General The Draft Exchange

Thanks for the draft. Maybe I need better payoffs for artifacts and aristocrats?

What worked for me was making these two things overlap: make my artifacts be aristocrat cards. That way you have 2 options:
1. Have a "regular" aristocrat deck that doesn't have any artifact synergies
2. Have an artifact aristocrat deck.

I think it was dbs that coined the term "artifactify an archetype".

psly4mne summed it up nicely. You get there on payoffs (you might even have too many with stuff like Soldevi Adnate). But you are missing some support. Here are the support cards I think would fit your list that you are could include:

The other way to get your Rakdos section to have artifact support is to use black reanimation cards along with Goblin Welder and Daretti, Scrap Savant (and even Feldon of the Third Path). The thing is you don't play any! You can chose what power level you want from your reanimator cards (Blood for Bones seems like a nice one for reanimator and sacrifice), you just have to make sure you include enough artifact fatties for it to work (Scuttling Doom Engine, Duplicant, Triskelion, Pentavus, Angelic Rocket for medium power level).

This can also lead to some fun hybrids between your artifact archetypes since Welder, Daretti and Feldon all sacrifice stuff.

I would love some comments on my cube as I'm readying myself to print it and start collecting the cards. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

In the meanwhile, let draft yours! :)

First draft: I chose between Hogaak and Snapcaster Mage, decided for the latter because it tends to be more open. From there I picked Grim Lavamancer, a UW land and Ephemerate. With this in mind, I decided to move into UWR and pick both blink and spells-matter cards. I wa succesful as I ended up with a very neat blink package and 10 spells. However, I felt many of the spells I saw were not that useful to me.

https://cubecobra.com/cube/deck/5e28da16465b3c4890d43515

Second draft: I started with Mind Stone, Oracle of Mul Daya and Crystalline Crawler. Things looked solid. However, I do not think I got enough ramp or defensive options to actually win. I have some interesting pieces: I have Mirari's Wake, I have Verdurous Hulk and Sandwurm Convergence. But I do not have much beyond that. I should be dead by the time I cast those cards. I got 3 Sakura-Tribe Elders, but at 2 mana a piece, I don't think I'll get far. More importantly, I don't think I can hit my most expensive cards with that kind of spells.

https://cubecobra.com/cube/deck/5e28ddbfbed55b1defbd4f59

In general, I felt my cards were too expensive and my ramp too slow. My payoffs and 4+cc cards feel demanding and narrow. Most of them require having other creatures on the board or need to be turned out to get value or so on. Even then, better payoffs would still mean I'm running fairly mediocre cards as my core.

Third draft: I start with Grafted Wargear, because it's a busted card. I quickly assemble some key GR cards and start drafting a typical monsters deck. I again feel many of my cards are overly narrow. Insult/Injury, for example, is neat, but I would have preferred a burn spell. The same goes for Loaming Shaman, Kiora Behemoth Crusher and the like. Many of my cards benefit from discard synergies but I didn't find many cards worth discarding.

https://cubecobra.com/cube/deck/5e28e1cc465b3c4890d44930

While I see you are aiming for a lower power-level, I would try to remove some of your cutest or narrowest cards and replace them with cards one would be happier to play in a wide arrange of decks. There's too much spice for too little meat, IMHO.

I would love some comments on my cube as I'm readying myself to print it and start collecting the cards. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

I did a draft of your cube and drafted a cool Simic deck. What I noticed is that you have almost zero removal in that color pair. You could chose from among some fight cards: Voracious Hydra is boss, Wicked Wolf is good too.

In blue you have some bounce, but I'd love to see cards like Psionic Blast, Sower of Temptation, Dungeon Geists. But maybe having just bounce is voluntary?

Thanks Nanonox! Youa re right on the removal part. I did try to angle the pair towards flash, bounce and counterspells but that's more UG than UW.

I wanted to replace one of my four drops and I think Voracious Hydra should be the card taking that spot. Wicked Wolf has blink synergies, though. I also wonder if I should Beast Within even though I want to protect my precious enchantments and artifacts. All in all, here's what I can think of running:

I'll see what I can do. I have two flex slots (Ascetic Troll, Wildborn Preserver), perhaps more.

Regarding blue, it's tricky. Blue slots are very tight and the cards I already have in are working very well. I could replace Whirler Rogue, but I think it's a more synergetic card. It also has more play to it than the other blue 4-costers.

