have a pretty early pick rating. I usually snap up fixing early if I'm going a certain direction with my deck in whatever test drafts I run. It's a little bit of a challenge to wheel any good fixing as a result. Manabase feels like you're just one Jund colored fetch away from having a great one after snapping up a trio of Jund duals.

Drafted Sigh's cube again.

Deadguy Ale from CubeTutor.com

I started the draft with a Monastery Mentor into Dark Confidant, but I quickly pivoted into one of my favourite strategies: hatebears. I was also hoping to play Thought-Knot Seer and Eldrazi Displacer, but didn't pick up the right fixing highly enough. The equipment/double strike subtheme is great, I almost lucked into it during the draft; really well designed in that respect imo.

If whoever's next could draft my main cube, to which I've just made some changes to catch it up with the last couple sets, I'd appreciate it, but you can also check out my rough sketch of a bounceland cube I did for the MTGO contest here.

Thanks for the draft and the kind words, Safra! :). This deck looks sweet and is absolutely one of my favorite decks (I ran this archetype in my last IRL draft!). I'm wondering if Stoneforge Mystic has a place in my format once again, as I don't run any super oppressive equips anymore, except maaaybe Wargear kinda is. She can really tie that subtheme together.

I really like Legion's Landing here, with all those equips the repeatable body looks killer.

Thanks for the draft and the kind words, Safra! :). This deck looks sweet and is absolutely one of my favorite decks (I ran this archetype in my last IRL draft!). I'm wondering if Stoneforge Mystic has a place in my format once again, as I don't run any super oppressive equips anymore, except maaaybe Wargear kinda is. She can really tie that subtheme together.

I really like Legion's Landing here, with all those equips the repeatable body looks killer.

I've been taking a hard look at SFM recently as my cube has begun leaning towards artifact synergies more. bloodforged battle-axe was a big step to making it a reality in my cube, but I feel like I want 2 more appropriately powered equipments before I can slot her in.

If whoever's next could draft my main cube, to which I've just made some changes to catch it up with the last couple sets, I'd appreciate it, but you can also check out my rough sketch of a bounceland cube I did for the MTGO contest here.

I'm your huckleberry.

Jund from CubeTutor.com

Started with Massacre Wurm into Liliana of the Veil. Mostly stuck with black cards until midway through pack 1 when I saw the Gitrog Monster and Life from the Loam. Things kind of spiraled from there.

How is bloodforged battle axe playing out?

Our first outing with it was in a Team America Skies deck and it did great work in that context. Obviously evasion and your removal suite will dictate how crazy it can get. It has a mini-game component which I find really appealing. It's also fairly easy to disrupt and can cause real tempo swings with the equip cost and fragility of tokens. It can function as a building anthem effect or you can voltron up one dude. The fact that it doesn't increase toughness is really critical to keeping it fair imo.

Our first outing with it was in a Team America Skies deck and it did great work in that context. Obviously evasion and your removal suite will dictate how crazy it can get. It has a mini-game component which I find really appealing. It's also fairly easy to disrupt and can cause real tempo swings with the equip cost and fragility of tokens. It can function as a building anthem effect or you can voltron up one dude. The fact that it doesn't increase toughness is really critical to keeping it fair imo.

Thanks, I haven't played with it and am worried about it's potential to snowball. Any concerns for you?