General The Pro Tour Sucks

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
That doesn't mean at all that chess is the better game though. Go is both less repetitive and it has a simpler rules set from which yet a multitude of different strategies emerge. It's such an elegant game really. Also, computers can't seem to figure out go. Where Deep Blue beat Gary Kasparov ages ago, computer programs are still at amateur level in Go... on the smaller boards.

I'm not sure if I buy that. Chess could expand its board size as well, which would increase strategic depth to a level approaching or exceeding Go, but those varients have never caught on. Both games have been so polished over the centuries to be what they are, that it seems like it would be really difficult to argue that one is strictly better than the other.

The problem with the word "better" is that it depends on how you define it. You could make a reasonable argument that these sequence heavy games are inherently less fun than something that focuses more on an element of randomness. :eek:

CML

Contributor
Chess's psychological element is way too weak to be the best game, anything computers can do well is of little interest to me. See that one Star Trek TOS episode. I will write a bit more about chess. The experience of playing is very punitive i.e. you can do a lot of things right and get fucked for doing one thing wrong, and there's no way to really resolve this aside from playing longer games that are more devastating when blown or being dedicated over a longer time period which is just bleh. I don't think the thought processes chess promotes are very interesting or metaphysical and the game places a huge emphasis on level-zero stuff, i.e. rote memorization. Chess demands far greater loyalty than even MTG to reach the top and though the purses are higher and the expenses lower I can't imagine more than a handful of people make a living from it, a black mark against it. Chess is an OK game to get OK at and a bad game to get good at, at least for me. I was (drumroll, please) the captain of my HS chess team.

I think the best game is poker, for longevity and popularity and I guess what we would call high replay value, but really just maximizing the function (number of idiots who will play * how long they will play * how much money they will play for * (how good they think they are - how good they are)). I also enjoy basketball, soccer, MTG, Scrabble and so on but if there is a non-sport game that gets better the more you play it beyond poker I do not know what it is. I have little knowledge of Go but the calculations are too complicated for the players to "objectively" know what's going on, which makes it better than Chess IMO. Games that are forced draws with optimal play, like Chess or Go or soccer, lose some points. Games that force you to question any notion about "optimal play," that make it a moving target, promote empathy and so on, get a bunch of point. Actually this entire question is not that complicated because it is treated by some 538 article. I think about this a lot.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member

I was in a pub with my mom the other day, and they had some board games, but the only good one left was Scrabble - which I hate. So we played Scrubble, which is the same, except you're allowed to misspell things amusingly and break rules. W's become upside-down M's, U's similarly can be lowercase N's. No vowels? That's ok, "PCFY" made me laugh, you can have that. You've got something, but it runs into the word "drove"? That's ok, "fetchdrove" is a word, right?

So that brings me to a total of 2 games of scrabble that I remember enjoying in my life. The other was when CML was staying with me, which was fun because we all felt equally miserable and had a bonding experience.

Scrabble is alright. I'd usually rather play Bananagrams. It plays much faster and has a more casual atmosphere, which I tend to prefer for word-creation games. I make it a goal to have some sort of inappropriate theme among all my words as the game progresses.

The best word-creation game I've ever played is Letterpress for iOS. It has a super interesting tactical mechanic to choosing letters on the board.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Scrabble is alright. I'd usually rather play Bananagrams. It plays much faster and has a more casual atmosphere, which I tend to prefer for word-creation games. I make it a goal to have some sort of inappropriate theme among all my words as the game progresses.

The best word-creation game I've ever played is Letterpress for iOS. It has a super interesting tactical mechanic to choosing letters on the board.

Bananagrams looks like fun. Any reason to play it with their set of letters instead of a scrabble set?

IDK. Scrabble is based on frequency of letters taken from a sample at a specific point in time.

B-grams might be based on a more recent sample, OR it might even be game-design-based instead, which is even better!

But I don't see why you couldn't use Scrabbo tiles. The points in the corner might unconsciously make people favor using fancy letters for no reason.