What I think I should do is make UGR and UWG more viable. For example, if that Conclave Tribunal were a good white removal spell you could have splashed for it. I could see that deck splashing Path to Exile, Momentary Blink and Revillark. I get UWR and WBR decks naturally, but G-centered decks aren't becoming tri-colour as much as I would like!

Draftes Nanonox'cube.

First pack I started with cheap Karn into dark Daretti, trying to set up for a value artifact deck. I also got some fixing already setting me up for 3 or more colors. Also picked up Goblin Welder for cheats.

Pack 2 gave me some more cheap artifacts (Ex' capsule and second Mind Stone) as well as some generally useful removal spells. And fixing.

Pack 3 I finally found so e artifact fatties with SDE and Duplicant. I also found so ethibgs that make tokens which are artifacts. And mooore fixing.

4 color robots from CubeTutor.com

Have a hard time saying how well that deck could do in such a powerful cube environment, but I'd have a fun time finding out :)

Thanks for the draft!

The deck looks gas. You have draw, removal and powerful cards. I can see Scuttling Doom Engine ending many games :p

I really should remove my cube from my signature as my playgroup wanted more good stuff and less synergy which is a step away from the Riptide philosophy. I'll probably make a post explaining what I've learned and how it impacts even a good stuff cube.

In the meanwhile, let draft yours! :)

First draft: I chose between Hogaak and Snapcaster Mage, decided for the latter because it tends to be more open. From there I picked Grim Lavamancer, a UW land and Ephemerate. With this in mind, I decided to move into UWR and pick both blink and spells-matter cards. I wa succesful as I ended up with a very neat blink package and 10 spells. However, I felt many of the spells I saw were not that useful to me.

https://cubecobra.com/cube/deck/5e28da16465b3c4890d43515

Second draft: I started with Mind Stone, Oracle of Mul Daya and Crystalline Crawler. Things looked solid. However, I do not think I got enough ramp or defensive options to actually win. I have some interesting pieces: I have Mirari's Wake, I have Verdurous Hulk and Sandwurm Convergence. But I do not have much beyond that. I should be dead by the time I cast those cards. I got 3 Sakura-Tribe Elders, but at 2 mana a piece, I don't think I'll get far. More importantly, I don't think I can hit my most expensive cards with that kind of spells.

https://cubecobra.com/cube/deck/5e28ddbfbed55b1defbd4f59

In general, I felt my cards were too expensive and my ramp too slow. My payoffs and 4+cc cards feel demanding and narrow. Most of them require having other creatures on the board or need to be turned out to get value or so on. Even then, better payoffs would still mean I'm running fairly mediocre cards as my core.

Third draft: I start with Grafted Wargear, because it's a busted card. I quickly assemble some key GR cards and start drafting a typical monsters deck. I again feel many of my cards are overly narrow. Insult/Injury, for example, is neat, but I would have preferred a burn spell. The same goes for Loaming Shaman, Kiora Behemoth Crusher and the like. Many of my cards benefit from discard synergies but I didn't find many cards worth discarding.

https://cubecobra.com/cube/deck/5e28e1cc465b3c4890d44930

While I see you are aiming for a lower power-level, I would try to remove some of your cutest or narrowest cards and replace them with cards one would be happier to play in a wide arrange of decks. There's too much spice for too little meat, IMHO.

The first deck looks pretty solid as a nice blend between spells and flicker effects. What type of spells would you have liked in addition to your picks?

The second deck looks a little divided. You're right that Frostfang and Gearhulk want an established board, so they fit the top end of an aggressive deck or solid midrange beats. But your early game is heavily focused on accelerating to the late game. Most of my ramp starts at 2cc. With that much ramp I would have gone for a heavy control deck that splashes for mass removal and kept your solid top end.

The third deck looks good too! I would have built differently though as Flameblade Adept and Reckless Charge doing a surprising amount of work. I can see your point of wanting more "hey discard me and benefit" cards.

Onto to your draft.
P1P1 Walking Ballista, not the highest power card but keeps me open. P1P2 Solemn Simulacram, call me greedy. P1P3 Mindslave, headed towards brown town. I finish the pack out with colorless mana rocks, solid 4cc artifacts, Goblin Tinker, and some mass land destruction.

P2P1 Fact or Fiction, didn't see anything my deck directly wanted so I took the most powerful and splashable care. P2P2 Engineered Explosives, seems on point. P2P3 Noxious Gearhulk, brown town meet value town. Picked up some more artifact top end and reanimate spells. At this point I'm hedging towards Grixin artifact reanimate.

