The OkCupid Experience

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Is this still the relevant thread? Loved the article, Jason. You're funny. And adorable in that fur. But I'm having trouble with "If you message to quickly".

My major problem on okcupid seems directly opposite. I get messages from people who seem likable and my lack of motivation to get back to them coupled with my want to sit on it and find something comfortably pithy/charming to say usually ends up with them deleting their account before I ever get back to them. I thought it was gonna be a one off thing but it's happened a surprising amount so far. Maybe I'm just not in gear to be prowling / meeting new people?

It's funny I also tend to have a similar lack of interest or outright discomfort with prospects at bars or clubs, but I think it's because I'm usually there to spend time with friends or dance (/have a date). It's only when I'm not having a good time that I start bothering with strangers.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Is this still the relevant thread? Loved the article, Jason. You're funny. And adorable in that fur. But I'm having trouble with "If you message to quickly".

Yes, this is still the thread. My forum access is blocked from one of the sites where I do consulting, so I couldn't post the link here until I got home.

You guys actually check the front page without prompting?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
My major problem on okcupid seems directly opposite. I get messages from people who seem likable and my lack of motivation to get back to them coupled with my want to sit on it and find something comfortably pithy/charming to say usually ends up with them deleting their account before I ever get back to them. I thought it was gonna be a one off thing but it's happened a surprising amount so far. Maybe I'm just not in gear to be prowling / meeting new people?

Yeah, you're looking at someone who is on the dating market for the first time in his adult life, and has yet to be hardened by the cynicism of not having a perfect match handed to you on a platter.

It probably helps that I am in the 99th percentile in terms of "having fun while sending messages". My indifference combined with totally ludicrous messages seems to be a heady combination.

@ Jason:
Perfect Match is like so not me. I think I've dated enough of them so if I'm ever motivated to be with someone like that I just make a date to see some of my exes again.

I'm glad to see you are relishing dating and your online interactions so much though, it's really pretty heartening. I really like this series. Your flippant-ness is also kinda infectious.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
...you broke OkCupid like you broke cube.

Quick, somebody give Jason something else that needs breaking

It's funny, Jason seems altogether against powermax, something I tend to associate with people who are always breaking things. Or is breaking things more of a brewers idea, wanting to work outside what's already been solved?

All of this is really reminding me of dungeons and dragons. You get a really good illustration of how some people just want to find the mechanical advantage within a system when you sit down with diverse folks and play D&D. And somehow I got to dungeons and dragons from dating diaries.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
It's funny, Jason seems altogether against powermax, something I tend to associate with people who are always breaking things. Or is breaking things more of a brewers idea, wanting to work outside what's already been solved?

All of this is really reminding me of dungeons and dragons. You get a really good illustration of how some people just want to find the mechanical advantage within a system when you sit down with diverse folks and play D&D. And somehow I got to dungeons and dragons from dating diaries.

I do power max and EV calculations all day without even wanting to. Last week I made a utility comparison on the merits of idling my car for 20 minutes to qualify for reduced parking garage rates versus parking and touring a new city for 20 additional minutes.

I also know that the only games worth playing are the ones where power maxing is a fluid and difficult process. This all comes down to player hat versus designer hat. The two have much less in common than people realize.

CML

Contributor
its like youve known me forever

(i can confirm ive said that at least three times)

Yeah you don't see too much of those bold interior pallets here. I understand it's way more popular to have vibrant sitting rooms and kitchens in places that are perpetually overcast.

Rob Dennis

Developer
in response to the article.

we overlapped around 2 years in college, though I was on the other side of Pennsylvania at Lehigh. I had a similar upbringing/college experience including a very attractive friend of friend asking about my favorite Less Than Jake songs and I responded with a very opinionated and LONG treatise on their finer points*.
Obviously nothing happened there. Because I'm awful.

* Ska has never been cool. Ever. So I can only assume she was making a superhuman effort to get to know me.

Still down with the J-man after not really acting like much of a christian (or a non d-bag, for that matter) during college, but that's just me.
Hope that we find what you're looking for, and hats off to still sharing a home with your ex. I'm not sure I'd stop weeping long enough to check the mail; because I'm awful.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
You know, I haven't really cried about the end of the relationship. It died in such a long slow decline that when we finally had "the talk" there weren't really any overwhelming emotions or fighting or anything. She broached the subject, and my response was the equivalent of "yeah, you're right".

Hooray for being oblivious in college.

CML

Contributor
this is just totally wonderful. i was gonna type that woman gave seattle women a bad name but then i realized the primacy of Software in this town makes it the sexual equivalent of the Klondike. (anyone got any warthog anus?)

fwiw i kinda blew off an engagement tonight and ended up skyping with a Legacy buddy about StarCraft. the topic of gamer girls was broached; we agreed that we did not like gamer girls, by and large; it was further agreed this is a common sentiment among men with respectable self-esteem.

i should write about my all-consuming passions, they're kinda childish and infinitely regrettable. also mr wadds! a friend of mine is a 27yo divorcé too whose attitude is basically the same, though his was a BPD and so things were never quite as dispassionate. (do you ever feel bad for not feeling worse, or, like me, do you err on the side of not feeling bad for feeling bad?)