I think the distribution is very similar. Bananagrams has more tiles since each player has their own "board," but I imagine it would work fine if you only have a few players.

CML

Contributor
I was in a pub with my mom the other day, and they had some board games, but the only good one left was Scrabble - which I hate. So we played Scrubble, which is the same, except you're allowed to misspell things amusingly and break rules. W's become upside-down M's, U's similarly can be lowercase N's. No vowels? That's ok, "PCFY" made me laugh, you can have that. You've got something, but it runs into the word "drove"? That's ok, "fetchdrove" is a word, right?

So that brings me to a total of 2 games of scrabble that I remember enjoying in my life. The other was when CML was staying with me, which was fun because we all felt equally miserable and had a bonding experience.

French Trivial Pursuit in English

Poker's a dumb gambling game for gullible fools and cruel con-artist types of folk.

ur mom

Aoret

Developer
"An old acquaintance was there to support her boyfriend, a lugubrious and hairy argument against the “pro Magic” lifestyle. I sat down across from her and said hello; “I’ll talk to you later,” she replied, walking away in no particular direction …"

josh.jpg
I'm trying to figure out how I knew that you were specifically talking about her in your original article, and I'm weirded out that nobody else here got it even after you posted this, since you guys talk to each other all the time, have met each other, etc and all I do is lurk. Did you mention Thea in your novella or something and maybe that's how I connected the dots?

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I'm pretty sure C's mentioned her before, but I didn't make the connection at all. I guess I don't know enough about her. I used to love her content, but nothing's been posted on masked admirers in years.

CML

Contributor
nope, never mentioned her before. im going to go out on a limb and guess its because there arent very many women in magic cards

I know a 24 year old chick in Seattle. Likes to webcam for money and is a pretty big anime geek. Extremely introverted but always looking for NSA hook ups. Unfortunately for her, most dudes with any interest in her ironically want more than just casual secks. So she bitches about it on twitter while retweeting hentai.

I don't even know why I follow her. I have never watched her webcam show, I don't live in Seattle, and I'm not a big fan or anything. I guess now and then we talk on other sites about stuff but other than that, she's just some oddball I know of.

CML

Contributor
I know a 24 year old chick in Seattle. Likes to webcam for money and is a pretty big anime geek. Extremely introverted but always looking for NSA hook ups. Unfortunately for her, most dudes with any interest in her ironically want more than just casual secks. So she bitches about it on twitter while retweeting hentai.

I don't even know why I follow her. I have never watched her webcam show, I don't live in Seattle, and I'm not a big fan or anything. I guess now and then we talk on other sites about stuff but other than that, she's just some oddball I know of.

i know a gold-digger in los angeles and a careerist in new york.

so, uh, you can pm me those deets whenever

It can be public info. Not like it isn't already. @tipsycaek on twitter. Nothing special to look at but far from a nasty bish. Keep in mind if you embarrass yourself, she WILL publicly shame you with screencaps of the incident.

I like to think her and CML would make a good couple.

Made an account just to say how much I enjoyed this article, CML. I've always found the PT not that much different from the other environments in this part of the world (meaning: the people seem about equally crazy to me no matter what they are doing), but the picture you paint is one I both recognize and appreciate. I would have laughed with the Chapin joke.

CML

Contributor
It can be public info. Not like it isn't already. @tipsycaek on twitter. Nothing special to look at but far from a nasty bish. Keep in mind if you embarrass yourself, she WILL publicly shame you with screencaps of the incident.

I like to think her and CML would make a good couple.

dear lord

Made an account just to say how much I enjoyed this article, CML. I've always found the PT not that much different from the other environments in this part of the world (meaning: the people seem about equally crazy to me no matter what they are doing), but the picture you paint is one I both recognize and appreciate. I would have laughed with the Chapin joke.

let us speak of many things. it's not similar to eSports, is it, but i guess it is similar to other things that aren't spectator sports, is the comparison?