P3P1 Scaling Tarn, I have zero fixing aside from a Watery Grave. P3P2 Tinker, also considered another mana rock. P3P3 Baleful Strix, well that's gg.

I'd be interested to see how the deck function. Seems like there's enough draw spells to fuel the gy.

Kayden's draft of Staple cube on 24/01/2020 from CubeTutor.com

Ravnic, I drafted your casual cube. It was a bit intimidating because there are a lot of cards I am not familiar with. In the end I think the deck is pretty sweet. I am not sure what to cut. I took a lot of fixing and signets in the beginning. I think i first picked golgari signet. Anyway, I think I can fill up my graveyard and sac artifacts to win with Mirrodin Besieged! Fun times. I don't have a cube to draft at this point. I also don't know how to share the deck from cube cobra so I just screenshot it. Unfortunately it looks like the file is too big. Eh, anyway...

I would love to make some exchanges. I'm reaching the point where I can see myself doing many more changes without a lot of play so any help is welcome :)

Ravnic, I drafted your casual cube. It was a bit intimidating because there are a lot of cards I am not familiar with. In the end I think the deck is pretty sweet. I am not sure what to cut. I took a lot of fixing and signets in the beginning. I think i first picked golgari signet. Anyway, I think I can fill up my graveyard and sac artifacts to win with Mirrodin Besieged! Fun times. I don't have a cube to draft at this point. I also don't know how to share the deck from cube cobra so I just screenshot it. Unfortunately it looks like the file is too big. Eh, anyway...

Thanks man, but ... How are you gonna cast anything in this deck? You got the full 40 cards but without any basic lands *:)

Sorry Ravnic! I was busy and didn't come back. Thanks for the draft! The deck seems fine to me. Personally, I would run Sin Collector over the Recruiter. I'm not actually very fond of the latter, though it finds a lot of good stuff here!

Which 4s to choose seems extremely difficult, I'm not completely sure about what the right cards are. Which is great! This kind of hard deckbuilding choices have apparead as I've polished the cube. Braids and Smokestack are a given, as is Hangarback Walker. From there things get a bit more difficult. You can be a greedy and move Walker to a 2-drop and Sram's Expertise is probably the right, but less powerful pick of the list. Nektraatal is just ag ood card in general and it works with blink, Shepherd and Stronghold. Solemn provides more mana, which the deck really needs. Emeria Angel is just a good card all in all.

I drafted your cube, which was fun. I build a cool-looking URb spells-deck. I began with Mana Leak, then Trade Routes because I love that card. I saw Drake Haven next and started to see a deck come together with draw/discard synergies. Looks fun, if a bit durdly, an aggro deck will hurt. But it's very fun. Not sure how to link it here to discuss the list. I actually like your archetype more than I like mine in my cube. There are more interesting cards. I also love the old-fashioned borders of some of the cards, I wonder if I can steal them.

I do think I should play 18 lands instead of 17, taking something else away.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Finally updated my Wheel of Change cube! Whew, did a big overhaul to strengthen some themes, removing cards that didn't pull their weight or felt just a bit too generic. Notably, with a heavy heart, I finally cut Demonic Pact, as it required a lot of support cards in amounts that didn't really mesh with my other themes.

And what do you know, p1p1, drafting Ravnic's casual cube, an alternate art Demonic Pact is looking at me. I have to take it now, right? :D Emancipation Angel shows up p1p2, and from there I already know what color combination I want to draft. WB Pact, let's go! During the draft, I got distracted by the WB lifegain theme, which was operating on quite a different axis than the Demonic Pact deck I was drafting. I should have probably paid more attention to etb effect, but hey, at least my fixing's good!

I think this turned out to be a rather sweet deck that operates somewhere between midrange and control? I think it's got a fair attrition game, thanks to a lot of incidental lifegain, and Phyrexian Reclamation to abuse that lifegain and keep board presence intact. Demonic Pact does some work here, providing some card advantage and a considerable amount of reach, with all the flicker effects.

Next drafter can draft my Wheel of Change cube :)

Drafted Onder's cube, went with a RW Aggro deck:

RW Wide Bois

The custom card is the following combat trick:

znP2gxv.jpg

Not super familiar with this cubes specifics so I went with my classic strategy of settling into either an aggressive or control-y shell based on what catches my eye early. I began with a P1P1 Monastery Mentor, wasn't quite sure what I wanted to do initially but then I began seeing a lot of go-wide anthem type creatures and decided that making a Go-Wide Heroic themed deck might work out. Sort of got there but I with I had a few more combat tricks, another 1 drop, and maybe one more removal spell.

