The Video Game Thread

72Y4Guh.png

Posting this Trainz screenie so the first thing MTGS refugees see when coming over here is a picture of a train. Hello refugees, welcome to 1890's Scotland!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I even enjoy the fan made content in the steam workshop.
too much will dilute the game, kinda like chaos draft where you just can't build anything with synergy, but 1-2 mods at a time is a sweet experience

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
It's a good game! And there's a way to go beyond the beating heart at the end ;)

SYYMvIZ.png
KLzAQj8

First try! The deck was pretty nutty. I started the run by giving up my starting relic for a random one, got Snecko's eye (makes all your cards have random costs) and went off.

The core of the deck was:

The Holograms were all upgraded so that they didn't exhaust. The Meteor Strike was bottled and always started in our opening hand. If you ever had a 0 cost Hologram and a 0 cost All for One in the same deck, you had a true infinite. Every time your Meteor Strike costs 0 is also nutty. I even got a perfect against that annoying Time Stealer boss. Fun times. And for 'still had all these' are two unused Fairy in a Bottles.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Yeah I have yet to kill the heart
I have a tendency to play fair magic, so a boss that strong is just a bit too much to not be doing something real broken

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
For me I totally partition 'fair magic' into interactive games between two players. Against a human I don't want to have 5 minute turns where I play 40 cards, but here I kind of view that as the goal.

Have you guys done Ascension runs? I've only done 2, and I felt like Ascension 1 almost made it easier because more Elites mean more relics.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
My first Daily Run had that hybrid character, and I got this set up:

plus the relic that gives you 3 more Orb Slots, and the Frozen Core, which gives you an Frost Orb every turn. This game is so fun, everybody go play it.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Snecko Eye is one of my favorite relics. You can get some really weird combos going :) I think my favorite strategy is Silent Shiv. I got the Time Eater boss playing that strategy one time and was like, how am I going to beat that with this build!? Apparently by playing 12 cards. Every. Single. Turn. :D

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Frozen core gives you a frost orb EVERY turn? not just the first?
Damn that's a buff to how I remember it, is that a boss relic?

I like to play at around Ascension 10! It's a fun little game. There are definitely more and less viable strategies/deck archetypes, but my biggest hints to players would be:

-small deck good. always remove a card at the merchant as your highest priority action unless you have like 300 gold and there's an extremely good relic
-build around your relics but only if the build itself is coherent
-just TRY NOT TO TAKE DAMAGE that's goal #1 the whole damn time
-depending on a level's boss you will need to be protected from either flurries of small attacks or very strong single attacks and unfortunately defending from these works quite differently! (armour good / bad respectively)
-try to storm out if possible. it's fun and good

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Just beat the Heart with such a dumb deck.

I had Mummified Hand (whenever you play a Power, a random card in your hand costs 0), tons of 0 cost cards, Runic Pyramid (no longer discard your hand) and Kunai (+ dex for every 3 attacks) and Runic Capacitor (+3 orb slots).

+ a bunch of rando powers.

Mostly you craft your hand so that when you play a power, Meteor Strike is your only non-0 card. Get it online. With Runic Pyramid you can hold any excess block cards you have. Then you open every turn with a full 10 card hand, 8+ energy and go to town. By the end of the fight my Steam Barriers were blocking for 20. Most of the difficulty of the deck is figuring out how to clear your crappy cards from your hand so that they don't get stuck there from Runic Pyramid.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
-small deck good. always remove a card at the merchant as your highest priority action unless you have like 300 gold and there's an extremely good relic

I'm super bad at keeping my deck from bloating. My last run finished with 50 cards.

I also feel that Act 1 is the hardest in a run. Usually deaths come to an Act 1 elite, so I have to take these mediocre attack spells to be able to clear Goblin Nob, and then they just water down my deck later on.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Anyone of you tried Riot's new free to play ccg Runeterra yet? It's set in the League of Legends universe, and it has a pretty nice mix of game elements from existing card games. They're in open beta, so far it's only available on the PC.

https://playruneterra.com/en-us/

I'm on the Western EU server, #moc

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Anyone of you tried Riot's new free to play ccg Runeterra yet? It's set in the League of Legends universe, and it has a pretty nice mix of game elements from existing card games. They're in open beta, so far it's only available on the PC.

https://playruneterra.com/en-us/

I'm on the Western EU server, #moc

No one? Come on guys and gals, so far this game is great, and the best part is, Riot doesn't seem to be in it for the money. There's an actual cap to how much real money you can spend each week, and there's no gacha mechanic, you can craft cards directly. "Boosters" only exist as quest rewards, that any player can achieve. I can't remember the last time a ccg leaned this heavily into f2p territory!

It does seem interesting, unfortunately I don't have a PC to play on right now. I always thought League of Legends had cool lore and worlds but felt that it was lost by only having Champions on somewhat generic maps. Interesting design choice to make the cards have "I" rather than "this card's name". A little bit less wordy, although it reminds me of...