Regardless, the deck looks like a blast to play and a great port of aggressive shells I see crop up in my main cube from time to time! A curve of Goblin Guide into Dreadhorde Arcanist into Tajic, Legion's Edge feels straight up disgusting. Aggressive shells are my litmus tests to see the base offerings of a format and this looks real solid all around. I don't really have the liberty to put as many combat tricks in my format due to the higher power level so it's interesting to see what can be done if things are toned down a little. Good stuff!

After the draft I saw there was a Feather, the Redeemed in the cube as well and I cursed my bad luck for not seeing it in my draft pool.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Thanks for the draft Shamizy! Yeah, I worked on aggro a bit in this last update. I think it was already decent, but I gave it a bit of extra love. It's unfortunate you missed out on more combat tricks, I did put in a few more to better support the hero archetype, but it's a 450 cube, so obviously not everything will show up all of the time. Nevertheless, this looks exactly like the RW go wide archetype I drew up as one of the archetypes in that color combination. Happy you found it, even when you went in blind! :)

Drafting Shamziy's Cube to get things going again!

haven't drafted a cube with this highof a power level in a while. Started with p1p1 Baby Jace, that felt pretty safe. I soon afterwards got a Lilly the Last Hope and Tasigur, Banana King, so I attempted to got for something that uses the graveyard. But I kept it control-ish as I got some nice boardwipes in Fumigate/Languish. And then P2P1became good ol Wrath of God. I kept picking great removal, hoping I'd get enough card draw for a good control deck. P3P1 was just Counterspell, then a Reflecting Pool to make my color heavy esper list run smoothly.

In the end I feel a little anxious about my mana base and card draw though. On the other hand, my removal suite couldn't be any better. Hopefully these wraths and Planeswalkers will be enough card advantage!

https://cubecobra.com/cube/deck/5f69347d31b40d6afa561b33

Screenshot 2020-09-22 012652.png

Whoever goes next, you'll be the first person after myself who drafts my completed list of 720 cards, 360 each in the core and the occassionals. Please do the default draft format (which is 12+3). That will have you have the last three cards ins a pack opened be occasionals. While the core shall give the main themes everything they need to function, the occasionals are there to bring variety and pull you into different ways of drafting. I eagerly await your feedback on that!

Also let this post be another chance to thank everyone who helped me with my numerous card searches in the last few weeks! You guys rock!

I drafted your cube a couple times. Some thoughts:

1) I had difficulties with the art style. I had to check many cards to see which ones they were and what they did because I did not recognize the picture. Seeing Link does not make me think of Den Protector. Many of your alternate art styles use fonts that are harder to read.

2) Complexity is very high. There are few cards that just do what you want, most have some additional twist or small detail. Many basic effects, such as disenchant, are attached to Morph, Kicker or increased mana costs which make them difficult to evaluate. In general, it feels there are few cards that I feel I can rely on, most of them have some sort of trick that requires me to evaluate them. For example: Is Mother Bear good despite being a 2/2? What about Morph Disenchant? Or Morph Card Draw? A Ninjutsu card in a control deck, is it worth running? I wonder if many of these cards provide enough extra value in their gameplay to justify them over simpler cards. For example:

This is a pretty bad card. I'll try to avoid it and run something else in its place whenever possible. Does the possibility of playing it as a 2/2 over a 3/1 and then turn them around and give another creature trample for one turn really add gameplay value? There are a lot of cards like that:

While I'm not good at evaluating power level or anything of the sort, it seems to me the best way to win in your cube is to avoid as many awkard cards as possible and try to keep average card quality up. I also feel there are many cards that are, in the end, so similar that I don't think much is gained by them being different. For example:

I think these cards offer, if not a false choice, a very weak one. They could all be the same card and the impact on gameplay would be the same. I had this feeling that I had to put much more effort to understand the cards than I would in a typical draft but the resulting experience wouldn't be too different. There are also some cards that are just messy and it would be better for the enviroment if they could be replaced by simpler, more versatile alternatives:

3) I feel control is hard to draft because the archetypes don't lend themselves to it or there are few cards that could fill a non-attacking role. For example, I don't think Ninjas can be used by slower decks.

4) I felt there were too many archetype cards and too little in the way of support or bread and butter spells, like removal. It's not an issue of power level, I would have been happy drafting Volcanic Hammer over Incinerate. Either way, I think you need more enablers (Life gain) and less payoffs (cards that trigger on life gain).

5) I disliked all the cards with heavy colored requirements or that otherwise rewarded you for it (Clockwork Servant) and I think bouncing your own morph creatures is too optimistic.

----

My suggestions:

a) Revise your mana curve. I feel the average cost is too high and slower decks have few options in the early game that aren't removal or generic dorks to trade with.

b) Cut down the number of ocassionals and consider making them more standalone, if possible. I think as many cards as the cube is too many.

c) Simplify your archetypes. I think you may have too many and some of them have little crossover or too many payoffs. For example, you can rework lifelink or replace it with enchantments. I'm also confused about some of the self-mill options in your cube and I don't think you run enough potential blink targets at lower costs.

d) Something I've learnt is that the some of the best ways to boost archetypese is to find cards that you won't feel bad about running in most decks but that can go beyond if given the proper synergies. From the top of my head, I mean cards like this:

None of these are going to lead to goodstuff decks but they will make janky discard or ninja tempo decks more cohesive.

Still, I like the unusual direction you've taken with your cube and I think you can go very far just by cleaning it up and revising it. The idea is good and I think you are skilled enough to pull it off :)

Drafted Erik’s cube. Started out with a couple tentative blue and black picks (flipJace and Shriekmaw) then went all in on artifacts.

https://cubecobra.com/cube/deck/5f6a016686811a692a547da7

The archetype felt extremely well supported, to the point that i had to wonder, is this your BDIF?
it was a fun draft! i would worry that i’ll be pulled into the same archetype every time. Blue and colorless are just so hard to balance with the other colors once you get to this kind of power level. i will have to draft a few more times and see what else pops out.

Drafting blacksmithy's cube...

Started off building around Tetsuko, Umezawa's Fugitive and Edric, Spymaster of Trest for an evasive tempo deck. I got a couple other pieces like Bow, Bident, and Champion....but that dried up a little as +1/+1 counters cards began to dominate the packs. There's definitely some overlap in the themes, but I felt a little conflicted as to which way to commit to. In the end Tetsuko was disappointedly abandoned because nothing really satisfied the stat requirements. I'd originally planned to strap rancors and the like to faerie seers and beat down while replenishing my hand via edric and bident, but ended up with a more midrange deck with the counters matters cards. I saw some hints at graveyard/dredge themes in simic, but didn't see an easy way to integrate that (as much as I wanted to run wonder)

I think Tetsuko might be a false lead in Simic as currently designed....it makes perfect sense with Edric and the like, but the creature suite didn't really synergize imo. Maybe it was just how the cards fell in the pack. I do think the deck would be fun to pilot regardless.

Reactions: dbs
Drafted Erik’s cube. Started out with a couple tentative blue and black picks (flipJace and Shriekmaw) then went all in on artifacts.

https://cubecobra.com/cube/deck/5f6a016686811a692a547da7

The archetype felt extremely well supported, to the point that i had to wonder, is this your BDIF?
it was a fun draft! i would worry that i’ll be pulled into the same archetype every time. Blue and colorless are just so hard to balance with the other colors once you get to this kind of power level. i will have to draft a few more times and see what else pops out.
Really glad you had fun drafting it! I don't know what BDIF is but I haven't found UB Artifacts to be too common. Artifacts as a whole probably is a touch more common, but since it can take so many different forms (Wildfire, Reanimator, Midrange, etc.) it's rarely an issue. I also expect people to fight over many cards that go in the deck like Mana Rocks, Gearhulks and cheap disruption.

Thanks to Minox too! Loved his decks :)

I'll draft your cube and Inscho's soon and see what I can help you with :)

Thanks for the draft! Tetsuko is a very new addition that i haven’t been able to test yet. i may not actually have a shell ready for her, at least not in U... i’ll try drafting her myself a few times.
EDIT: will draft inscho’s next
EDIT EDIT: BDIF = Best Deck in Format

Drafted inscho’s and ended up with a grindy mono-W Second Sun deck that could splash black or red for additional removal or wraths. lots of recursion pieces. i enjoyed the fact that i could continue taking white cards throughout the draft and not feel like i was “missing out” on the cool stuff the other colors were doing- and they were doing cool stuff, but the white cards felt just as cool and i was happy to take them and have that really solid Wx manabase with plenty of playables and really kind of a transformative sideboard.
The one thing that always makes me uneasy when drafting this cube is, there’s so many cool combo cards that i feel like you almost have to bring in this large memory aspect to know “okay if i draft this weird card, i need to look for this other weird card to get the sweet combo.” it seems like a cube that really rewards a stable, invested playgroup because there’s so many crazy things that are possible. so i always kind of freak out and just pick bombs and removal instead because i haven’t been able to play the cube on paper!
To be clear, this isn’t a gripe against the cube design, more a gripe about the limitations of CubeCobra and my own lack of player skill and knowledge. If your audience is capable of making the Rube Goldberg machines that are definitely in there, i’m sure they have a blast with this cube.

To @Erik Twice: Okay, at first, thank you so much for all this feedback! When you're working on something and putting so much thought into it, it can be a huge help to get a view from outside, you know, from someone who can't know your thoughts. Please don't think I'm ungrateful when I have to elaborate my thoughts to some of the points you mentioned :)

I drafted your cube a couple times. Some thoughts:

1) I had difficulties with the art style. I had to check many cards to see which ones they were and what they did because I did not recognize the picture. Seeing Link does not make me think of Den Protector. Many of your alternate art styles use fonts that are harder to read.

While noone in my playgroup has explained any concerns or problems yet, I totally understand that some people might not like alternate looks for different reasons. I invest a lot of time, work and even money to have my "fake cards" be readable and feel and look as real as possibel though, so I am aware of this potential problem. But it is probably not worse than having complete customs right? At least you knew what Link does after reading the title.

2) Complexity is very high. There are few cards that just do what you want, most have some additional twist or small detail. Many basic effects, such as disenchant, are attached to Morph, Kicker or increased mana costs which make them difficult to evaluate. In general, it feels there are few cards that I feel I can rely on, most of them have some sort of trick that requires me to evaluate them. For example: Is Mother Bear good despite being a 2/2? What about Morph Disenchant? Or Morph Card Draw? A Ninjutsu card in a control deck, is it worth running? I wonder if many of these cards provide enough extra value in their gameplay to justify them over simpler cards. For example:

This is a pretty bad card. I'll try to avoid it and run something else in its place whenever possible. Does the possibility of playing it as a 2/2 over a 3/1 and then turn them around and give another creature trample for one turn really add gameplay value? There are a lot of cards like that:

Yeah, I just added over 220 cards to my cube! Of course there will be some stinkers. But I think you might've also be overwhelmed by the amount of unknown cards and the low power level, which you're not used to? I don't think a Nantuko Vigilant is more complex than any of your green 3-drops, once you know how morph works. And "difficult to evaluate" sounds not all that bad, you know. Makes draft more challenging, adds variety and speaks for a flat power band.

Likewise, I think Winds of Rath is a very strong card. From those 5 you've listed I can only see Collapsing Borders being useless. Also, not that all these are occasionals too.

And it's funny you mentioned this card explicitly ...

... after saying there might be not enough cards you feel like you can rely on, since she's reliability in card form. She does something for 3/5 green archetype (madness, dredge, tokens) and is playable in every green deck ever in this format. A 2/2 for two is no bad place to start in this format, the power level is lower than you might have anticipated if you felt bad picking her. And double-flashback for 5 adds up for a solid early pick-level card.

While I'm not good at evaluating power level or anything of the sort, it seems to me the best way to win in your cube is to avoid as many awkard cards as possible and try to keep average card quality up. I also feel there are many cards that are, in the end, so similar that I don't think much is gained by them being different. For example:

I think these cards offer, if not a false choice, a very weak one. They could all be the same card and the impact on gameplay would be the same. I had this feeling that I had to put much more effort to understand the cards than I would in a typical draft but the resulting experience wouldn't be too different.

Later on you've said, that there aren't enough lifegain sources for the "whenever you gain life" cards, but here you say that Recumbent Bliss and Exile could be just more Arrests? How about Cage of Hands re-triggering prowess effects? Arrest rewarding you for holding it up for the creature with the annoying activated ability?

Yeah, they are close in power level, as was the goal, but they are clearly adding variety to the format. So even if I wouldn't be sticking to the singleton rule, I don't see a reason to unify my removal spells, when there are enough cool options at my power level.

There are also some cards that are just messy and it would be better for the enviroment if they could be replaced by simpler, more versatile alternatives:

Again, some of the new occasionals may turn out to be bad, but all three of these are here to spice up the draft.
Endrek is meant to let black dip into the GWr token theme, while also working great in black sacrifice decks. If you can untap with him, he is strong.
Plate Mail is a very flavourful wildfire/control finisher, that can also work as equipment. Crazy cards like this are what I wanted in the occasionals.
Response just got in because I had to fill another hybrid cycle honestly, but I like that any red or green mage can pick it up for the sideboard to really get the counterspell slinging control player. Weird sideboard cards is another category of things I wanted to try in here.

3) I feel control is hard to draft because the archetypes don't lend themselves to it or there are few cards that could fill a non-attacking role. For example, I don't think Ninjas can be used by slower decks.

There are only four Ninjas in blue in the core. And I think Sakashima's Student is okay as a straight up clone in control.

Also, I can assure you by heart that control, especially blue-based, is totally fine. There is a lot of relatively high powered countermagic, as well as card draw. Maybe you were just not priotizing those Miscalculations enough, because they tend to go later in a higher powered cube like yours?

4) I felt there were too many archetype cards and too little in the way of support or bread and butter spells, like removal. It's not an issue of power level, I would have been happy drafting Volcanic Hammer over Incinerate. Either way, I think you need more enablers (Life gain) and less payoffs (cards that trigger on life gain).

I will take note here for sure. It's just that I put a lot of effort into calculating how many support the archetypes would need (in different categories like enablers and payoffs) to make sure they will be well supported, even just by the 12 core cards. It might be, that some of my numbers will prove to be off, but that only time will tell.

Also, just in red, I run all these removal spells in the 360 core cube:

Abrade
Lightning Bolt
Incinerate
Arc Lightning
Blast from the Past
Fiery Temper
Magma Jet
Skirk Marauder
Disintegrate
Fireball
Firebolt

Not counting very archetype specific removal effects like Warfire Javelineer.

5) I disliked all the cards with heavy colored requirements or that otherwise rewarded you for it (Clockwork Servant) and I think bouncing your own morph creatures is too optimistic.

I really like to make mono color a thing that happens somewhat regularly. That's why included ~4 card for each color that tend to make you go for it in the occasionals (4 occasionals is = 1 slot in the core in terms of likelyhood of appearance).

All of these are clearly above the average stats in the environment. Since they are just occasionals it's not dramatic if they don't see play all the time, they'll be good once they do.

a) Revise your mana curve. I feel the average cost is too high and slower decks have few options in the early game that aren't removal or generic dorks to trade with.

It is possible that there is too much top end in the occasionals right now, I'll keep watch there. But my core has a very low curve. Like, conservatively low. To the slow decks point: What else would you want for these decks? I even have all the signets in the core.

[/quote]b) Cut down the number of ocassionals and consider making them more standalone, if possible. I think as many cards as the cube is too many.[/quote]

I have barely more experience than you, but for now I wanna try to embrace the chaos. Let the people slam their Godzilla-Titanoth Rex or build around Death Match and feel clever.

c) Simplify your archetypes. I think you may have too many and some of them have little crossover or too many payoffs. For example, you can rework lifelink or replace it with enchantments. I'm also confused about some of the self-mill options in your cube and I don't think you run enough potential blink targets at lower costs.

I know some of the lifegain payoffs are still narrow, but that's because the options are limited. Still I think most are fine on their own, like Dawn of Hope fuels itself and Malakir Familiar has a decent enough body for offense and defense.

Would you mind explaining the self mill point more clearly maybe? I'm curious :)

Still, I like the unusual direction you've taken with your cube and I think you can go very far just by cleaning it up and revising it. The idea is good and I think you are skilled enough to pull it off :)

Again, thank you a lot. Please don't think that I'm mad of you or anything, and maybe if we continue this topic we should do it via private message, but I just had the urge to explain some of the edges you stumbled upon to you and everyone who's crazyenough to read all this talk here. Maybe I should reanimate my cube thread to further explain what I try to achieve with the occasionals project.

To @everyone else who doesn't care: Inscho's Graveyard Combo Cube is next to be drafted and have a wonderful day!

Likewise, I think Winds of Rath is a very strong card. From those 5 you've listed I can only see Collapsing Borders being useless. Also, not that all these are occasionals too.
Sorry, what I meant to say is that there are many cards in your cube that have a lot of added complexity for very little gameplay gain.

For example, the possibility of playing Temur Charger facedown or flipping it over to give another creature trample is so small that it's not meaningfully different from a vanilla 3/1. You can play ten games with the card and never use its ability. This means you are making your cube harder to play to no actual gain.

For me the "trick" of evaluating the card is realizing that all that extra text is just filler. This is not fun. It's obfuscation, not depth.

I have the same issue with the other cards. They are just an undercosted fatty, a five-mana wrath with trinket text, one damage per turn, an unplayable draw spell and a more complex disenchant. Now, apparently there are no clean wraths at five mana so there's not much you can do about it.

Later on you've said, that there aren't enough lifegain sources for the "whenever you gain life" cards, but here you say that Recumbent Bliss and Exile could be just more Arrests? How about Cage of Hands re-triggering prowess effects? Arrest rewarding you for holding it up for the creature with the annoying activated ability?
What I mean is that these cards are all extremely similar and don't actually provide the variety in gameplay that it seems at first glance. Most of the time, they might as well be the same card in drafting or even gameplay. Now, this is often true of removal in cubes, I just think they don't offer a meaning choice.

Maybe you were just not priotizing those Miscalculations enough, because they tend to go later in a higher powered cube like yours?
It's just my impression after a few drafts, it might be wrong! I didn't see Miscalculation.

I have barely more experience than you, but for now I wanna try to embrace the chaos. Let the people slam their Godzilla-Titanoth Rex or build around Death Match and feel clever.
I just think the number is too large. I think a more focused experience would be better and also easier to build. I mean, you are building a cube with 720 cards, half of which only appear at a 1/4th of the frequency. I think cutting down might prove easier. After all, you can always go back and increase it after you get things sorted.

[qiote]I know some of the lifegain payoffs are still narrow, but that's because the options are limited. Still I think most are fine on their own, like Dawn of Hope fuels itself and Malakir Familiar has a decent enough body for offense and defense.

Would you mind explaining the self mill point more clearly maybe? I'm curious :)[/quote]
What I mean is that you need more cards that gain life and less payoffs. I saw a lot of cards that liked life gain but not a lot of cards with life gain I could take. It also seems difficult to move into the archetype without bitting the bullet. I would have liked a more natural transition.

As for self-mill, I'm just not sure of how much of a thing it is in the cube. Discard? Yes. But self-mill didn't seem to be as supported.

Again, thank you a lot. Please don't think that I'm mad of you or anything, and maybe if we continue this topic we should do it via private message, but I just had the urge to explain some of the edges you stumbled upon to you and everyone who's crazyenough to read all this talk here. Maybe I should reanimate my cube thread to further explain what I try to achieve with the occasionals project.
Haha, no worries. I just hope it can help you make your cube better :) Feel free to hit me up on anything you need, talking is how things get improved after all.

For example, the possibility of playing Temur Charger facedown or flipping it over to give another creature trample is so small that it's not meaningfully different from a vanilla 3/1. You can play ten games with the card and never use its ability. This means you are making your cube harder to play to no actual gain.

For me the "trick" of evaluating the card is realizing that all that extra text is just filler. This is not fun. It's obfuscation, not depth.

While I agree that the Horse is on the lower end of my power band, there are some cards that disagree with you here.

I have the same issue with the other cards. They are just an undercosted fatty, a five-mana wrath with trinket text, one damage per turn, an unplayable draw spell and a more complex disenchant. Now, apparently there are no clean wraths at five mana so there's not much you can do about it.

Leatherback Baloth has literally no text, how can there be obfuscating extra text?
And Winds of Raths extra text might matter alongside Recumbent Biss or Sentinel's Eyes. It's extra depth for almost no extra complexity.
Daru Sanctifier is really simple removal on a stick, that works with the morph theme.
Keep Watch and Borders might be weak choices, but at least I can say the latter was meant to encourage colorful deckbuilding.

I just think the number is too large. I think a more focused experience would be better and also easier to build. I mean, you are building a cube with 720 cards, half of which only appear at a 1/4th of the frequency. I think cutting down might prove easier. After all, you can always go back and increase it after you get things sorted.

You are definitely not wrong, but a focused experience is exactly what I don't want from the occasionals. So I'll try to find 360 hits, even if it takes some work :)
After all, you already helped me finding some of the lists weakest spots (Charger, Borders, Keep Watch), which helps alot adjusting the list!